1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driver's side front noise

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by 4runnerlover, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Oct 10, 2018 at 1:02 PM
    4runnerlover

4runnerlover [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5 (super white)
    I have a 2014 SR5 with 64,000 miles on it and I have been hearing a slight noise when driving over small breaks in pavement ONLY when going slow. Even though it is only a small noise it is absolutely driving me crazy!!! It does not do it when I'm driving fast over big bumps, pot holes, etc. It sounds like something small is just loose. I know nothing is wrong because I just had new tires put on this past Friday and they told me everything is solid under there and nothing was wrong. AHHHHH!!!!
    I have read that this is a common problem with 4Runner's, and when checked out, there is nothing wrong. So, it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one with this noise. Anyone been successful with pinpointing the problem?

2. Oct 11, 2018 at 8:01 AM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    64K miles the brakes may need replacing. also with the tires messed with this can be a problem because tire shops use air guns and IMO using air guns on these lug nuts is not what I would do.. have someone remove the front tires and inspect for any damage .. check the brakes / lug studs / hub for any play and the tie rods for damage ..

possible the inner fender plastic was damaged flopping around ..

80ft lbs torque on the lug nuts ..

3. Oct 11, 2018 at 11:13 AM
    4runnerlover

4runnerlover [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 4Runner SR5 (super white)
    Thank you!!!
    My husband and I actually figured out what the noise was last night. You would’ve never thought, but it was my hood latch!!!! It was rubbing and we sprayed it with a little WD-40 on it and presto!!!! I am so happy to finally be driving with no noise!!! Who would’ve thought? Haha

jgcaps likes this.
  4. Oct 11, 2018 at 6:00 PM
    ruiz4251

ruiz4251 "but it was funny huh?"

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    next time try dry lube or garage door spray. helps with dust buildup. good you figured it out.

jgcaps likes this.
  5. Oct 12, 2018 at 5:39 AM
    j cat

j cat New Member

Member:
    massachusetts
    spacer lift front 1inch
    the hood has stops on the frame fender if these are too low the hood will vibe..with hood closed should not feel loose should be snug .

6. Oct 12, 2018 at 6:00 AM
    ruiz4251

ruiz4251 "but it was funny huh?"

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    j cat makes good piont.
    unscrew them a little...should be able to twist them to snug fit again.

Products Discussed in

To Top