1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Defferent Size Spare

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by a47chuck, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Sep 21, 2019 at 3:31 PM
    a47chuck

a47chuck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '19 Limited Nightshade, Midnight Black Metallic, front leveling kit, 265/60-20 KO2's and Magnuson Supercharger.
    OK, I know ... search. LOL! But I want your opinions, which I respect. My dealer installed 265/60-20's on my Limited (from new) and of course they didn't change the spare. They are about .9" taller and should turn around 640 revs per mile as opposed to about 657 revs for the stock size. How far is it safe to travel, baring locking the center dif, before the axle difs take a shit? That said, they installed them and didn't mention anything 'bout the spare. Should be their dime?

Should I bite the bullet and match the spare to the other tires. It should fit in the tub. I eventually intend to go to 17's in the stock size, but that is way down the road (right after I hit the lottery) and I would keep the original spare to match the 17's in diameter. Then I would have a brand new 20". LOL!

2. Sep 21, 2019 at 4:00 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    If limited are AWD which I have heard. Never test drove one, so I don't know.
    You MUST drive with all 4 tires that are the same size!
    We bought an Infiniti G35xs (awd) back in '11. One new tire & 3 bald ones. My brother in law is a tire tech. He instantly said. "You are replacing all of them correct?"
    I have had AWD vehicles since high school so I lived by that.
    The difference in diameter can throw off wheel speed sensors...
    I am not a tech or Toyota expert so I am sure someone will correct me or agree.
    Just my experience.
    If a bald tire & a new tire can throw it off. Imagine different sizes all together!
    Same reason you never use the spare on the front axle of a FWD car. Unless it is the same diameter!
    Hate to say. If you ordered 4 tires it is on you; not them. However, you don't need an exact copy for the spare. Just the same size...!
    Hope it helps.
    Phew.

Thatbassguy, a47chuck[OP] and KSJ08 like this.
  3. Sep 21, 2019 at 6:26 PM
    a47chuck

a47chuck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '19 Limited Nightshade, Midnight Black Metallic, front leveling kit, 265/60-20 KO2's and Magnuson Supercharger.
    Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't order the tires, they were in the 'Runner on the showroom floor. Their dime. The most I would possibly have to drive is a little over 100 miles ... I'm hopin'. LOL! I know it doesn't matter which end it's on 'long as I don't lock the center dif. Guess I'll just have to bite the bullet. BTW, I have always matched tires per axle. Ain't stupid, just wanted to know how far I could go in an emergency.

4. Sep 21, 2019 at 6:36 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Even in an emergency. I wouldn't drive it.
    100 miles is a lot of wear.
    Just get a cheap tire in the same size as yours to use as the spare. Brand or tread doesn't matter in an emergency.
    Just make sure if it is used it is barely used. For example: the dealership wouldn't trade out our tires. So I took it in (to my brother in law) @ 170 miles & got $80 each for the crappy Dunlaps that came on our truck.
    Cheers!:cheers:

a47chuck[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Sep 22, 2019 at 8:24 AM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    OP, have you contacted the dealer to ask if they'll provide a matching size spare?

a47chuck[OP] likes this.
  6. Sep 22, 2019 at 3:06 PM
    a47chuck

a47chuck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Shoulda done that in the beginning but I was doin' battle with them to get the Magnuson tuner. That was a three month battle.

7. Sep 22, 2019 at 3:09 PM
    a47chuck

a47chuck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central Oregon
    Vehicle:
    AH! Never thought of that. My Mustang didn't have a spare but did have a canned inflator.

Products Discussed in

To Top