1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Does anybody actually LIKE their dealer?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by IVRunner, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Dec 2, 2022 at 11:00 AM
    IVRunner

IVRunner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 ORP Lunar Rock
    I'm shopping. I have looked at a ton of dealer web sites and communicated with a few dealers. So far I'm not at all impressed (but not surprised, either) with the lack of common courtesy and the unwillingness to answer a few simple questions without trying to divert the conversation into the usual BS questions.

Does anyone here LIKE their dealer? I'd just like to find one that will:

1. Answer a few questions about available options
    2. Not give me the run-around
    3. Not treat me like a leper

Is that so hard?

Recommendations appreciated. I'm in the Southeast US but willing to travel as far as the Rockies (and maybe beyond) to work with a decent dealer.

AZ40CAL likes this.
  2. Dec 2, 2022 at 11:07 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    I liked mine when I bought my 4R, but haven't been back, except for an alignment done after my Eibach installation in 2020. I have my maintenance done at a local mechanic shop.

4runGirl88 likes this.
  3. Dec 2, 2022 at 12:25 PM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    You willing to travel to Maine?

4. Dec 2, 2022 at 12:25 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    IMO dealership people only have general knowledge of the vehicle like a vehicle has push button start, moonroof, etc. Should never expect detailed knowledge since they don't expect customers deep dive. After Covid with vehicle shortage there is absolutely no effort need to sell a vehicle like a 4Runner I would expect things might have to worse. So there will be sales people who have no idea and be like I don't know if you want I will put your name on the waiting list.

So that is just the shopping part of it. Expect service to be even worse. Most of the time I list the services I want and sometime keep a sticky note on the steering. After the service I check if the oil change is done and I have enough oil, is the skid plate installed properly, etc..

So imo for shopping you need to spend time in forums or facebook groups of the vehicle you like. Also may be go with a buddy has a passion and experience with a particular vehicle.

5. Dec 2, 2022 at 12:27 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    OP, on your questions.

1. They can if they know. And you can virtually 'build your 4R' on their site, so you know what you want.
    2. Again, know what you want.
    3. They are idiots if they do. Because the end game for them is your money in their pockets.

Back in 2016 when we bought ours, we shopped online for a dealer that had what we wanted. We were willing to travel at least a hundred miles to do that.
    But found one that was only 68 miles from us. I, personally like sales women and checked out their sales staff for a Lady that I wanted to work with.
    She was great but, the finance guy in 'the rape room' was a male chauvinist pig. While we went back & forth with him, we kept to our wants and my wife kept telling him NO to that price while I just kicked back in the chair. And we eventually got what we wanted.

Just stick to your guns and be aware that there are concessions on both sides that do become agreeable.

Good luck with your hunt.

On a side note. Back in 1993, before we bought a computer, we went dealer shopping because I knew what I wanted in the truck we were shopping for.
    We finally got to a dealer, a sales Lady, that knew what I was talking about.
    She knew about OHC I4, the 3.0 V6, the axle ratios and a few other things
    that I had questions about. And because of her, that was the dealer we chose.

And the finance guy, my wife dealt with him too.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
    4runGirl88 and glwood54 like this.
  6. Dec 2, 2022 at 12:48 PM
    DadOperator

DadOperator New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 Trail Special Edition
    I like mine but we’ll see how they are if there are any warranty issues moving forward.

But when I put down my deposit on January 8th of this year we agreed on a trade in price and we signed a document agreeing on that. I asked if the market changes if they would try to renegotiate at delivery and they assured me no. Well, on August 1st when I went to do the deal after the thing finally came they actually kept their word even though the used market prices had already began dropping.

We did the deal at MSRP, no add-ons or anything. Simple deal.

In fact, I couldn’t come in for like 5-6 days after it came in and there was still no pressure to get in there or anything.

Dealer is Bredemann Toyota in Park Ridge, Illinois (Chicago suburb).

Spare Parts likes this.
  7. Dec 2, 2022 at 12:54 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    Best description of the finance office I've heard yet.

8. Dec 2, 2022 at 1:11 PM
    alittleoff

alittleoff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    '16 TP
    Yeah my Wife hates that part of it but loves poking the pig at the same time.

Ironguy likes this.
  9. Dec 2, 2022 at 1:14 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    I have had 0 issues with my dealer.

Sales guy I know so we will throw that out the window. Finance guy when I had to deal with them once was fine with me saying no to everything up front.

I've only had to go in twice for warranty for different vehicles but never was an issue. Never gave me any crap when my power steering started making noise after the lift and bigger tires.

10. Dec 2, 2022 at 1:37 PM
    JW South Georgia

JW South Georgia New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JW
    Vehicle:
    '23 4Runner Premium with XP package
    1. Garmin Min-2 Dash Cam, Ceramic Tint
    I used Rountree-Moore Toyota in Lake City Florida (I live in Georgia). I called ahead and talked to the sales person. I said simply I am paying cash, I have a 2014 FJ Cruiser in very clean condition for trade and can send photos. The deal I want is MSRP, no dealer add ons, no extended warranty, no dealer value stuff.
    After they saw the photos of the FJ Cruiser and ran my VIN, sight unseen they made an offer for the FJ.
    I drove down and we did the paperwork and I left a deposit....then the pressure was on them to find a '22 White 4R Premium with XP package. Every 2 days the salesperson would call and I said, the pressure is on you, you delay and the mileage goes up on the FJ Cruiser.

There were other '22s available but with additional features that I did not want and not willing to pay for, or it was the wrong color.
    Then I get the call "we've found you a '23 just like you want but it costs $400 more". I asked, what do I get for that $400? I was told that it was the model year price difference. I said "you folks are holding my money, you've agreed to find me a '22 and have so far failed to meet your side of the bargain. So, what are you going to do for the $400?".

I got a call back in a few hours. Boss said he'd tint your windows and give you an additional oil change coupon for after the 2 free ones you get from Toyota. I asked will it be cheap tint or ceramic tint? I was told it was my choice. I told them to have their tint guy onsite when I come to pick it up and I'll explain what I want. So the deal went through.

While finishing up my paperwork, they were writing a deal with another customer on my FJ Cruiser - they didnt even wash it for them!

Other than their 3rd party company that does their tag/title work, it all went smooth. It took them 59 days to get my registration to me (supposed to be 30) and the title took another 10 days.

I am happy with my deal and happy with my vehicle. My only mods so far other than the dealer ceramic tint is a Garmin Mini2 Dash Cam and a Husky Cargo Liner.

I would not hesitate recommending my dealer.

Spare Parts likes this.
  11. Dec 2, 2022 at 2:02 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    I only buy from Southeast Car Agency in Gainesville, Fl. they're not for everyone of course...it's a 'no haggle" dealer, and they deal only in late model 1-2 years old tops low mileage used vehicles. You have to wait til something you want shows up but they have been willing to hunt a little for me on occasion. I love avoiding all the back and forth negotiating and they treat me like a dang rock star when I go in there. (knowing I already have a draft from my credit union ready to sign probably helps). but it's still nice. the test drive consist of them handing me keys and telling me to please be back in an hour.

JW South Georgia likes this.
  12. Dec 2, 2022 at 2:10 PM
    brownersd

brownersd You are the weakest link, buh-bye!

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Humble, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM 4Runner TRD Off-Road Premium
    I actually like my dealership, Fred Haas Toyota in Spring, Texas. They are VERY mod friendly, the Service Writers are cool as shit. Even the Service Director, Mark, is an amazing guy with excellent customer service. We bought my partner's Tacoma at another, Mike Calvert Toyota, which I absolutely hate. I take the Tacoma for all service at Fred Haas as well.

Cheers,

Sean

13. Dec 2, 2022 at 4:01 PM
    Overland WT

Overland WT Grumpy Old Guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    Many with many more to go
    Min has been great. My wife and I bought our cars a wee apart 11 months ago. She bought a new CHR Nightshade, I bought my ORP. Give us 10% off all parts and never have to wait for any service. Front of the line.

14. Dec 2, 2022 at 4:39 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I wouldn’t let them change my oil. Or rotate tires.

15. Dec 2, 2022 at 6:57 PM
    Accelerator

Accelerator New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Satellite Beach, Fla
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 Super White 4Runner #3
    Try Toyota of Melbourne here in Fla. I bought my ‘22 SR5 on Dec. 4 of ‘21 (it’ll be a year old in 2 days) when pricing was crazy. Got it for MSRP and came with a Lifetime warranty on drivetrain. Very happy with the dealership.

16. Dec 2, 2022 at 9:03 PM
    romad86

romad86 New Member

Member:
    I’d say to skip the dealers altogether and use an auto broker. I’ll never use a dealer again. I used an auto broker for my Tundra purchase and it was a great experience. Got a massive discount too. The guy I used buys between 30-40 Toyotas from a dealer in Denver monthly, so that’s why he’s able to get such a big discount. He charges $400, I think, for his services. He brought the truck to his house, had all the paperwork ready to go, no BS about selling extra maintenance plans and whatnot, did all the dmv stuff, sent me my plates when they came in, etc.

17. Dec 2, 2022 at 9:04 PM
    Connor MacLeod

Connor MacLeod New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Connor
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Off Road
    I'm picking up my first ever 4Runner (2023 TRD Off Road) tomorrow at Dan Deery Toyota in Cedar Falls, Iowa. I drove 314 miles from home to get here.

My dealer is Cody Zey, and he has been absolutely fantastic. Very transparent about everything, responds quickly to my emails and texts, and no BS or attitude.

Prior to my purchase, I did a nationwide search for in-stock 4Runners as I did not want to wait, and I encountered many A-hole dealers along the way. Thought I had a deal done in the Albany, NY area a couple of weeks ago and even bought a one-way plane ticket to pick it up, but then the dealership flaked out, telling me they had coincidentally sold my vehicle to a local customer at the same time they were on the phone with me agreeing to my proposed terms of only $500 over MSRP instead of the $5,000 over they were trying to make me pay. So I cancelled my plane ticket only to have them call me back the next day saying the other buyer had backed out of their purchase so I could buy it after all. Not sure what was happening there, but it smelled like BS to me.

But no BS with Cody in Iowa, and no markup either.

18. Dec 3, 2022 at 5:52 AM
    LuLu

LuLu New Member

Member:
    Utopia
    Vehicle:
    2022 TRD Sport
    OEM Crossbars OEM Hood Deflectors OEM Running Boards Tints
    The dealership unfortunately have to manufacture defects on the checklist - to make up decent claims against Toyota.
    They don't really make money from oil changes and tire rotation.

Twice I got reimbursed at Toyota for tune-ups and transmission flush not completed by the technicians.
    The service manager just smiled. Like he knew already the tricks.

Just have to be vigilant.

Same with roadside service shops - unless you forge a decent working personal relationship with the shop owner.

Reality of life.

Nothing personal against Technicians. Just sharing past experiences.

kmeeg likes this.
  19. Dec 3, 2022 at 9:12 AM
    Burnt Taco

Burnt Taco "Like that's just your opinion, man".

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    '22 ORP, Wife's 2020 SR5
    Two dealerships here in Tucson. Both are horrible. Desert Toyota is a notorious gouger for parts and significant markups on new vehicles. Precision Toyota simply stinks and gouges as well. I have had minor service work done by Desert as I have a long term relationship with the service department. Bought my '22 at Auto Nation in Tempe due to BS with local dealerships. I'd buy again at Auto Nation in Tempe.
    If I had to have anything major done I'd go to Trail Boss 4X4 here in Tucson. They did my lift kit install along with UCA and needle bearing switch to the bushing. Great job and great price.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  20. Dec 3, 2022 at 9:36 AM
    4runGirl88

4runGirl88 Get a little mud on the tires!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Black SR5 Premium (AKA Black Betty)
    I can't stand dealers, but it is a necessary relationship when aiming to purchase a car. Having said that, I have learned to go into it with an attitude of assertiveness. In the end, it is my money and they only get it if I get what I want out of it. When I bought my 18 4runner, the salesman thought he was clever and tried the old "If you walk out today you are basically dead to me" tactic. I looked him square in the eye and told him, "I'll walk if I feel like it, and when you push on a wall you'll only get resistance." He didn't try any clever tactics with me after that. He also had very little knowledge of the vehicle. It had a lift already installed and he had no clue what type or how much etc. Therefore, it was an all day event as I wasn't purchasing any unknowns.

All in all, I ended up with a sweet deal and a great 4runner. But yeah, it is not a fun endeavor to buy a vehicle, at least in my experience. I envy folks who have dealers they trust and are genuinely happy to work with them.

McSpazatron and Burnt Taco like this.
  21. Dec 3, 2022 at 10:39 AM
    AZ40CAL

AZ40CAL New Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP 4x4
    Suprise Toyota. Its also a Penske dealorship so they honor Penske vehicles all over the valley/ USA. I have never been happier spending $ on a vehicle.
    Ask for Justin :)

They are in Suprise, Arizona.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
  22. Dec 3, 2022 at 10:52 AM
    jharkin

jharkin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Boston suburbs
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Pro
    Like?
    I judge dealers on a scale of who is least bad. The one I just bought one had a Pro on the way that wasn’t reserved (or buyer had cancelled) just days from delivery so I jumped on it. Sales guy was not pushy at all but of course they still wanted a markup (I talked them down to 2k) and lowballed my trade a bit.

Sounds crappy eh but every other dealer wishing 50 miles wanted a 5-10k markup even on ORPs and was talking 6 month waitlist so in context it was least bad. Everyone's threshold is different but for me my time is more valuable than haggling down the last $500

Products Discussed in

To Top