1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coolant Flush V8

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by nomad_4runner, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Mar 30, 2022 at 8:49 PM
    nomad_4runner

nomad_4runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 V8 4x4 4Runner LTD
    Hey all! So im looking into doing a coolant flush on a V8 I just purchased. I recently, and hopefully, fixed a leak coming from the lower radiator hose. When I completely detached the hose, a bunch of fluid came out that was light brown. I bought the car with a little over 200K on it. Now im not sure what the previous owner did in terms of coolant maintenance nor what coolant they used. Based on what came out I want to do a complete flush. My question is, do I still need to drain coolant from the block even though I drained it from the lower hose? Also im using Asian Zerex Pink 50/50 for coolant. Should I just go ahead and get the SLLC stuff?

2. Mar 31, 2022 at 6:18 AM
    4-Funner

4-Funner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Limited 4.7L V8
    Been using Zerex Asian in mine for the last 100k, as long as I've owned it. It's just recently rolled over 200k in all.

nomad_4runner[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 31, 2022 at 6:27 AM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 V8 4Runner Limited - Silver
    Moved on to the 'how-to' after those pictures ay? haha.

So our V8s have 13qts vice the V6s 10. You happening to pull that lower hose means you got nearly all of the radiator capacity out, but you still have the block to deal with. there is a drain port on the driver side if you want, a bit behind the oil filter area, its kind of hard to get to and recessed. Personally I actually didnt fuss with it since I was also pulling the thermostat housing and water pump. But yes if you want to do a full flush you should get the rest of it out. Ive seen plenty of people report fine use of Zerex pink, and someone even found some green stuff.

Along with the one above, YT has tons of excellent videos for sure, but also some good info And in case you dont have it i attached the FSM page for it :cheers:

Attached Files:

4. Mar 31, 2022 at 7:51 AM
    4-Funner

4-Funner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Limited 4.7L V8
    BTW, Here's the Toyota Factory Service Manual for the 2UZ-FE V8

Toyota 2UZ-FE V8 coolant.jpg

5. Mar 31, 2022 at 1:05 PM
    nomad_4runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 V8 4x4 4Runner LTD
    this and the video are great! Thank you!

6. Mar 31, 2022 at 1:08 PM
    nomad_4runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 V8 4x4 4Runner LTD
    oh good call on the quart difference, thanks a bunch for all your help! Side note, so I went out to check on the reservoir tank and it’s back to being low. I should add that the tank was full before I disconnected the hose and drained some fluid. I wonder if this could be a factor? I ran the car for a couple minutes and the temp gauge stayed in the middle. The reservoir tank did not fill back up as the radiator got warm.

7. Mar 31, 2022 at 1:29 PM
    4-Funner

4-Funner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Limited 4.7L V8
    Depending on how bad that leak was you might have dropped your coolant level quite a bit and maybe air in the system. I'd fill the reservoir and radiator (when cool) and keeping a no-spill coolant funnel about 1/3 full while it idles with the heater on high while I check for leaks. Having the higher fluid level of a no-spill funnel creates pressure to help burp the system of any trapped air.

Also check the oil to make sure it's not chocolate milky looking and that you don't have water dripping / white smoke coming from the tailpipe indicating internal leaks (head gasket, cracked head, cracked cylinder, etc).

8. Apr 1, 2022 at 6:54 AM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    +1 on the above here @nomad_4runner you likely have air in the system after draining it some.

9. Apr 1, 2022 at 9:11 AM
    nomad_4runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 V8 4x4 4Runner LTD
    Yup, ya’ll were right! Went ahead and burped it properly and refilled the tank. Now it’s holding the coolant at the appropriate levels!! Thank you all very much! Now im going to flush out whatever the previous owner used. Might even go for the power steering flush too while im at it! Never worked on cars before so im excited my first “job” went well.

10. Apr 1, 2022 at 9:46 AM
    iamincrediboy

iamincrediboy New Member

Member:
    South FL
    Vehicle:
    Good to hear! ATF fluid and PS fluid are the same if memory serves (sort of). Pretty sure manual says Dexron II or III ATF, or and equivalent fluid thats more modern. Also see https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/2004-4runner-power-steering-fluid-flush-video.1052346/

11. Apr 2, 2022 at 4:44 PM
    nomad_4runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 V8 4x4 4Runner LTD
    Well I ended up performing a drain and fill on my radiator. Though when I went to start I noticed my lower hose was still leaking. So I decided to replace it with a Gates product. I could not for the life of me, loosen up the drain plugs from the block. Ended up “flushing” the radiator twice with distilled water and then once with 50/50 coolant. Hopefully that’ll be ok! Will have to do the PS flush another time when i can jack my car up. Don’t want to ruin my tires turning them while they’re in contact with the concrete. Learned quite a bit about my new car though! Again thank you all for your help!!

Products Discussed in

To Top