1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Cupholder Retention Mod

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by jdevtac, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Jan 1, 2019 at 11:58 AM
    jdevtac

jdevtac [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 V8 4WD
    I’ve had my 04 V8 4WD 4th gen since around September of this year. In the meantime, I’ve figured out how much I hate the 4th gen cupholder setup. The cupholder pocket is quite large but the retention arm piece doesn’t do squat for keeping soda can type drinks or similar sized drinks in place without tipping if you take a turn.

So I bought some 1/16” rubber sheet material off Amazon for around $8, cut 4 tabs out of one of the sheets and secured them to the cupholder tub with self tapping screws. The tabs are essentially sandwiched between the cupholder tub and the overlying center console piece. There was naturally about 1/16” gap between these 2 pieces to begin with so everything snapped back together perfectly.

Rubber sheets:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MQ0VBJ0?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Anyway, here are pics of the finished result:
    5BDF4F99-13FB-48D2-89CD-40D8B66723A8.jpg

6509D507-8B3F-4A1B-96DC-C64466C2C8E5.jpg

6DD0554B-A39B-4911-BBC1-E4E1550147CB.jpg

Nalgenes fit even better than stock and soda cans don’t tip and spill all over the place when you make a turn (which I can only imagine must explain the sticky mess under the panels in that area from spills by the prior owner)

AMSK.505, blackoutt and RonT4R like this.
  2. Jan 1, 2019 at 3:04 PM
    MattAK

MattAK Headin' for the hills

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra SR5 dbl cab white
    Might have to try this. The cupholders definitely need some help. There was a guy on T4R that was 3D printing an insert for them but he stopped for some reason.

3. Jan 1, 2019 at 4:10 PM
    jdevtac

jdevtac [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 V8 4WD
    I wanted to buy one off him but he sort of left for a bit it seems, made a few recent posts but that’s about it. Some folks had some critique on fitment and strength but it looked decent.

I initially measured up the cupholder to have my own top plate printed to use, but it didn’t come out how I wanted and I don’t have money to throw at upcharged 3D printing services to fine tune.

But for ~$8 this was super easy and works great.

Products Discussed in

To Top