1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fed up with parking brake!!!

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by McSpazatron, Oct 23, 2022.

1. Oct 23, 2022 at 5:44 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I’m a bit frustrated with my parking brakes, and I feel like im in alternate universe because nobody else seems to complain about this.

Is it still a general expectation that parking brakes be capable of holding the weight of a car on an incline in neutral? (Neutral being the important part, because a failed parking pawl in the transmission would result in the car rolling.)

Because when I learned to drive, I kinda learned that was the whole freaking point…and it was also for use as a redundant emergency brake.

But I’m just about ready to re-adjust my parking brake for the third time in 37000 miles. It just doesnt hold the vehicle on any incline AT ALL after 10-15k miles of daily use (I always set my parking brake). It will work well after initial adjustment, but, I think that three adjustments in this amount of miles is excessive.

Currently, it has friction, but not enough to hold it from rolling. So basically, the parking pawl on the trans always holds the weight of a vehicle, and you get that big “clunk” whenever it needs to go into drive.

I know the “drum in disc” design is much weaker than drum brakes of yore, but these parking brakes are ridiculous. My old Sienna had the same type of parking brake, and it worked fine.

I asked a toyota tech about it, and he said they dont have a “self- adjustment” mechanism, and they normally suck.

Does anybody know a way to improve how well they’ll hold? I might just take the discs off to see if something looks wrong in there. Just wondering if anyone know of any failure points or things to watch out for when I disassemble things.

What’s weird is that Ive been able to lock the rear tire up with the parking brake going 5-10mph…but they cant really hold the vehicle's weight on a little incline.

2. Oct 23, 2022 at 5:46 PM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    Push harder. Like, manhandle that biatch. Mine was fine 30k.

Tama1968, DUSTYDOGDAN and Toy4X4 like this.
  3. Oct 23, 2022 at 5:49 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    It’s pretty common the runners come underadjusted from the factory. Take it to dealer or do it yourself to tighten the cable.

kolter45 and Toy4X4 like this.
  4. Oct 23, 2022 at 5:58 PM
    McSpazatron

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    The cable? Or the drum shoes? Im asking because I usually adjust the shoes through the little hole on rotor, until the drag is just right.

Should I be trying to adjust cables somewhere else?

5. Oct 23, 2022 at 6:05 PM
    McSpazatron

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Always do. I’d like for it to be able to hold after 3-5 clicks, but after 10-15k miles, it needs to go down to max, and it still wont hold on an incline.

In fact, right now, I am able to push the pedal down to the point it runs out of clicks… it will actually return a bit. Maybe that’s the problem? I should count the number of clicks until it stops clicking and compare with someone here.

6. Oct 23, 2022 at 6:12 PM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    Well, either you learn how to adjust it or back to the dealer it is

kolter45 likes this.
  7. Oct 23, 2022 at 6:29 PM
    Stoney Ranger

Stoney Ranger New Member

Member:
    Driftless Area
    Vehicle:
    '18 SR5 Nauti Blue
    4x Rockers/Skids-Dobi-275's-Fr/R Bpr-Winch-Stickers-ALF
    I'd play with the cable. I seldom use my parking brake, and it'll hold Alf no problem.

8. Oct 23, 2022 at 6:53 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    I’ve honestly never messed with it in the 3 years I’ve had mine. I’ve just heard that it’s a cable adjustment issue. I need to do mine.

9. Oct 23, 2022 at 7:17 PM
    DallasTRDPro

DallasTRDPro New Member

Member:
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Honda CRV...UGH!
    Never used one unless manual trans.

hossler1788 and Trail Runnah like this.
  10. Oct 23, 2022 at 7:24 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I just need mine to work once every two years when I get it inspected. Otherwise I never use it.

suaveflooder likes this.
  11. Oct 23, 2022 at 7:27 PM
    McSpazatron

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR

Which is the reason I posted this, hoping somebody can give me some pointers to help me figure out a more “permanent” adjustment.

Basically, I use my parking brake all the time. And I’d like to think it was designed to be used every time you park.

If they are made to be used daily as a backup safety device, then I gotta believe they shouldnt need to be adjusted so frequently. Especially since I’ve never had to do this as frequently on other cars with “drum in rotor” designs.

There have been three mentions of cable adjustment…. Hmmmmm. I’ve never adjusted shoes that way before, but now I am starting to wonder if that should be my next step.

But my memory, as weak as it is, makes me think making cable adjustment is opening can of worms…I just dont recall why I think that. Anyone ever make cable adjustments that can educate me?

12. Oct 23, 2022 at 7:39 PM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    I don’t have a specific answer to this problem (BTW, my parking brake doesn’t work either, but I haven’t adjusted it - waiting for the first tire rotation) but back in the dark ages, when we replaced drum brake shoes there was a bedding-in process. Sometimes this happened on the drum lathe, where the new shoes would have their arc matched to the drum. I believe there was another shade-tree mechanic version that involved intermittently driving with the left foot on the brake, or a series of panic stops or something.

In any case, the parking brake on the 4Runner never gets properly bedded in, because it always gets pressed against a stationary drum. Maybe there’s a process for doing it.

kolter45 and McSpazatron[OP] like this.
  13. Oct 23, 2022 at 7:43 PM
    suaveflooder

suaveflooder New Member

Member:
    I put mine on every night, but yeah…. I wouldn’t expect it it stop the truck in neutral. I’ll adjust it….eventually

14. Oct 23, 2022 at 7:51 PM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    This is in the manual.

[​IMG]

So now we just need to find out what the procedure is. I bet bedding in the parking brake is on the list of often-neglected dealer prep items, like setting the tire pressures to spec.

15. Oct 24, 2022 at 12:05 AM
    McSpazatron

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Very interesting!!!! Where in the manual was this?

Somebody else mentioned applying the parking brake in motion on occasion to keep everything bedded in. I’ve done that a few times and it kinda seemed to improve things a bit. But not for that long (obviously, judging from my pissing and whining lol). Also, not knowing how much was too much, I did a few parking brake stops from 10mph and called it a day fearing i was going to overheat them.

16. Oct 24, 2022 at 12:10 AM
    McSpazatron

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Mine will actually stop the truck from 10 or 15mph. In fact, ive actually had it lock up the rear tires!

My problem is that it cannot hold the truck stationary, if its in neutral, parked on a slight incline.

So ironically, it works as an emergency brake, but not a parking brake lol

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  17. Oct 24, 2022 at 1:37 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    I'm wondering, what if you parked on an incline, set the brake, and the vehicle rolls - then you go for a brief drive, stopping a few times with the e-brake only - then try that same incline to see if braking 'cleaned up' the drums? Thinking here that discs get rusty with lack of use. Maybe drums do too when the shoes never get the opportunity rub the drums clean.

McSpazatron[OP] likes this.
  18. Oct 24, 2022 at 5:01 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I've heard of people adjusting the cable before, but I've never gone through with it.

If I remember correctly, there are 2 places to adjust. One on the frame rail closer to the rear end and the other is under the center console.

Not sure if you can just adjust one point and be good or if you have to adjust both points.

Wish I could be of more help but I don't have experience with this one.

kolter45 and McSpazatron[OP] like this.
  19. Oct 24, 2022 at 6:29 AM
    TrueTexas

TrueTexas New Member

Member:
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Grey 4Runner TRD ORP
    If repeated adjustments aren't working, have you pulled the rear rotors to inspect the drums/shoes for any contamination or checked the parking brake mechanism for broken or misaligned parts etc...?

McSpazatron[OP] likes this.
  20. Oct 24, 2022 at 6:50 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
  21. Oct 24, 2022 at 8:18 AM
    McSpazatron

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    I think the multiple points of cable adjustments is what made me think cable adjustments were a can of worms. Thanks for the reminder. I’ll put this last on my list, and look into this once everything else checks out.

This is definitely on my list to do. Although my parking brake issues predate a couple of trips that had me going through water and mud, it will be interesting to see how much mud has gotten into any of the works. I definitely am planning in pulling the rotor to look.

These videos show how I have adjusted them so far. Appreciate the links anyway, because it led me to another vid. On that vid the guy said that poor performance of the P brake…he mentioned there are spring/pins that hold the shoes on, which sometimes fall out and drop to the bottom and lead to bad p brake function.

…of course, I closed that window and lost it lol. But at least now I have that info in my head lol

22. Oct 24, 2022 at 10:30 AM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    Page 176 in the manual, in the section titled “Breaking in your new Toyota.”

This is from a page regarding Hyundais:
    “Drive the vehicle at 18 to 22-MPH and activate the EPB switch to bring the vehicle to a full stop. NOTE: The EPB will automatically release if vehicle speed exceeds 30 MPH.

Allow the brakes to cool after each of the 6 EPB applications. (Drive .3 miles between applications to cool the brakes or let the brakes cool for 1 minute after each application).”
    Of course the EPB (electric parking brake) part is not applicable, but I think the rest of it might be.

I think that after this procedure it would be wise to adjust the parking brake with the star wheels.

23. Oct 24, 2022 at 11:54 AM
    McSpazatron

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Thank you!!!

Edit: I just did this. 22mph to stopped, 6 times, with a minute or more cooling time in between.

On a very slight incline (maybe quarter bubble). It will hold the vehicle after clicking to maximum, 13 clicks. Anything less it will roll backwards in neutral. Interestingly, it holds much better against rolling forward, not sure why.

I imagine things will be better once I adjust it at the drum. Im rotating tires today, so hopefully can get this done as well.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  24. Oct 24, 2022 at 1:05 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    13 clicks on the pedal or the star wheel?

25. Oct 24, 2022 at 1:44 PM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    Like many, I rarely use my parking brake. I do realize I should use it more often. If I'm ever parking on an incline and want to be cautious, I set the brake and turn the wheel so the vehicle will end up in the best spot should all parking measures fail. This doesn't fix the brake, but it addresses the real concerns - to me, anyway.

26. Oct 24, 2022 at 1:52 PM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    So I can tell you this is a real issue, and not just for 4Runners. My Land Cruiser has the same issue and the correct way according to a few Toyota mechanics and one Toyota mechanic who doesn't work for Toyota all said it's the adjustment on the disc/drum like you were doing.

However, after getting frustrated I tightened the cable in the center console. It's not the *Correct* way but it worked great. I think the reason it's bad is that if you replace the brakes later, it's going to be too tight.

Also, the reason you're likely experiencing the issue over time is because those drum brakes are always rubbing, always touching *just* a little.

27. Oct 24, 2022 at 2:45 PM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    Looking forward to your results after you adjust the brake.

Out of curiosity does anyone know what the spec is for the number of clicks of the pedal required to properly engage the parking brake to hold on a grade?

28. Oct 24, 2022 at 3:23 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    If I remember correctly, I think the manual says somewhere around 8 clicks.

29. Oct 24, 2022 at 3:40 PM
    McSpazatron

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Well, I have a problem of some sort. The passenger drum/shoes adjustment feels weird. I cant get a solid max tightness…just feels mushy and slowly takes more tension to adjust tighter, but no solid stop like the other side.

Also, If I loosen it, the rotor is still hard to turn. Cant do it by hand, have to use a lever across the wheel studs to turn it. Planning on taking off the caliper to see if I can get the rotor off.

Timing is wonderful…as these things tend to go. Sunset, and it’s outside…

30. Oct 24, 2022 at 3:46 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    Take the rotor off and see whats happening.

Products Discussed in

To Top