1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does Sprint Booster affect MPG? You decide...

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by glwood54, May 5, 2021.

1. May 5, 2021 at 12:15 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 [OP] Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    I'm a bit OCD when it comes to details about what I drive, and have kept track of fuel mileage since my truck was new in 2019. It doesn't really matter to me, but I just can't seem to not keep track of it...anyway, I installed a Sprint Booster at the end of December 2020, and was wondering how it would affect mileage, if at all. I ran it on Green 6 for two full tanks after installation, then turned it off for two full tanks, then back on for a road trip last weekend. Here's what it all looks like (if anyone besides me cares) after 20 tanks of gas used, with and without (mostly) the Sprint Booster:

upload_2021-5-5_13-25-35.jpg

All hand calculated - ODO miles driven divided by gallons used to fill up. I don't pay any attention to the MPG display on the dash, I actually have that turned off. FWIW it looks to me like a major contributing factor is winter-blend gas, and not the Sprint Booster. YMMV :argue:

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    7385 likes this.
  2. May 5, 2021 at 6:49 PM
    Ahdofu

Ahdofu New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    1997 4Runner SR5, V6, Auto, 4WD
    I guess I don't know how a gadget like Sprint Booster works but if it is MPG you're after, there are things that we've all been taught and they're good up to point. They are common sense stuff like not over-revving the vehicle, normal acceleration, properly inflated tires, Not carrying dead weight around and of course a properly maintained engine.

3. May 5, 2021 at 9:28 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 [OP] Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    I didn't buy the Sprint Booster to help with MPG. I just wanted to know if it made any difference.

The question gets asked more often than you'd expect.

4. May 5, 2021 at 10:18 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    I kept hand calculated mpg numbers for about 5 years, every single fill up, on my 2012 Tacoma. Winter blend gas, in addition to colder winter temps, was a huge mpg sink. It showed up clear as can be on a graph.

7385 likes this.
  5. May 6, 2021 at 4:17 AM
    importman

importman The mountains are calling and I must go...

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Carolinas
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver SR5 V6 4X4
    Blacked out, Ironman 3" Nitro Gas Suspension lift, JBA High Caster upper control arms, Differential drop and sway bar relocate, Upgraded to Sport Front Cardone Calipers with Brembo Rotors and Akebono Pads, Added Spoiler, Sony XAV-AX100 with Apple Carplay, USB Jack, Backup Camera, Black TRD Pro Wheels with General Grabber ATX 265/70/17, Rear differential vent extension, Auto Dimming Mirror with Compass and Homelink, Map Light Mod, Tekonsha 90160 Trailer Brake Controller, Recoil SL1708 Sub, Sealight LED Headlamps, K&N drop in air filter, Weathertech floor mats, Homemade rear storage compartment with built in pull out table.
    I never realized that. I typically get better mpg in the winter. That's because in SC you use the A/C pretty much daily from April to September.

4runningMan[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. May 6, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    Ahdofu

Ahdofu New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    1997 4Runner SR5, V6, Auto, 4WD
    I see. Well as you've demonstrated this, eventually all these gadgets are proven to be ineffective in improving power or gas millage.

7. May 6, 2021 at 11:58 AM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    That "winter gas", is a known item. Toyotas don't like it. If you can, hunt around for fuel that doesn't have any garbage in it. Ethanol, whatever.

Also, as has been mentioned, maintain the engine. New plugs, wires, etc etc. I read somewhere, too, that you should replace the O2 and AF sensors, if you have one, about every 60 to 100,000 miles, whether it's throwing code or not. They get clogged up and give incorrect readings to the ECU as time goes by. It can affect your mileage.

Have fun!
    Pat☺

8. May 7, 2021 at 7:50 AM
    GrayGhost

GrayGhost New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp - sold
    As long as I don’t floor it my mileage is consistently 1-2mpg better with sprint booster. I find the shift points are quicker to respond when diving very conservative. I drive slow so this works for me.
    I like the fact no more worries if I do need to floor it and merge into traffic. It just goes
    My setting is red 5

9. Jun 4, 2021 at 9:10 PM
    GrayGhost

GrayGhost New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp - sold
    Shameless pitch. Sold the 4runner and selling off parts. Sprint booster be in market place soon as I get all the other stuff ready

Products Discussed in

To Top