1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

EPA wants to ban our mods

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by MI-FL off roader, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Dec 28, 2019 at 5:13 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader [OP] T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    I hate politics and stay out of it for the most part, but, This is the kinda crap that Pisses me off to no end. There are plenty of other issues that need attention. Stomping on a thriving industry is unacceptable. Posted by Gadget at URD:
    It is our belief that businesses should stay out of politics unless it directly affects the business and industry. This is a case where it does. The EPA is trying to shut down the automotive aftermarket and destroy a viable industry that employs a vast number of people. Please consider signing this petition to save the industry and preserve your right to modify your vehicles and race cars. https://view.message.sema.org/?qs=7...85742399fe17035594f721aeac56e7cc3b544a93030af

TN_FunRunner and WallyT4R like this.
  2. Dec 28, 2019 at 6:06 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
  3. Dec 28, 2019 at 6:13 AM
    Scooterman

Scooterman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    MidMo
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD PRO
  4. Dec 28, 2019 at 6:30 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    Oh and we need to share this as much as possible. Fire at will people!!

5. Dec 28, 2019 at 7:25 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Why would the Trump run EPA do this?

6. Dec 28, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Chris In Milwaukee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, Magnetic Grey Metallic
    Not enough detail to blindly sign a petition. References to the proposed legislation?

7. Dec 28, 2019 at 7:47 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    Nope, it was posted by Gadget from URD so I shared it.

8. Dec 28, 2019 at 7:50 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    This is on the SEMA website:
    Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act
    The “Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act” clarifies that it is legal under federal law to modify the emissions system of a motor vehicle that is converted for race-use-only. If passed, the legislation will protect Americans’ right to modify street vehicles into dedicated racecars and industry’s right to sell the parts that enable racers to compete.

Problem:

The U.S. Congress exempted race vehicles from regulation under the Clean Air Act in 1970. However, in 2015, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) asserted that it is illegal to convert a motor vehicle into a racecar if the vehicle’s emissions system no longer remains in its certified configuration. The agency alleges that the Clean Air Act exemption only applies to purpose-built race vehicles (NASCAR, Formula One, sprint cars, etc.). EPA is also claiming authority over any emissions-related parts produced, sold, and installed on motor vehicles converted for racing.

Since the Clean Air Act’s enactment, SEMA is unaware of a single instance in which the EPA previously took the position that the law applies to motor vehicles converted for race-use-only purposes. Before the EPA announced its new interpretation in 2015, industry had a clear understanding that these vehicles are excluded from the Clean Air Act.

Solution:

The Recognizing the Protection of Motorsports (RPM) Act:

• Confirms that it has always been Congress’ intent that racecars are not included in the Clean Air Act’s definition of regulated “motor vehicles.”
    • Makes clear that it has always been legal to modify a street vehicle into a racecar used exclusively at the track.
    • Confirms that modifying these vehicles for exclusive track use would not be considered tampering and subject to substantial fines.

Scooterman likes this.
  9. Dec 28, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    Charlievee

Charlievee New Member

Member:
    And now you have something in common with the 2nd amendment crowd. Its about control. Not the products.

10. Dec 28, 2019 at 7:46 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Why would the FBI target Trump? Why would the House try to impeach him? etc, etc, etc.....There are bad eggs in every branch of government.

11. Dec 29, 2019 at 5:09 AM
    Chris In Milwaukee

Chris In Milwaukee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off Road Premium, Magnetic Grey Metallic
    I read through the EPA press releases and enforcement actions after your SEMA reference and didn’t see anything specific about what SEMA was describing. That said, there were a lot of enforcement actions in 2019 against a lot of manufacturers, especially those doing diesel mods that bypass DPF and other emissions equipment. I can see both sides of the argument.

The problem, in my opinion, isn’t that EPA is trying to take away your ability to create purpose-built rigs. The problem is that there are too many people circumventing the system. “I don’t care what the law says, I’m going to take XYZ off of my vehicle, roll coal because I love dumping black smoke into the convertible beside me at the traffic light” kind of garbage. If you’re a street racer, and you’re driving on the city streets, not the local race track, then you’re not a purpose-built race vehicle. You’re just another jerk on the street flipping off the man making it harder on the folks who are legitimately building purpose-built race machines. This, of course, in the spirit that I’m sure this post was intended.

I appreciate that SEMA is working to ensure that folks who want to race, regardless of where and how, have an opportunity to do that. But we have to do our part as well to ensure the ability to do so is maintained. Otherwise we’re shooting ourselves in the foot.

12. Dec 29, 2019 at 7:29 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    I agree that laws and enforcement for the situations you described are needed. But leave it at the state level like it has been. Why do the feds need to be involved? Washington has a way of lumping a broad description of infractions into these type of laws. As well as the risk of riders on these bills that get passed, that could create problems for us all, in ways we can't imagine right now. I would love to see the state's enforce against bubba diesel blowing smoke into every Prius he comes across. But, I doubt that problem exists as bad in say NJ, compared to Fl where I live. Our inspections have been gone for years and it shows. There's a million beater cars with defective cats polluting way more than the race/drift/off-road vehicles these type of laws will go after.

13. Dec 29, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    But Trump is responsible for appointing the head of the EPA. Scott Pruitt and Andrew Wheeler are Trump appointees. Much different than independent entities like the House who have voter appointed representatives.

Neither of these EPA appointed administrators are particularly stringent on environmental issues. Pruitt has described himself as a "leading advocate against the EPA's activist agenda"and has received hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from the fossil fuel industry. Wheeler was a lobbyist against the Obama administration's climate regulations for power plants and also sought to persuade the Energy Department to subsidize coal plants, just as a couple of examples.

This why I asked the original question, why would the Trump run EPA do this? This doesn't seem like an issue they would want to enforce. In fact, it seems opposite of what they would do. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    WallyT4R[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Dec 29, 2019 at 9:57 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    I thought that would be the case with Trump's people as well. I have found there are older publications about this subject. So it may be a left over from Obama's admin, so for whatever reason it's resurfacing. It could be a smoke screen for a rider that's involved, or a power play by the aftermarket industry, trying to make us think there is something going to get voted on when there isn't.

nimby[QUOTED] and WallyT4R like this.
  15. Dec 30, 2019 at 9:39 AM
    Ajmogen

Ajmogen Staying Stock

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2016 Red Tacoma. 2017 Red 4R. 2010 Red Yaris. 2022 Red Corolla
    Liscence Plate Surround
    I'm ready

WallyT4R, Scooterman and nimby like this.
  16. Dec 30, 2019 at 11:55 AM
    Charlievee

Charlievee New Member

Member:
    Is it to much to ask that the government leave us alone?

17. Dec 30, 2019 at 1:50 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    That's what it sounds like. You would think the Trump admin would squash it quickly if it had anything to do with the Obama admin.

Products Discussed in

To Top