1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Female seeking advice on extreme rock crawling with infant

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Daniellejf31, Aug 9, 2018.

?

Taking a 6 month old out on a rock crawling adventure?

Poll closed Aug 29, 2018.
  1. Yes, how fun!!

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No, that's insane!!

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Aug 9, 2018 at 9:52 AM
    Daniellejf31

Daniellejf31 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danielle
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota 4runner
    Lots of mods to accommodate rock crawling
    Hello, I am a new first time mom. My husband and I have a 1995 4runner that we do some pretty extreme rock crawling in. We have been doing this for about 5 years now, and wheeling season is fast approaching where we live, We will have a 6 month old when the first trip arrives and i desperately want us all to go as a family, however i'm concerned doing this with a 6 month old. In sketchy situations, I've always gotten out of the runner in case it flips, and I plan to continue to do that, I would just like some advice or recommendations on anything that has helped you for those of you that have been in this situation. If you think im crazy for wanting to take my 6 month old on the trails?

2. Aug 9, 2018 at 10:16 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eureka, Calif
    Vehicle:
    '17 4R SR5 4WD x 2!
    Things with stuff, but nothing much
    Yes, poor decision. At 6mo the kid isn't going to have any fun or remember the trip, and will be a liability in the event of a crash.

3. Aug 9, 2018 at 11:01 AM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    yes

Bob likes this.
  4. Aug 9, 2018 at 11:28 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5
    Slightly modded
    Child endangerment.

5. Aug 9, 2018 at 11:32 AM
    TO’TA

TO’TA Send it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 4x
    Stock af
    It is a much different experience when you don’t know to anticipate the bumps and drops. I take my young kids on light off-reading and it doesn’t take much to freak them out. And my kids are nuts and adventurous. But they don’t like when the truck starts bouncing around...

6. Aug 9, 2018 at 11:50 AM
    COexplorer

COexplorer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Graham
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off Road
    You people are overreacting. A child in a car seat would be fine in the event of a slow speed rollover. Car seats are designed for high speed rollovers.

As far as having fun, I don’t think I would enjoy a crying child while four wheeling, but who knows, maybe the bumping would rock them right to sleep.

4WALKER, thefatkid and Chiefcrunchy like this.
  7. Aug 9, 2018 at 11:53 AM
    Daniellejf31

Member:
    First Name:
    Danielle
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota 4runner
    Its not like its just my husband, baby and myself. We have a huge group with lots of families, and the drive is extremely slow when we are in the trails. This is literally what its like....12 to 15 vehicles, when we get to the first actual area where any climbing is necessary...a line forms with all the vehicles...all the guys get out and literally watch one another "climb this area" & this often takes an hour...sometimes 2.... all the wifes, kids...dogs..get out of the vehicles and pretty much hang out, drink, kids running around like loonies.. & some people have babies...often we meet up with new people and not everyone necessarily talks, Ive seen several people with infants but never showed interest before because i didn't have kids myself.

Chiefcrunchy likes this.
  8. Aug 9, 2018 at 11:54 AM
    GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner OffRoad
    Why even subject a 6 month old to that kind of environment. The risk of an accident with a 6 month old is just idiotic.

Backslider and justinfro like this.
  9. Aug 9, 2018 at 12:00 PM
    Daniellejf31

Member:
    First Name:
    Danielle
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota 4runner
    I dont know what kind of "environment" you would consider it?

10. Aug 9, 2018 at 12:11 PM
    Daniellejf31

Member:
    First Name:
    Danielle
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota 4runner
    Child Endangerment??? um no...

11. Aug 9, 2018 at 12:28 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Why even ask a forum if you don’t want to constructively think about and reply to comments.

I would never take a 6month old baby on a trip like that. Will the child be fine? Probably. Is it the best idea? No.

It just not a good idea. The fact you asked a forum shows you also had your doubts.

12. Aug 9, 2018 at 12:46 PM
    Daniellejf31

Member:
    First Name:
    Danielle
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota 4runner
    looking for more actual advice from someone that has been in the situation/ does it/ did it/ been around anyone that did it... and actually I asked elsewhere because i wanted to know about people first hand experiences and i actually received it. I didn't realize so many mall crawlers would jump on this? obviously any sketchy situation you get out of the vehicle if your not driving.. and that would be the case... but actually people have recommendations on car seats that are more padded and accessories to make it more comfortable...things to bring along that someone might now know because its their first time, baby carries that are easily accessible to put baby in...someone saying "no i wouldn't want to bring a 6 mo old because i don't want to deal with crying and being outdoors..bla bla bla" obviously that is acceptable criticism. are we going to drive off a cliff? no... is the vehicle going to be in a situation where it can lay on its side or slide and bust a window....absolutely, are we going to be sitting in it during that particular situation? no but to jump on the band wagon and say "child endangerment" Am i dangling my kid off a damn cliff? noo...

13. Aug 9, 2018 at 12:53 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Getting out of the vehicle while in flexy off camber situations would be the best plan I believe. That would take 85+% of the danger out of the equation. The car seat will be just fine. Like others have said, it’s made for high speed crashes. The seat probably already has head support but if not a rolled up towel will help support.

14. Aug 9, 2018 at 1:11 PM
    Daniellejf31

Member:
    First Name:
    Danielle
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota 4runner
    & i don't want to sound like a jerk, its just not fair for someone to comment things with out evaluating the situation as a whole. & for example..on a different thread else where, someone suggested having a light blanket close by at all times because they were sitting in their crawler waiting their turn to climb and the vehicle in front of them shifted a boulder, and under that boulder was a beehive and it got crushed and the bees went insane. Everyone in their group had to run and they luckily had a blanket they threw over the baby while running away and had to start a small fire and wait awhile for the bees to calm down.... so now they pack a small little bag to quickly grab with necessities in it and a blanket near by every time they go out...answer's like that is what i'm looking for... and again i don't want to sound like a jerk

15. Aug 9, 2018 at 1:26 PM
    jester243

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    ok, as a parent no, I would never have taken my son on a rock crawling/wheeling trip. There were just some things we enjoyed doing that we chose to wait until he was older so he could have fun and be part of the activity and try to avoid unnecessary dangers. Besides if we took him at 6 months we would have been preoccupied with him instead of doing whatever we went out for. YMMV

**also you did ask if we thought you were crazy...

16. Aug 9, 2018 at 1:35 PM
    Daniellejf31

Member:
    First Name:
    Danielle
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota 4runner
    & I completely understanding waiting until your child is older to enjoy everything together & not wanting to be preoccupied with in infant, Absolutely that sucks sometimes.

17. Aug 9, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    jester243

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    good/bad news is how quick they grow up

18. Aug 9, 2018 at 2:32 PM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Diego, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5
    Slightly modded
    Yeah, that was a little harsh, i apologize. I have seen people take there very young kids out to the desert with some bad results. Once again sorry.

19. Aug 9, 2018 at 2:54 PM
    MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Eureka, Calif
    Vehicle:
    '17 4R SR5 4WD x 2!
    Things with stuff, but nothing much
    You assume everyone on this forum is a "mall crawler", or are the "mall crawlers" just those that stated they would not suggest taking a six month old along?

There's a lot of guys with experience and off-road smarts on this forum, and a lot of us are certainly not in mall crawlers nor do we crawl the mall. A few of us have kids or had little kids who have now grown up and might could have grandkids, even, so maybe their thoughts - thoughts you asked for - aren't to be discounted in such a cavalier fashion.

I'm no poster boy for responsible parenting when it comes to motorized vehicles - sometimes you gotta risk stuff for them to get an appreciation of the hobby, and I've ridden my share of stepkids and a grandkid around without a helmet on dirt bikes - but I think most people are telling you 6 months old is too young. The kid won't appreciate it and you will quite probably be hating life several hours in since he's going to let you know how little he appreciates it.

Ultimately, it's your kid. Do what you want. I have zero dogs in the fight.

PS, if you take him you should have an enclosure that you can close to keep any crying muffled. But don't drill air holes because then it won't be waterproof anymore.

[​IMG]

20. Aug 9, 2018 at 3:44 PM
    Daniellejf31

Member:
    First Name:
    Danielle
    Vehicle:
    1995 Toyota 4runner
    I'm accepting everyone's answer's with an open mind, but it would be nice to have a little back round as to why that person thinks what they do...& if that person is not going to give any insight to why they believe what they do...Yes i am calling them a mall crawler because it makes me feel better...if someone says "no dont do it, a crying baby is annoying to people" its not a personal attack on me and i'm not insulted. that comment is duly noted in my messy bun brain. Do I actually know if they are mall crawlers..of course not!! and does it really matter... probably not.. I do not assume everyone on this forum is a mall crawler....I drive a "mall crawler taco" if that's what you want to call it.. I'm active on Tacoma world and know first hand these sites are beyond filled with grandpas with knowledge that I couldn't pull out of someone else ass if i tried, because my ass certainly lacks knowledge when it comes to this stuff...

"sometimes you gotta risk stuff for them to get an appreciation of the hobby" - Agreed.
    and if you have any recommendations on an enclosure to muffle the crying....preferably a pink enclosure. I wouldn't want anyone to think my mini is a boy. The girls are out to play!

alittleoff likes this.
  21. Aug 9, 2018 at 5:30 PM
    yardsale

yardsale New Member

Member:
    No. Not a good idea. Nothing wrong with taking a child 4wheeling. However, at six months his neck is not strong enough to keep his head in check when bouncing around. Which you do even on dirt roads. I say wait till two. This is coming from a guy who had his son on a two wheel bicycle by age three and a motorcycle at four.

WallyT4R likes this.
  22. Aug 9, 2018 at 7:51 PM
    Chiefcrunchy

Chiefcrunchy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Between North and South
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma TRD 4.0 6spd, '16T4R SR5
    SAF! Temporarily
    Go for it, all the guys i wheel with bring their wives and kids and everyone has a blast!
    You are clearly confident in your(and your husbands) abilities. As long as the baby is in a seat what difference is it than going for a drive on the freeway!? Oh yeah the freeway every moron under the influence of god knows what is out doing 80.
    Crawling you're going maybe 5, and the situations that could be dangerous you get out.
    Have A blast, get the family started early.

This coming from the guy whose parents took him whitewater rafting as a toddler ~2yo.

COexplorer likes this.
  23. Aug 9, 2018 at 9:09 PM
    Porkchopexpress

Porkchopexpress New Member

Member:
    I’m throwing in another vote for bad idea. What kind of terrain will you be in when you have to get out of the the truck while your husband traverses extreme obstacles? The type where you might lose your footing and fall on your baby? That and the possibility of neck injury from jarring bumps, it just seems like a lot of risk with very little gain. Do you not have someone you trust to babysit?

24. Aug 11, 2018 at 6:52 AM
    Chiefcrunchy

Chiefcrunchy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Between North and South
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma TRD 4.0 6spd, '16T4R SR5
    SAF! Temporarily
    Dont justify your hobby and spending time with your family, be careful take your time, have a blast!

As I said everyone i go wheeling with brings their kids(2yo and up) as often as possible, more quality time with the family enjoying the outdoors. So maybe an infant cant appreciate the sights, but one day the baby will grow up. Would you rather have a kid sitting at the computer or learning to drive and bond with you?
    rock_crawling_t_shirt_for_baby_crawlers-r5d9a0b77ec8a4d9c9d949c943fbb785c_j2nhc_307.jpg
    003898c043cd134160d200e0338dec24.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  25. Aug 11, 2018 at 8:51 AM
    JBTRD

JBTRD Hunting, Fishing, Lovin' Everyday

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Lox, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 trail
    Now im no experts as i do not have kids, but i think that is a little young to doing things like that. Why not hire a baby sitter for the weekend, and go out and rock crawl for the weekend, get a vacation from all the crying and go out and enjoy it.

26. Aug 11, 2018 at 10:00 AM
    rockybird

rockybird New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Trd Pro
    “In sketchy situations, I've always gotten out of the runner in case it flips, and I plan to continue to do that”. But can you safely remove your child too? Can you extract him safely from the car before it flips?

At 6 mos., the baby is very vulnerable. His skull is not completely grown around his brain and his brain is still developing. This is why he cannot talk, cannot walk and is not able to control his bowel/bladder. The neurons in his brain are still maturing and migrating to the appropriate positions in his cortex so that he can mature. You dont want to disrupt his brain development with an injury or jarring motion. Even if a very small risk, why take a chance when if something goes wrong, your life and his could be altered forever? Can you remove him from the truck before attempting a potentially dangerous maneuver? I personally would not take him, but maybe you can figure out a way to have him with you, but keep him out of potentially dangerous situations.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  27. Aug 11, 2018 at 3:34 PM
    totmacher

totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Nautical Blue
    done some stuff to it
    My rule of thumb for any trail riding is that kid is generally able to help support their own body while truck bounces and able to communicate any discomfort somewhat specifically. I think the youngest of mine was 1.5 maybe when he went.

For serious crawling, I'd want mine able to run away from danger based on verbal instruction (minimal physical help from me).

WallyT4R likes this.
  28. Aug 11, 2018 at 7:26 PM
    Backslider

Backslider Gun Nerd

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tooele, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4r SR5 Premium ************ 2016 Tundra TRDor
    Spent all my gun money. =(
    Your poll isn't "which offroad car seat should I use?" But instead is "is it ok to do this?"

I have 3 kids. I take my almost 2 year old in long overlanding trips, but this isn't rock crawling.

I wouldn't have taken her at 6 months old, partly because it seems like an unnecessary risk for a baby, and partly because a baby deserves better than to be strapped in a seat for hours on end.

It sounds like you've made up your mind, so I hope you are safe and that your new baby'sbest interests are at mind. Dont be upset when people give opinions that you directly asked for.

tackleberry1145 likes this.
  29. Aug 18, 2018 at 8:30 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Yeah I'm gonna vote no on this one also. Just the jostling back and forth could possibly break that babies neck. Or cause him/her to have issues later on. Not a smart decision to put a baby who can't even hold it's own head up in that position. But its your baby

To Top