1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Door key turns but nothing happens

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by chassis, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Jun 9, 2019 at 6:48 PM
    chassis

chassis [OP] New Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 2005 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD
    As the title states. Both OEM keys bought new in 2005 with the vehicle do nothing when the key cylinder in the driver’s door turns.

The keys functions normally in the ignition and the rear liftgate glass up and down.

The wireless fobs both work with all functions. I googled and searched this site. Has anyone seen this? Thanks.

2005 V6 4WD SR5

2. Jun 9, 2019 at 6:54 PM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner SR5 Premium - Midnight Black Metallic(218) - 4WD
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
    Probably need to pop the door panel off and see what disconnected. Hopefully it's just a pull cable with a tab on the end that slides back into place. Does the door lock or unlock at all from the buttons inside?

chassis[OP] likes this.
  3. Jun 9, 2019 at 7:07 PM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    Westin Pro Traxx 5 Hood and side window deflectors Black exhaust tip Tinted front windows Billet grill overlay Badge Overlays painted Cavalry Blue Powder coated stock Trail Wheels gloss black 12 Volt Solutions plug and play remote start To do list: led swap Speaker upgrades Sound deadening doors Maybe list: rear backup sensors
    If not the cable then it's this

chassis[OP] likes this.
  4. Jun 9, 2019 at 7:07 PM
    chassis

chassis [OP] New Member

Member:
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Sold: 2005 4Runner SR5 V6 4WD
    Thanks aroyalsfan. Yes the door lock buttons function normally on both front doors. Seems like something mechanical is not right inside the door as you suggest. Is the door trim removal straightforward or are a bunch of plastic clips broke and need replacing in the process?

5. Jun 9, 2019 at 7:13 PM
    aroyalsfan

aroyalsfan The Owner

Member:
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    I have no idea. I am sure you kind watch the video I sent or find plenty of others. I just am going off my basic knowledge of the inner workings of doors.

6. Jun 10, 2019 at 9:15 AM
    DGP1961

DGP1961 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    Anything I screw with (very limited) I usually break a tab or two. :annoyed:

jester243 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top