1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CV axle damage - bad wheel bearing

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by 5thGenBlizzard, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Apr 30, 2019 at 12:42 PM
    5thGenBlizzard

5thGenBlizzard [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi there,
    I’m new here. Owned my 5th gen 4Runner since it was new. Been maintained mostly at my local dealer, who used to be great. Unfortunately after recent rennovations/staffing changes, I’ve run into alot of issues with them. Most recently.... at about 175,000 I replaced both front wheel bearings (a few months apart). The front driver’s side wound up being a nightmare. I had rear brakes and the wheel bearing done at same time. Left dealership with back caliper sticking, and weird pulsating in brake pedal when the wheel was turned. Went back a couple times and then gave up, went to a friend’s garage instead. He put on two new rear calipers, which finally solved that issue (after he let the wheel cool off... thing was practically smoking). So... still had the odd pulsating once in a while with the brakes, but after the 4-5 visits I already had to the garage I just gave up and figured I’d run it. Kinda thought I just had an air bubble in the line or something. Now, fast forward four months and I was getting lots of play in the wheel, and almost a wobbly feeling from time to time (i actually got so dizzy at one point from the wobbling, I actually felt sick for a second). I knew something was wrong so I finally went back to my friend’s shop. One look at it and he found the wheel bearing Toyota installed four months prior was shot. There was so much play in that front wheel when he wiggled it, he told me not to drive it any more. I limped it slowly all the way home and straight to Toyota the next morning, where they said they’d cover the replacement under warranty. Wound up needing a new CV axle too, from the damage of driving with the bad bearing (they ate the cost on everything, even through in an oil change for free). In hindsight, I now know the pulsating brakes I was feeling for four months was because my front driver’s side tire was wobbling all around and pushing the pads apart. I’m lucky the wheel didnt come right off. So... I picked it up yesterday, new bearing, new axle, driving home and the thing is shaking when i apply the brakes, and shimmying over 50mph. Brought it back to my buddy’s shop and he says the rotors are warped, tires are chopped, and on top of all that, I looked up the part number for the new axle and they gave me an aftermarket cheapo axle instead of an OEM one. What I got is a GSP, part #NCV69170. I called up Toyota again, didn’t even mention the brakes or the shimmy or the tires (which were not cheap BTW) and told them I want a Toyota axle. They begrudgingly said they’d get me one no charge and will install tomorrow. So... after all this... my question is... am I being too picky about this axle? I’m at almost 200,000 miles, so I obviously don’t expect it to be perfect, but I plan on driving this thing for a long time yet and really don’t want some junk that’s gonna break. This is my daily driver. I don’t fo off road, but do live on a dirt road, and don’t drive it too easy. I’ve maintained it well from day one. Never missed an oil change, did all the recommended services, new shocks, new brakes when I need ‘em, etc, etc. What do you guys think? I know the dealership is trying to make good on their mistake, but...... ?? Am i being greedy here? Is a GSP axle okay or am I right to insist on OEM parts... ? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
    P.S. I know I should’ve picked up on that bad bearing earlier than i did, but it was off my radar thinking it had already been fixed...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. Apr 30, 2019 at 1:58 PM
    wmdtech

wmdtech Send MOD Money!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Mid TN
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD ORP
    275/70r17 KO2 Eibach Stage 1 JBA UCAs
    You paid for things to be done right the first time so I think your fine. Unless you went in there guns blazing demanding stuff that wouldn’t have been included in the beginning.

TN_FunRunner likes this.
  3. Apr 30, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    5thGenBlizzard

5thGenBlizzard [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the reply. No guns a blazin... i do appreciate that they’re trying to make things right

WallyT4R likes this.
  4. May 2, 2019 at 1:36 PM
    Riding Dirty

Riding Dirty Sinner; saved by grace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 T4R Pro 040
    Is plasti-dip a mod?!
    Sounds like you’re in the right. You aren’t trying to get anything other than what you’re owed, you’re not demanding a new car or 3k worth of accessories.

Products Discussed in

To Top