1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First generation rear bumper (aftermarket options?)

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by sharky86, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Sep 4, 2021 at 8:16 AM
    sharky86

sharky86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1986 blue/white 4Runner
    Hey there! New member just trying to find a solution in the vortex that is the internet…o_O

I have an ‘86 4runner, I don’t use it for crawling, just, some mild off-roading, camping, and daily use (I need 4wd to get up my driveway, I live in the country, mostly crazy old fire roads). Been trying to find a rear bumper/receiver option for less than $500-$2k! I’ve heard folks say that the first gen runner bumpers are fairly interchangeable with any from Toyota pickups of the era (up til ‘95 maybe?)… anyone had any luck with this? Just looking for a simple looking bumper that can hold some tongue wait without bending, planning to out a hitch cargo carrier on the back.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Sep 4, 2021 at 12:02 PM
    kgwags87

kgwags87 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Guy
    Vehicle:
    1987 4Runner
    I put a curt on my 87 with a 2in receiver bolted up just fine under original bumper

3. Sep 5, 2021 at 8:11 AM
    sharky86

sharky86 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1986 blue/white 4Runner
    Thanks for the response. I’m looking for a bumper, not just a hitch. My rig is currently bumperless, I need to find a bumper that will fit, with a hitch receiver built in or ability to attach one, be able to hold 300+/- pounds (tongue weight) and ideally not cost $500++. The Marlin Crawler option is great but seems overkill for me since I’m not doing any crawling, just mild off-roading. Am I just dreaming up a unicorn or is this a thing folks have found??

To Top