1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

FJ front calipers on a T4R?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Redeyejedi, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Oct 10, 2020 at 8:39 PM
    Redeyejedi

Redeyejedi [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    A total chaos sticker
    So I want to run 16 TRD wheels. The clearance on the caliper is a no go. The 2013 trail teams fj cruiser was able to run them stock. Would anyone know if a caliper swap can happen to fit them? Are the bolt patters the same for the mount? Thanks

BB18A3CA-88FF-49A3-822C-3CCAFF800544.jpg

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. Oct 10, 2020 at 11:12 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    I would love to be able to run 16’s on the T4R

Thatbassguy likes this.
  3. Oct 11, 2020 at 4:24 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    You may be the first person to ever specifically aim to reduce braking performance through modification. This is a terrible idea in a lot of ways.

4. Oct 11, 2020 at 5:14 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    This would be my concern as well. I wonder how it might affect the ABS performance, and all of the other systems that use the brakes (A-TRAC, MTS, Crawl).

Otherwise, I would love to run 16's for a set of mud tires.

5. Oct 11, 2020 at 8:12 AM
    Redeyejedi

Redeyejedi [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Erik
    A total chaos sticker
    So fj cruisers with 16s have bad breaking compared to 4runners? Theses calipers came on previous versions of 4runners also. This is not a race car. It does not need to go from 120 to stop. Do you have anything to back up how this is a bad idea? Do you just think it’s a bad idea?

6. Oct 11, 2020 at 9:22 AM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    Do I have anything to back it up... yes, basic understanding of how momentum and leverage work along with some common sense. Reducing the the rotor size reduces the leverage of the brakes, which means reduced effectiveness. Not to mention the gross vehicle weight (maximum weight when loaded that a vehicle is rated for) is like 800-1000 lbs difference between the two vehicles. Obviously the engineers felt the need to up the braking power when adding a bunch of weight to a longer larger version of a very similar vehicle. I did not say FJ Cruisers have bad braking compared to the 4Runner, I’m saying there’s obvious reasons why they don’t share the same braking system.

7. Oct 11, 2020 at 1:47 PM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    I don’t think the software would be a major issue. It may not be ideally dialed in but in the end the brake electronics is based around applying or releasing pressure based on wheel speed. You possibly end up faults because operation doesn’t match what it’s expecting to see, but that’s pretty unlikely on a such old low tech vehicle. However, I didn’t even get into the thermal management issues that would come from overworking smaller brakes while reducing the amount of surface area available to transfer heat.

8. Oct 12, 2020 at 6:12 AM
    totmacher

totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Nautical Blue
    done some stuff to it
    I wonder if the difference is close enough that electronics might not flip out.

2005 -2015 Tacoma sr5 and off-road came with 16" rims too. Maybe other years too. Swapping the bigger 4R brakes onto Tacoma was a thing so i have to think you could go the other way too.

See if you can find a FJ or Tacoma at junkyard and grab the parts. Might put you out about $100 and a day of your time. Worth it if it works. If not, oh well.

Products Discussed in

To Top