1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

cold start issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen 4Runners (1990-1995)' started by dgmartinalvarez444, Dec 31, 2021.

1. Dec 31, 2021 at 1:11 PM
    dgmartinalvarez444

dgmartinalvarez444 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gabe
    Vehicle:
    1995 4runner 3.0 3vze
    bone stock 4'' lift
    just bought this 95 3.o 4r in the september with a 3vze. slower than all hell. bad mileage. but it looks dashing and im gonna see it through by any means necessary. im in bakersfield so its 90-105+ in september. couple weeks before halloween it started getting a little cld outside. and the car would crank awfully long before it would fire. once it would fire it was good to go all day, but every morning it would do this more and more. i was a bit concerned but i shrugged it off since i had not known the vehicle very well yet (still dont). one day before halloween it just would not start. just crank all day until i let the battery die. i have been going at this thing for 4 months now just trial and error. at first i thought it was spark, theres spark ouch. then i was led to timing but my old man swears the timing is fine. starters good, batterys good, and then i stumbled upon the idea hat i have/had an aftermarket alarm system ended up taking that out incase of a kill switch. didnt help. i can get it started sometimes when i play with gas pedal enough while cranking but its flooded everytime and i gotta burn/ dissapate all the extra gas in there before it runs perfectly fine all day. it idles high now as well. it will run maybe 2-3 days before it does it again. then i have to let it sit. i know nothing about injectors. i changed the fpr it worked for a couple days. last couple days i have been laerning all i can about the cold start injector and as much as i can about the temp sensors and switches. it only gets about 40 over here on the coldest morning. ONE OF THE MAIN THINGS I FORGOT TO MENTION IS THAT IT WILL NOT THROW ME ANY CODES OR THIS WOULD BE WAY EASIER. i sent it to my local toyota for a diagnostic smfh they vandalized my car and broke my hood lever now my valve covers leak a little bit and my battery was dead when they returned it. never again. so now i trust no one but myself and at the speed i am learning things about this engine i see a bright future between the two of us if i could just get to the bottom of this. saw yoututbe videos about the ecm, got one from junk yard for 20$ still no codes. im lead to beleive its not the ecm because my guages all work fine and once i get it started it runs fine just gotta run out the diesel smelling white smoke. got a 25$ cold start injector on the way gonna try that and check out the gasket and the csi switch if i can. any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated been going through alot of forums which have helped me i am not the most savy with engines but i only get better and this could be the right one to get to know. its only got 213k on it and would love to keep it. thanks abunch

2. Dec 31, 2021 at 1:16 PM
    dgmartinalvarez444

Member:
    First Name:
    gabe
    Vehicle:
    1995 4runner 3.0 3vze
    bone stock 4'' lift
    from what i have learned of the csi is that if its leaking even when the cars off. into my intake runners it will flood especially when its too cold to evaporate.
    thats what im thinking is going on. its easy to get to thankfully im out of tows lmao so i have to ge this thing reliable ish before it starts getting real expensive.

3. Jan 2, 2022 at 5:35 PM
    ZARTT

ZARTT New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Art
    Vehicle:
    1995 4Runner, Black,Tan Interior, 5spd.,(convert from A340) 207,000 mi., on its 3rd 3VZE.
    Ford Taurus 2 spd. elec. cooling fan, GM CS-144 alternator upgrade. Intimidator AGM battery.
    Hi:

If your problem turns out to be the CSI flooding the engine with excess gasoline, be sure to check, and maybe change the oil.
    The possibility exists, that since this has been happening for an extended time, the oil could be diluted with gas.
    I know this response doesn't address your original problem, but it can be food for thought.
    Even the slightest amount of gasoline wrecks the oils ability to create a film that keeps expensive parts from destroying each other.
    It sounds like you are on the right track though.
    Good Luck.
    Art.

4. Jan 2, 2022 at 6:56 PM
    dgmartinalvarez444

Member:
    First Name:
    gabe
    Vehicle:
    1995 4runner 3.0 3vze
    bone stock 4'' lift
    Awesome, that is for sure worth checking out while i wait for parts thank you

5. Aug 11, 2022 at 10:46 AM
    Firedfryingpan

Firedfryingpan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marsh
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4runner
    Did you ever get this issue figured out? I'm having a similar problem with my 90 4runner. Had the same issue of endlessly turning over with no start. Swapped fuel pump, circuit opening relay, disconnected factory alarm, etc. Finally bypassed the relay to manually turn on the fuel pump and she started up (after spluttering for a bit), so I'm left thinking cold start injector as well. Been trying to figure out how to get this thing running again for the last 3 months, and your post is the first one I've found remotely similar to my problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top