1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did anyone buy a brand new 4runner out of state

Discussion in 'California' started by Pavo, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Sep 26, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    Pavo

Pavo [OP] New Member

Member:
    hi guys, looking for a new 4runner but no one is really budging here in socal, everyone is suggesting outside of ca, are there any hidden fees ill have to pay once I bring it back to ca making the great deal not so great?

icyhotahs likes this.
  2. Sep 26, 2020 at 1:56 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    You pay any fees associated with the vehicle where you register the car, so whatever fees apply to you, regardless of where you buy it that’s where you pay it is my understanding.

3. Sep 26, 2020 at 1:56 PM
    mustangr2

mustangr2 New Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner sr5
    Xenon led low and high beams Switchback turn signals SSO sliders with kick out Blackout emblems Falken atw wildpeaks
    I only thing I can think of is you might have to pay sales tax for CA but I could be wrong.

4. Sep 26, 2020 at 2:20 PM
    icyhotahs

icyhotahs NEw mEmBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP Super White
    Method 703 - Nitto G2 - C4 Ladder - UpTop Rack - EIbach 2.0 Coilovers & Load Levling Kit (250) Victory Strike Sliders - Dometic 55 - EcoFlow Delta
    Hey,

Just bought in Idaho. Got it way cheaper. I paid sales tax in to my loan (so I didn't have to pay it at DMV out of pocket). There was an out of state fee (it was like $100) and everything else transferred in perfectly. Reach out if you have questions.

5. Sep 26, 2020 at 2:28 PM
    Pavo

Pavo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Nice! How much and which dealer? You can PM me if you want

6. Sep 26, 2020 at 2:38 PM
    icyhotahs

icyhotahs NEw mEmBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP Super White
    Method 703 - Nitto G2 - C4 Ladder - UpTop Rack - EIbach 2.0 Coilovers & Load Levling Kit (250) Victory Strike Sliders - Dometic 55 - EcoFlow Delta
    Peterson Toyota, 41899 for ORP with KDSS, moonroof, wilderness package

travelinscout, siblue and Pavo[OP] like this.
  7. Sep 26, 2020 at 2:42 PM
    Pavo

Pavo [OP] New Member

Member:
    That's a steal

8. Sep 26, 2020 at 3:46 PM
    icyhotahs

icyhotahs NEw mEmBER

Member:
    First Name:
    Samuel
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP Super White
    Why do you think I went to Boise of all places

9. Oct 2, 2020 at 4:49 PM
    Rodolfo_07

Rodolfo_07 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rodolfo
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Pro Cement
    Gobi rack & ladder, Baja Design fog lights, Grill light bar.
    When you buy out of state you pay the local tax which can be added to your loan like @icyhotahs did and then you're supposed to pay the difference in tax here in CA since ours is higher that just about any other state. So if you pay 6.5% tax in OH for example, you technically still owe CA the remaining 3-3.5% depending on your county; however, there's a nice loophole that even some DMV clerks will show you. When registering the vehicle at your local CA DMV, the application (section 5) asks for three key dates:
    1) Date vehicle entered CA - make sure this date does not exceed 20 days otherwise there will be an additional fees
    2) Date vehicle first operated in California - can be the same as the date above
    3) Date vehicle was purchased/acquired. THIS IS THE IMPORTANT ONE! Here you need to put a date that is 365 days or older to avoid paying the difference in CA Tax so if you go to the DMV tomorrow 10/3/2020 for example , just put 10/2/2019 (366 days) and you will save ~$1,500 depending on the purchase price. DMV clerks have no way to find out when the vehicle was actually purchased, they go strictly by the date you put on the application.

Hope this helps and sorry for the lengthy response!

Toy4X4 likes this.
  10. Oct 2, 2020 at 5:21 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    I want to add this for military folks as there are some interesting laws. Every locality is different, but if you are stationed outside your home state make sure you look into your state (the state you want plates) and the current state you're located in.

I say this because of WA/VA laws I ended up paying 0% sales tax on $45,818. Had I purchased in WA I would of paid sales tax, had I been a VA resident I would of paid sales tax, but because of my unique situation I paid none, legally.

I say this just to remind everyone to do your homework purchasing out of state, as a few minutes could save you a lot of money. Also, don't trust your dealer on these issues, my dealer's mind was blown when I presented all this.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  11. Oct 3, 2020 at 10:13 AM
    MeefZah

MeefZah ---

Member:
    Lexington, Ohio
    Ca resident, bought in Oregon, no extra fees to Ca, need smog to register. I've authored super long responses about this in other posts but no one gives a shit and people who've never done it argue about what's required, so you can search those posts if you want for a more detailed explanation.

icyhotahs and Pavo[OP] like this.
  12. Oct 3, 2020 at 10:30 AM
    4runningyeti

4runningyeti New Member

Member:
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 BRM TRD ORP
    At the time I bought was living in Philly, PA, bought over border in South/Central Jersey. Just had to tell them tax rate for philly (8%) They put that in purchase price. When they submitted registration paperwork and everything was squared up, I got a little check back for extra taxes that were just slightly miscalculated. No extra fees whatsoever. Reg and Plates showed up in mail within 2-3 weeks. Of course that is NJ/PA where they are used to dealing with people crossing over- same with PA/DE or NY/NJ/CT where everything is close together. You should not have any extra fees other than paying home taxes where vehicle is registered and any other fees that would be applicable to buying a car in home state (inspection, smog if CA i guess etc).

Products Discussed in

To Top