1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

exterior window run seals

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by Raptor22, Apr 22, 2022.

1. Apr 22, 2022 at 6:48 PM
    Raptor22

Raptor22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner
    17" steelies from an FJ cruiser
    I have a '92 4runner that the rear window exterior seal is messed up. i have a new one to install but i cant find anywhere on how to install it. can some one help me with that? Im trying to kinda restore the truck, and more if anything prevent water ingress to stop rust...

(sorry if im posting this in the wrong area i did try to search for it and failed)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  2. Jun 16, 2022 at 4:41 AM
    Dmoranz

Dmoranz New Member

Member:
    Landrum,SC
    Vehicle:
    1994 Toyota 4Runner 3.0 slow 5 speed
    Many; rebuilt engine, Egr delete, exhaust cross over pipe delete, OME rear springs, ARB front Bumper, warn winch, custom rock sliders…Lithium house battery, solar PV to keep the beer cold.. Victron controllers……..…..really nice SURF graphics !…. And a slight oil leak ..from somewhere?
    I have a 94 4 runner . When I close the tail gate you can here the rust pieces inside raffle around.
    Search you tube on how to grease the rear window gearing. They describe how to take apart the rear gate to get to the window gearing.
    Once you have it apart. All the top trim needs to be removed. The narrow silver trim piece on the inside of the tail gate snaps out.
    The top plastic trim piece (with the locking mechanism) unscrews and un clips.
    Most likely once you get down to the old outer rubber seal it will have plenty of rust under it and once carefully removed…. Will look like shit under there. Don’t despair, clean it up. Use a small dremel tool with a wire brush to get rid of the rust. Paint the edge with a rust inhibitor (corroseal or T9, Amazon) then use some clear silicone under the new seal to help make it stick in place.

It’s a bitch repair, definitely a bit of TLC required. No one else will do it for you. but it’s a sweet 25 plus year old Toyota truck!

3. Jun 16, 2022 at 6:48 AM
    Raptor22

Raptor22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner
    17" steelies from an FJ cruiser
    Well I replaced three very (cancerous) rusted out doors already, swapped the components of each door over and painted them to match.. (sorta match). I ordered the run channels for each window but every time they were wrong. a bunch of wasted money, that i cant return them. I finally found an OE Toyota channel that actually worked on the rear window, and what a difference the correct part makes... I only had to wait 4 weeks for it to show up hahaha.. now my 4 passengers doors need that new channel each, but finding them is actually kinda hard. I used the old channels from the replacement doors fore them temporarily, while i wait to find the correct ones. after breaking down the door panels i think i have it down.. I have to now find a replacement driver door since the rust there is actually more inline with the last three super bad doors. by all weirdness this truck is rusting but not in places that's hard to deal with, just the doors. the rear window tailgate works very well, and I hear no crinkling of rust there, so until that breaks, I'm gonna now ignore the back window (due to now having a good seal)

who would have thought that finding parts for a 30 year old truck would be easy...

Products Discussed in

To Top