1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dorman M12-1.50 Locking Lug Nuts - Damaging my TRD Wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by WHITE16SR5, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Jul 10, 2018 at 12:15 PM
    WHITE16SR5

WHITE16SR5 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Premium
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift, Camburg UCAs, TRD wheels, Kumho AT51 Road Venture, Baja Roof Rack, Tint
    I just had my 25,000 mile tire rotation on my '16 SR5 which has a 3" lift and TRD wheels. The dealership told me the aftermarket Dorman brand spline locking lug nuts that I purchased at Autozone were actually elongating the holes of the TRD rims. They refused to reinstall my wheels if I insisted on using the aftermarket lugs. They said it was a safety issue and I had to use lug nuts made specifically for TRD wheels?

It costs me $130 for their OEM lugs (with one locking lug for each wheel). I normally challenge things like this and do hours of research but I didn't have the time, I OK'd the install of the OEM lugs.

Has anyone heard of this before with aftermarket spline locking lug nuts and TRD wheels?

2. Jul 11, 2018 at 9:05 AM
    SnowroxKT

SnowroxKT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R TRD Offroad
    2018 T4R Offroad SAS 1995 Tacoma
    Sometimes the splined locking lug nuts are made to be super low profile, post up a picture of them. This could actually be a valid concern, but might also be a quick jab at getting some extra $$.

3. Jul 11, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    WHITE16SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Premium
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift, Camburg UCAs, TRD wheels, Kumho AT51 Road Venture, Baja Roof Rack, Tint
    I will have to remove a few lugs to be able to take a pic and illustrate what the dealership's service department said. They refused to reinstall the tires unless I provided or bought from them the stock TRD lugs. I was at work and didn't have time to challenge them, they offered to send pics but I said it was not necessary so I authorized the $130 expense just to be done with it. This weekend when I have time, I will pull some lugs and if I find no elongated holes, I will try to recoup my $130. There have been quite a few people that have viewed this thread but apparently no one has come across this issue or has decided not to speak up if they did. That makes me think the dealership may have been playing games, but I try to give people the benefit of the doubt (and be less paranoid that everyone is out to rip us off). Anyways, I will post pics if I find some elongated holes.

4. Jul 11, 2018 at 11:02 AM
    jester243

jester243 rabble rabble rabble

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium w/ KDSS
    I changed some lights, tires and tinted windows...mind blowing huh
    I searched and didn't see anyone else mentioning wheel damage, just cosmetic damage to the lugs themselves. Good luck man!

5. Jul 11, 2018 at 11:26 AM
    WHITE16SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Premium
    thanks Jester243, I will check it out this weekend and see if they scammed me for a measly $100

6. Jul 12, 2018 at 4:08 AM
    CollinJ

CollinJ TRD Off-Road

Member:
    South NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Premium
    Bilstein TRD Pro Suspension - TRD skid plate - TRD CAI - AFE Pro Dry Filter - 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2’s - LFD Off-Rod roof bars - Ellis Percision Shift knobs - Canvasback Cargo Liner - Blackout Emblems - Diode Dynamics interior LEDs
    That’s pretty shady to me..... refusing to put your wheels back on unless you buy something.... I get the “safety concern” thing but did they not even offer to show you the “damage” the lugs were doing?

Almost sounds like one of the guys in the back broke a lugnut or 2 and used this to cover it up....

Let’s us know what you find out!

7. Jul 12, 2018 at 4:47 AM
    WHITE16SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Premium
    CollinJ,

They offered to send pictures (see my earlier post) but I was at work and too busy, they also were going to allow me to bring to them stock lugs. They did not insist that I had to buy from them. I am kind of paranoid or suspicious of the auto repair industry in general because most shops are opportunistic, but in this case, I don't think they would make up an issue and offer to send pictures if a one of their techs broke a lug nut.

All that said, the fact that not one other user on this forum had a similar situation does have me a bit perplexed.

CollinJ[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jul 12, 2018 at 5:01 AM
    CollinJ

CollinJ TRD Off-Road

Member:
    South NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Premium
    Bilstein TRD Pro Suspension - TRD skid plate - TRD CAI - AFE Pro Dry Filter - 265/70/17 General Grabber AT2’s - LFD Off-Rod roof bars - Ellis Percision Shift knobs - Canvasback Cargo Liner - Blackout Emblems - Diode Dynamics interior LEDs
    Ah I missed that in your earlier post, my bad.

I’m also very paranoid of dealerships and really any auto shop. I’ve had some bad experience in the past with damage being done and then they tried to cover it up... aye

9. Jul 12, 2018 at 5:05 AM
    WHITE16SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Premium
    It's cool, I would be very suspicious too reading my post, suspicious of the shop, but I have been dealing with them for years and really don't think they would make this up just to sell lug nuts. Again, I could bring my own and they would install but refusing to install wheels with the aftermarket lugs is a strong statement. Maybe I will reach out to Dorman's customer service to see what they say. Standby.

CollinJ likes this.
  10. Jul 12, 2018 at 5:38 AM
    thefatkid

thefatkid New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    OldManTan
    4th Gen 4Runner life
    Were the Dorman lug nuts acorn style while the OEM Toyota Lug nuts were shank style?

RPS1030 likes this.
  11. Jul 12, 2018 at 5:51 AM
    WHITE16SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Premium
  12. Jul 12, 2018 at 6:29 AM
    Roman

Roman New Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Roman
    You should definitely not be using that style of lug nut on that wheel. The TRD wheels take the OEM style lug nuts which have a flat washer on the end like this:

[​IMG]

You were using conical lug nuts that look like this:

[​IMG]

They were very right to change out those lug nuts. I've heard some horror stories from people using incorrect lug nuts on wheels not made for them. Hope your wheels aren't toast.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    rsimi72 and RPS1030 like this.
  13. Jul 12, 2018 at 7:19 AM
    WHITE16SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Premium
    Thanks Roman. The shop indicated the wheels were not toast but would be if they allowed it to continue, so I am thankful they caught the problem. It would have been better if the mechanic who rotated my wheels the last time was aware of the issue but atleast they caught it this time.

Roman and CollinJ like this.
  14. Jul 12, 2018 at 7:30 AM
    Dtopgun515

Dtopgun515 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Hey Yall Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 Premium and 2013 TRD Sport Tacoma
    None...yet...
    I've never heard of this specifically but i've always had some sort of different wheel on my vehicle other than a factory wheel and usually always been taught that different lugs were needed differnt than factory. I've never really looked into the whys. In your case i feel like it makes since what they are telling you. I am also pessimisstic towards dealerships and mechanics but with me knowing that different wheels in some cases require different lugs I would probably come to the conclusion the dealership is being honest in this case. Factory wheel needing a factory lug.

15. Jul 12, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    WHITE16SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Premium
    I agree so lets help spread the word to our fellow 4Runner friends.

jgcaps likes this.
  16. Jul 12, 2018 at 9:18 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Holy shit, you used the tapered style lug nuts on the wheels that specifically call for a flat lug nut? Yeah, that's dangerous as fuck and could easily cause damage to the wheel... and to the vehicle...and to other vehicles... and to people... when the wheel flies off.

Did you replace all 24 lug nuts with the locking style or just 4 (one on each wheel)? If you only replaced 4, then the dealership put the penis to you charging you $130 to replace 4 lug nuts... I guess $130 for 24 lug nuts is about right for a dealership to charge.

Just put the OEM SR5 lug nuts back on and be done with it, return the ones the dealership sold you. If you have to have locking lugs then replace one lug nut on each wheel and use the correct design lug nut to do it.

17. Jul 12, 2018 at 9:35 AM
    WHITE16SR5

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    Hampton Roads, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Premium

Damn Dude, make me feel like an idiot and menace to society. ....LOL........Apparently I am the first one to make this mistake or at least the first to say so on this forum.

I replaced all lug nuts and one on each wheel is a locking lug nuts. My truck is an SR5 but I put TRD wheels on when I had the lift installed. The impression the Service Advisor gave me was the TRD wheel require a specific lug different than the SR5 wheel, but I didn't even consider using my original lugs anyways. Again, they called while I was at work and very busy, initially they had me thinking my TRD wheels were now useless (and I would have to buy 4 new wheels somewhere) so when they said it would be $130 to put OEM lugs with one locking for each wheel, that are for TRD wheels, I authorized them to do it.

The thing is at Autozone, I verified those lug nuts were compatible with my vehicle, apparently whatever documentation I saw was incorrect. I am glad no one was hurt and the problem detected before wheels were ruined.

18. Jul 12, 2018 at 10:18 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Yah I understand. I'm sure tons of people have made that mistake. It happens. This is an example of a situation where "hours of research" (your words) would be beneficial to you. I never trust aftermarket manufacturer's specs especially when the products are designed to fit a large number of models. Those lugs will absolutely work with OEM Toyota 4R wheels... as long as they are steel, which no 5th gen comes with. And this is a situation where you want to keep the OEM lug nuts in use because they are designed to also work with the spare wheel... which is steel... but if the lug nuts they sold you are Toyota OEM then you should be okay.

19. Jul 12, 2018 at 12:38 PM
    RPS1030

RPS1030 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    I spent over $100 via Camelback Toyota (good pricing on 24)to run factory wheels on a prior 4Runner.

They are compatible with the vehicle, aka the Thread pitch matches the lug studs

But as mentioned. The angle and style of the seat has to match between wheels and lug nuts.

Products Discussed in

To Top