1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Custom extended Smittybilt defender rack

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by mem4runner, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Jun 1, 2020 at 10:36 AM
    mem4runner

mem4runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    1997 Base 4cyl. 5spd, 2019 TRD OR
    In my indecision regarding roof racks, I had an idea...

I doubt I'll ever use a RTT, so I wanted a budget-friendly rack that also wasn't "cheap."

I finally landed on the Smittybilt defender, as I preferred a basket-style rack. BUT I really wanted a more full-size length rack... I'd seen a few posts from people that bought bolt-together racks and wondered if I could pull the same thing off with a bolt-together Smittybilt rack...

I reached out to Smittybilt to see if they'd just sell me an extra middle piece, but no luck. So, I started looking for them on eBay and TOTALLY lucked out - found two complete bolt-together racks for less than half the best price I'd found anywhere else. Snagged those and sure enough, it all worked out perfectly like I'd hoped. I was able to extend the rack by just over 1.5' and only had to add two swivel legs to support the front brackets as they extended past the factory rails, see below.

Here's the stock rack length:

IMG_20200519_160448.jpg

Rack with extension added:

IMG_20200519_160551.jpg

Swivel legs:

IMG_20200521_152947_01.jpg

Final product, installed:

IMG_20200531_122929_884.jpg

SO, this isn't really a cheap job UNLESS you just happen to find two racks for cheap. I'm loving it though.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    DuskMagners likes this.
  2. Jul 18, 2021 at 8:07 AM
    DuskMagners

DuskMagners New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 sr5 5 speed
    Yo! Sick thread! I’m thinking about picking up one of these defenders (found one for ~$100 OBO) have you had good results with it? I wouldn’t be doing the extension like you. As far as I know it just needs the ds26 kit to fit on our runners? Any help appreciated! Thanks!

mem4runner[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 19, 2021 at 8:26 AM
    mem4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    I've been really happy with mine, and I'd say go for it especially at that price - that's a steal. You're right on the DS2-6 mounting brackets too, it's a really straightforward install. I've never had any noise issues or anything like that from it either.

I actually recently removed the extension from mine because I've never needed the footprint of the full length rack and the swivel feet I put on the front were getting way too squeaky and driving me crazy. I really like the original 3/4 rack, looks great. If you ever happen to want to try the extension out I'd be glad to sell you the extra middle piece I removed from mine.

4. Jul 20, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    DuskMagners

DuskMagners New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 sr5 5 speed
    Awesome. Thanks for the reply. The guy who’s selling it hasn’t gotten back to me but I’m hoping he will for such a steal. I’ll let you know if I’m interested in the extension but right now you said it I’m looking for that 3/4 look. I’ll post an update once/if I get it up there. Thanks!

mem4runner[OP] likes this.
  5. Jul 20, 2021 at 6:27 AM
    mem4runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    Cool, good luck!

Products Discussed in