1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Driver side rattle

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by tessakoz, Oct 3, 2022.

1. Oct 3, 2022 at 9:11 PM
    tessakoz

tessakoz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner SR5
    I finally got a good video of the driver side rattle. It only happens at 33mph, both in 2wd and 4wd so it’s not the needle bearing. I swear it sounds like it’s coming from the steering wheel area, or somewhere inside the dash. It’s been inspected by the dealership (probably not well though). Just this weird buzzing rattle. It’s not the windshield, or the rubber flaps behind the wheel. I’ve read a thousand threads on this but nothing sounds quite the same as what I’m hearing. If you can tune out the road noise, you can hear it pretty clearly. Sounds like a buzzing, or metal rattling.

https://youtube.com/shorts/6w6Gx6CFbm0?feature=share

2. Oct 4, 2022 at 12:21 PM
    Emmantik

Emmantik New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Magnetic Grey SR5P
    I've noticed the same sound. I was thinking it was some loose wires from aftermarket accessories I've stuffed behind the dash trim. Have you run any wires behind there for aftermarket parts/accessries? I still haven't narrowed it down yet tough.

3. Oct 4, 2022 at 1:20 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    You guys either have the hearing of a dog, or I am losing mine...I don't hear anything.

4. Oct 4, 2022 at 2:51 PM
    tessakoz

tessakoz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner SR5
    @glwood turn your phone volume all the way up, and tune out the road noise. Once you hear the rattling, you can’t unhear it lol trust me

5. Oct 4, 2022 at 2:52 PM
    tessakoz

tessakoz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner SR5
    @Emmantik nope no extra wiring. I’ve had it looked at twice by 2 different mechanics too

6. Oct 4, 2022 at 2:58 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Mine had a rattle that sounded like it was coming from the front left, turns out the rubber splash shield in the front fender was a little loose, it would rattle it speed. I just wrapped a zip tie around the inside of the Christmas tree fastener to make for a tighter fit, and that solved. It. Been silent for the past 3 years.

Nevin likes this.
  7. Oct 4, 2022 at 3:53 PM
    tessakoz

tessakoz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner SR5
    @Trail Runnah i thought it was that too but it wasn’t. It sounds like it’s coming from the steering column or somewhere on the left of the drivers side

8. Oct 4, 2022 at 3:55 PM
    Tilley’s Tundra

Tilley’s Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    21 Barcelona Red Venture
    100% This exact thing was happening on my wife’s 21. Crazy, we could only hear it once in a while. Usually at speed. Found the YouTube video about it, checked hers, and it was a no doubter!
    Not my video, but here is the link.
    https://youtu.be/-_hA92YhMiQ

Don1, enjm1021, KilluFirst and 3 others like this.
  9. Oct 4, 2022 at 4:03 PM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    I have an occasional buzz that sounds like it’s coming from the driver’s mirror. Turns out it is - there’s a plastic trim piece on the underside of the mounting portion of the mirror. If I tap on this piece I can tell it’s a little loose, like it doesn’t snap in firmly. I haven’t tried to fix it. Knowing is enough for now.

tessakoz[OP] likes this.
  10. Oct 4, 2022 at 5:02 PM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    Mine 2020 does it too at random times, more so on windy days.

tessakoz[OP] likes this.
  11. Oct 4, 2022 at 5:43 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    This question is asked only with diagnostic intent, not to be an asshat ;)

How have you verified it is not the splash shield? Was it by tying them down tight like in the video above?

It’s been firmly established that these splash shields are nothing more than entitled little shits that enjoy making noises….simply to watch owners chase their tails and slowly lose their minds trying to find them. At night you can hear them laugh. It’s kinda messed up, I know…

Give them an inch, they’ll take a mile (and your sanity). Tie those things down tight if you havent already. Maybe that way you can break their will, and have them use their talents for good…. I’m planning on training mine to make hawk noises at night, to keep rodents away.

12. Oct 4, 2022 at 5:57 PM
    tessakoz

tessakoz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner SR5
    @Tilley’s Tundra that’s what I thought it was too, I did have the dealer but tighter bolts and I taped it down, still hear the rattle though lol. So I don’t think it’s those

13. Oct 4, 2022 at 5:58 PM
    tessakoz

tessakoz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner SR5
    @McSpazatron yeah I’m pretty sure it’s not those because I’ve taped them down lol. I don’t mind living with a rattle, I just want to make sure it’s not the pre-noise to something happening. Like driving down the road and all of a sudden my tires fall off lmao

14. Oct 4, 2022 at 6:05 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Darn, I was hoping it would be simple. Those things are still little shits though lol.

Hate to say it, but sometimes with noises like this, it’s a matter of waiting them out until something reveals itself. You got a suspension lift right? Sometimes something not quite to specified torque can cause noisds. Since I doubt the dealer would have gone and retorqued everything just to verify that, then it’s a matter of waiting it out, keep chasing suspects, and or DIY or pay someone to do everything you suspect it might be.

tessakoz[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  15. Oct 4, 2022 at 6:35 PM
    tessakoz

tessakoz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner SR5
    @McSpazatron yeah I have an appointment next Friday with a shop here that specializes in off-road and modified vehicles. Not that mine is heavily modified lol, but im hoping they can find it. I have a list going of sh*t I think it might be, im gonna give it to them. I was just hoping someone else had the same thing happen and by chance see this thread. I’ll keep everyone updated in case anyone else has something happen. And if my wheel pops off while I’m driving, I’ll post about it lol

16. Oct 5, 2022 at 3:53 PM
    Burnt Taco

Burnt Taco "Like that's just your opinion, man".

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, Wife's 2020 SR5
    I've had a noise seemingly in the front driver's side dash since I bought mine and had been chasing it ever since.
    Tried ALL of the classic remedies, but to no avail. I'm a bit OCD so it really drove me nuts. On a whim I adjusted the hood bumpers thinking "what the f" and the noise is now gone. The noise was kinda a shifting low frequency rattle (subjective). The reason I hadn't tried it before is because it wasn't the classic hood squeak. The bumpers were all the way down so turning them up a few cranks apparently did the trick.
    I'm less annoyed now.
    ☠️

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    Captain Spalding and 2Toys like this.
  17. Oct 5, 2022 at 4:23 PM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    Check your engine compartment now and then, after rain and such. I’ve read that if you raise those too high, water and dirt can get in there.

18. Oct 5, 2022 at 4:27 PM
    Burnt Taco

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, Wife's 2020 SR5
  19. Oct 5, 2022 at 4:53 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Really good point. The hood is another entitled brat that enjoys mocking it’s owner. It’s amazing the level of ventriloquy some of these parts engage in (hood, splash shield both usual suspects).

Good point on checking for seal if you adjusting the rubber stops. I had a sienna that let in a ton of winter salt spray after I adjusted mine to make body panel lines perfect.

I’ve had the hood latch itself make squawking injured duck sounds. But who knows what other sounds they can imitate…it’s worth checking that even if you dont think it’s the sound. Hood latch is easy, just wipe down the dirt on the u shaped latch, clean the surfaces on the latch itself, and putba tiny amount of lubricant on shiny spots where there is metal to metal contact.

20. Oct 29, 2022 at 8:13 PM
    Sandman317

Sandman317 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 AG ORP

Wow, glad I saw someone else has this issue. I thought I was going crazy and hearing things. Mine does that as well. If I have my radio on or kids with me I never hear it, but if I’m solo and just trying to enjoy a nice quiet drive I can hear it. If you find a solution please let me know!

tessakoz[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  21. Oct 29, 2022 at 10:05 PM
    Nevin

Nevin New Member

Member:
    Puyallup, WA.
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD ORP
    PPF, Tint, Black out badges/Valances. Bilstein 6112's & 5100's
    This^^^^^^^
    Drivers side rubber splash shield had lots of slack towards the rear. I undid a couple clips, pulled taught, punched 2 new holes and reinstalled push clips.

Sandman317 likes this.
  22. Nov 1, 2022 at 9:07 AM
    JayEmVee

JayEmVee New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    I have the exact same sound. It happens from 40 mph to about 60 mph. I don't think its the splash shield. I gorilla taped them down and the noise was still there. I also taped the loose plastic piece under the mirror. Still, the noise came back. I'm losing my mind over this. I guess I will try the hood bumper adjustment, even though I am not sure what they are?

tessakoz[OP] likes this.
  23. Nov 1, 2022 at 3:14 PM
    JayEmVee

JayEmVee New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner
    Holy s**t! Rotated each hood bumper about 1/2 turn ccw, the hood shut firmly, and no more buzzing! I don't know why that did the trick but who cares. Thank you BURNT TACO!

24. Nov 3, 2022 at 4:58 PM
    tessakoz

tessakoz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner SR5
    I’ve checked the splash guards too, it’s not those. Doubt it’s the hood, it sounds like it’s coming from inside the steering column. I haven’t updated because I am still dealing with it all. Steering wheel is shaking slightly at 47-61mph now too. Going tomorrow for a road force balance. If the force balance doesn’t fix the shake or the rattle/buzzing noise, I’ll head to the dealership since it only has 12k miles on. Glad to hear you found a solution though! I’ll ask about the hood clips tomorrow too.

25. Nov 3, 2022 at 6:36 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR

Forgive my memory, but was it you that also posted about loud AT tires that were making a whomp whomp whomp sound ?

Because I just rewatched your video and realized that rattling noise is perfectly synchronized with the frequency of the tire whomping noise.

The sound of the tires seems loud enough to feel in the cab. Is that the case, can you feel cyclical vibration from the tires?

I bet the tire whomp is hitting the natural frequency of something on/in the body or dash. Is swapping back to stock tires an option? Heck, even rotating front to back might be enough to break the resonance with whatever is rattling.

I know AT tires can be loud, I have KO2s that are just starting to get louder as the mileage racks up. But the sound should be an even hum, with none of the cyclical whomping like I hear in the video.

Seems like one of your tires is oval shaped. If that’s the case, and if that’s the cause of the rattling or shimmy, balancing them will not solve either of those problems.

Also, if you’re hoping that the dealer will warranty it, they’re probably going to say it’s the tires. So if you still have the stock tires, put them on before you take it to them.

On a related note, I took my 4r to the dealer to for the needle bearing. Mechanic took it for a drive and reported “could not reproduce. Loud off road tires!” That’s a quote, and it’s all that was written on the report. He was referencing my KO2s, which were not as loud as they are now, and were vibration free.

2Toys and Burnt Taco like this.
  26. Nov 3, 2022 at 8:14 PM
    Burnt Taco

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, Wife's 2020 SR5
    Just a placebo.
    :rofl:

Actually did the trick in my case.

tessakoz[OP] likes this.
  27. Nov 3, 2022 at 10:28 PM
    tessakoz

tessakoz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner SR5
    Yeah I posted that other thread too! I had an alignment done and we rotated the tires, it fixed the whomping sound but the buzzing is still there and the steering wheel still shakes. I’ve read a ton about the shake, most people have it fixed by force balancing, but I’ve read some people have not been able to fix it - even swapping the tires. So now I’m trying to narrow it down - first gonna force balance, and if that doesn’t fix it then I’ll change the tires and see from there. Trying tackle the steering wheel shake, and then circle back to the buzzing noise. The buzzing is only at 33mph. It’s so weird. I’ll post updates after tomorrow. Send good vibes haha

28. Nov 4, 2022 at 9:11 AM
    tessakoz

tessakoz [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 4Runner SR5
    Just came to update - force balance fixed the shake. I feel it baaaaarely at 55-57mph, nothing close to what it was doing before. Still have the weird dash buzz, but for now I’m happy the shake is gone.

2Toys likes this.
  29. Nov 4, 2022 at 9:16 AM
    Burnt Taco

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, Wife's 2020 SR5
    You'll get 'er.

tessakoz[OP] likes this.
  30. Nov 4, 2022 at 11:02 AM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR

That’s good! The dash buzz is still at 33mph?

Products Discussed in

To Top