1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

DIY roof rack mounts

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by Snickel Fritz, Jun 26, 2020.

1. Jun 26, 2020 at 3:42 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Snickel Fritz [OP] Grew Up Around Lead Paint

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    FN Konig Six Shooters+Cooper AT3 4S 255/75/17 Kenwood DNX996XR RAV4 heated blind spot mirrors OEM Blackout Edition LED fogs Buncha sheepskin stuff Not installed... yet: Thinkware U1000 DC (benched) Renogy DCC50S (benched) SOS Concepts Aluminum Full Bumper and Steel Sliders (ordered)
    Hi, all.
    I want to build my own roof rack. I do not have much in the way of tools or space, and my local fabricators are often sloppy and always overpriced... so I'm going with 80/20 or similar extrusions for the whole shebang.

My only real hurdle (and the most important one) is how to mount my contraption onto the roof. I'm going with full length, and will use rubber feet at the front.
    There is one company I have found that sells racks and stand-alone "towers" for DIYers, but I'm not sure that I like them, they look bulky, awkward, have weird angles and do not look sturdy despite the description.

So, anyone else want to show some close ups, details, or tips on their homemade racks? How about aftermarket? I've asked two companies (Victory 4x4 and Greenlane) who make racks, neither wants to sell their mounts separately unfortunately but I'd rather give my money to someone who is either in the 4R community or at least sells roof racks for it.
    Any ideas?

2. Jun 26, 2020 at 6:25 PM
    4runningMan

4runningMan New Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Check out LFD Off-road. They’re a vendor here, I think.

Snickel Fritz [OP] likes this.
  3. Jun 26, 2020 at 6:32 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Snickel Fritz [OP] Grew Up Around Lead Paint

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    FN Konig Six Shooters+Cooper AT3 4S 255/75/17 Kenwood DNX996XR RAV4 heated blind spot mirrors OEM Blackout Edition LED fogs Buncha sheepskin stuff Not installed... yet: Thinkware U1000 DC (benched) Renogy DCC50S (benched) SOS Concepts Aluminum Full Bumper and Steel Sliders (ordered)
    I'll check and update, thanks!

4. Jun 27, 2020 at 5:16 AM
    Deuxdiesel

Deuxdiesel New Member

Member:
    I am dealing with a better way to mount my Rhino Rack Backbone right now. Instead of using bolts, I bought metric threaded studs from McMaster-Carr. I am planning on using a flange nut to set the depth and then use a lock nut to hold the feet down. You could buy a chunk of UHMW plastic and fab up some spacer blocks that fit over the studs and some simple angle metal to make feet for your rack. UMHW is pretty easy to work with and can be cut and drilled with normal hand tools.

5. Jun 27, 2020 at 9:44 AM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Try Front Runner. They sell everything as a system anyway, and they’re very responsive. Tell them you damaged the mounting brackets on your Front Runner rack and need replacements. I’d be surprised if they said they wouldn’t sell you any. Good luck. Your project sounds like fun. It’s totally doable. The only caveat about buying the brackets, is that all the rack components from every manufacturer are very expensive. Even a set of crossbars costs too much, imho.
    I’d be tempted to make a template and make the whole thing. Although, I didn’t do that myself, haha. I bought a Front Runner, because it was exactly what I wanted and I need to choose my projects so that I don’t have a garage full of challenges on my hands.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  6. Jun 30, 2020 at 12:52 PM
    J.Miranda

J.Miranda New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2019 Nautical Blue TRD Off-road
    I spent a lot of time trying to find the best way to mount mine. I ended up with a big L bracket with holes that matched the spacing for the OEM rack and slots on the other side to adjust up and down. Mine ended up looking like the EcoTechne mounts.
    You should also check out how Prinsu mounts to the body. You could do something similar with 90 steel angle from Home Depot attached to the aluminum extrusion. You could bolt through the angle into the OEM mounting points with spacers in between.
    My recommendation would be to get the mounts sorted out before you order the extrusion. The distance between the two front and two rear mounts are not the same.
    Also, TNutz will cut custom lengths and have pretty fast processing times.

7. Jun 30, 2020 at 2:56 PM
    ERMBPA3

ERMBPA3 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    I used these mounts, which I moved to my 4Runner from my 100 series Land Cruiser when I sold it. I also have a DIY roofrack and it has served me very well since I first built it almost 4 years ago. I only had to make slight modifications to the rack itself when I put it onto the TR4. The mounts themselves fit great even though not originally meant for the 4runner. I think on one of them I had to open up one of the holes slightly, but only took about 30 seconds and a larger drill bit. I had 3 sets total but the front set is only attached using double sided tape, the same way Prinsu mounts theirs.

https://www.trail-tailor.com/store/p23/Adjustable_Lo-Pro_Rail_Mounts_100_Series.html

IMG_20200330_143411.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  8. Jun 30, 2020 at 3:37 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    Nice job, ERMBPA3.! It’s always nice to see DIY instead of consumerism.

Snickel Fritz [OP] and ERMBPA3 like this.
  9. Jun 30, 2020 at 3:47 PM
    ERMBPA3

ERMBPA3 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Thanks! I'm a big fan of if I can figure out how to do it, I'll at least give it the old college try!

Products Discussed in

To Top