1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First responders POV lighting question

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Spielightdude, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:51 AM
    Spielightdude

Spielightdude [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post here.
    I do not yet own a 4 runner but am going to be getting one within a year or two once my older corolla is paid off.

I look forward to learning alot and to be part of the community.

I have alot of plans thoughts and ideas once I do pick up my 4 runner it will be a limited due to the center locking differential.

Model years I am looking at are 2018-2020.

For those who are first responders first let me thank you for your service.
    I am a vol fire police for my town and as such i use my pov to respond.

One thing i am debating is as for now i have dash suction cup lights that work for now but am sick of cords.

I am wondering for those who have both external and interior light bars do you like them and pros and cons possibly of each.

I dont want to be extreme but need coverage on all 4 sides of it for safety.

Thanks and sorry this is so long.

Othet plans i have a cb install, custom stereo, front brush gaurd for now.

GMonk likes this.
  2. Feb 26, 2019 at 7:58 AM
    Large

Large New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Volunteer firefighter here, thanks for your service. If you want to mitigate seeing the cords you can easily do so by running the wiring down the pillars (both inside and outside of the vehicle). I personally don't like to use service lights on the outside of the vehicle, it makes it look bulky to me and I prefer them to be more subtle. Do you have any lights picked out?

Also center lock in the limited? I think a rear locker would be better depending on where you live unless you need AWD, in which case stick with the limited but you could save some money and get a TRD-OR with a rear locker, but if you're dead set on a limited you really can't go wrong.

Good luck.

Spielightdude[OP] likes this.
  3. Feb 26, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    Spielightdude

Spielightdude [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    I was looking at some interior lighting from q company close to me strobes n more.
    They have a bunch of items and all carry a 5 year warranty and also carry whelen, federal signal ect.

I don't plan to go offroad hut do need to be able to go through deep snow and back dirt roads as i live in a country/ farm town.

If I would only need the rear lock differential I would probably go with the TRD premium.

4. Feb 26, 2019 at 11:17 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    I don't have a setup in my Runner but I had a lighting / siren setup for years in all my other cars for vollie EMS use back in Ohio. My most recent setups were pretty boss, using mostly LED products from Strobes-n-more and take-off used sirens from the PD that I converted to handsfree, I think a PA300 was the last model I installed.

You can build a nice 360 degree system using dual LEDs on the headliner up front, wig wags in the headlights, LED hide away bulbs in all 4 corners, TIR-3 or similar pods in the back window, TIR-3 or similar pods in the grille. Removing the covers on the A-pillars allows wiring access to the headliner and everything else can be wired behind or under existing panels or seats so all wiring is neatly hidden away. 3 switches can run everything - one for front and sides, one for rear, and one for siren.

I personally am not a fan of external lightbars on POVs. Internal lightbars are okay but I think you can build a more efficient, multi-level system for a lot less if you spec it out yourself.

Spielightdude[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top