1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deer Strike - Pray nothing like this would happen to any of you. (Not Mine & Not Toyota)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by kmeeg, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Oct 27, 2021 at 5:25 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg [OP] LionRunner

Member:
    Deer Strike - I pray nothing like this would happen to any of you. (Not Mine & Not Toyota)
    (Images may consider graphic or disturbing)

https://youtu.be/GA73TprdTgQ

2. Oct 27, 2021 at 5:37 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    Dang. That is crazy

3. Oct 27, 2021 at 5:44 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg [OP] LionRunner

Member:
    Right?? I'm soo glad that the driver is ok.

Talking about 4Runners I guess its a good thing to have a relatively smaller windshield.

Roland likes this.
  4. Oct 27, 2021 at 6:57 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I was in Upstate New York this past weekend, had two deer run out in front of me on separate occasions. If I lived out there, I think I would definitely invest in an ARB front bumper or similar.

A&P, Roland and kmeeg[OP] like this.
  5. Oct 27, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg [OP] LionRunner

Member:
    No doubt the front would be protected by them but this was different.

I was thinking about it after my TRD ORP crash. (Finally it ended in a different way me having to start over from zero.)

1. I was thinking about added weight to front especially having alot of weight in front and how it would impact my trail runs. Would it impact the balance of the vehicle.

2. On an accident with human would the steel bumper work against me by law. Sue me for personal injury caused by unsafe bumper for public roads?

6. Oct 27, 2021 at 7:23 PM
    trlhiker

trlhiker Lazy Bum

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1992 4Runner SR5 V6 4X4
    As you can see from the damage, a steel bumper wouldn't have helped at all as the deer never got near the bumper.

7. Oct 27, 2021 at 7:25 PM
    LandCruiser

LandCruiser I have Toyotas

Member:
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    5th Gen OG TE
    We have mule deer in our neighborhood. They’ll mess your ride up.

A&P and Roland like this.
  8. Oct 27, 2021 at 7:34 PM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    That would not help at all, the deer will clear the hood and slide into the windshield.
    Skinny, tall legs with a higher mass on top. Bears are a different story. Moose is a death sentence.
    Along my country roads, there is another animal that is almost always lethal, horses.

Roland likes this.
  9. Oct 27, 2021 at 7:38 PM
    Roland

Roland New Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 Toyota 4runner TRD off-road premium
    It will protect a lot, I hit a deer on the freeway around 65 Mph with my H2, drove just over it; no damage. I have to admit the deer was not a giant, nevertheless, the impact was significant, the bumper protection saved the day. When I checked the vehicle, nothing bend or damaged.

10. Oct 27, 2021 at 9:02 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Well, every situation is different. I wasn't referring to this video, I didn't even watch it. I was just thinking in general terms, and my particular instances were at lower speeds.

Roland likes this.
  11. Nov 13, 2021 at 12:06 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    Speaking of horses, I ran into one. While on my motorcycle, a 1975 Kawasaki Police Special. Think of the old TV series CHiPS.
    The horse was one of two that ran across the road in front of me, from the left side of the road, while I was at 60 MPH. It was just before dawn, the monday before Thanksgiving, 1992. I saw the bay run out of the side of the road, so I went left to go behind him. Then, the black horse behind him turned the white blaze on his face towards me. That's all I remember until a couple guys found me walking in circles, picking up pieces of the bike. They walked me off the side of the road, where I passed out.
    We figured out later that he reared up just before I hit him, rode up the forks and fairing, and scraped me off the back. Me and the bike bounced down the highway for a ways. I know that, because my helmet has a bright yellow stripe down the side, where my head bounced down the centerline. Knocked loose the left retina. It's wadded up like a ball of paper in the bottom of the eyeball, still.
    If the horse hadn't reared, I'd probably be dead. As it is, I lost use of my left eye, broke my feet, just kinda cracked the bones, and got hit hard in the heart with the bike's gauge set. Everything healed up, except my eye. It's gone.

So yeah, wild, free-roaming, horses are a deadly dangerous hazard. Beware of them!
    Pat☺
    BTW: The horse died at the scene, so I won that round. I felt NO pity for him. He thrashed out his life in the ditch for 15 minutes.

12. Nov 13, 2021 at 4:20 PM
    BourbonNcigars

BourbonNcigars New Member

Member:
    Deer terrify me. I'm in the Southeast and see them all the time. Many roads here are quite rural which doesn't help. So many stories of friends/acquaintances hitting them and you begin to wonder when it's your turn or someone you care about. I'm an animal lover but I also believe people>deer.

Products Discussed in

To Top