1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clutch Chatter in a 2014 4Runner

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by PeanutsMom, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Aug 13, 2019 at 2:58 PM
    PeanutsMom

PeanutsMom [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vicky
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    So I had my 4Runner to the dealer and they did the tranny flush. After that, I started experiencing the feeling of driving over rumble strips when it would go from 28 to 35 mph.
    Went back to the dealer and they test drove it and it didn't do it. At the same time, I had an airbag replaced on a recall and they said that they had to unplug the computer which might have lost the memory of my driving and it just needed to get used to my driving again.
    But weeks later, I still had the rumble strip affect when I hit 28 to 35 mph.
    Took it to a friend that owns a tranny business and he took it out for a 25 minute test drive and was able to repeat the problem and told me I have clutch chatter and that it definitely was not the torque converter.
    Back to the dealer and I had them go with me on a test drive after the 30 minutes drive it took to get to the dealer and then they felt the chatter. They said based on Toyotas data base, it is the torque converter and naturally I'm past the warranty and am looking at $2,500 to have it replaced.
    Anyone else have a similar experience?

2. Aug 13, 2019 at 3:19 PM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    2014 4Runners don’t have a clutch. I’ve never felt what you are explaining on my 14.

3. Aug 13, 2019 at 9:29 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Something doesn't sound right since you had no issues prior to the dealer touching the vehicle.

Products Discussed in

To Top