1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Clunk sound with new Dobinsons lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by GATRDORFRITH, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Apr 12, 2021 at 8:13 PM
    GATRDORFRITH

GATRDORFRITH [OP] New Member

Member:
    All time high frustration. I have a clunk sound that “seems” to come from the passengers front side when going over bumps. On flat surfaces it drives and handles great! I have double checked that everything is tight. Ive read on this sight that their strut top hat was not tightened down. I ordered the front struts assembled, I noticed that the top hat nut was not fully tight so i tighten them down (while on the vehicle), although the clunk was a little quieter however I still hear and feel it going over bumps. Is it possible that the left side is not tightened all the way down? How would I know, I’ve cranked it down as much as i could but it seems its not as tight as the driver side. I have attached a view of each side to see if there is anything glaring. ANY help was be VERY MUCH appreciated!

35552A01-8BAD-4232-B171-33270CA7D211.jpg
    EE5BF787-EE41-4F5F-9492-00E73F9C92B6.jpg

2. Apr 12, 2021 at 9:39 PM
    ruiz4251

ruiz4251 "but it was funny huh?"

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    Throw it all away!
    JK
    bad shock maybe? Depending on the "clunk" it could be LBJ (probably not), sway bar link (maybe), LCA bushing (possibly), lug nuts (maybe)
    Bad shots make a noticeable "clunk" sound check for a leak that usually a good indicator

3. Apr 12, 2021 at 9:51 PM
    DrewMan

DrewMan 2016 4RTP-KDSS

Member:
    Middle Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2016 Magnetic Grey 4Runner Trail Premium
    Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Daystar 1.5" Rear Coil Spacer (Mid Left), Level 8 Tracker Pros 17x9, 275/70/R17 B.F. Goodrich TKO's, N-Fab Nerf Steps
    Not a professional here but something does not look correct on the provided second pick; at the top of coil and how it’s seated … could the front coil be touching metal… looks like that rubber spacer is off center

Just a thought.

4. Apr 12, 2021 at 10:26 PM
    ruiz4251

ruiz4251 "but it was funny huh?"

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    16 Trail Premium
    ICON custom stage 6 3"; 33's; gobi rack; SSO bumper; SSO high clearance; Rigid lights; 10k X2o winch; AFe intake; brola cat back; tint; aftermarket sound; opor sliders; pedal commander, viper smart start mobile tracker, Canvasback Liner; Rago rear window molles; victory 4x4 center console molle; cbi front skid steel; cbi aluminum tran skid; rci fuel aluminum skid; rci dif skid; rago rear shock skids; rci lower link skids; tenton workshop shift knob; yoga shop grenade trans knob;alpha rex headlights; USR blacked out tails; USR turns to turns; blacked out sequential mirror turn
    @DrewMan
    Yo homie nice truck you got there lol!
    Good poit on the coil...should make a difference but stranger things have happened so there's that

5. Apr 13, 2021 at 8:33 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    Who assembled? Who installed?

People do it all wrong all the time. Lots of possibilities.. as the coils need to be oriented a certain way, certain bushings used in a certain way, etc. etc. Have you checked the UCA?

I think Dobby springs aren't flat ground like others are (eh.. that's kinda lame) .. which is why the top looks like that.. but that probably isn't really an issue as lots of guys run Dobbies without issue.

If anything, I'd say your top nuts look over-tightened.. No offense, but you can't just start cranking away and expect good results.. this isn't night-time in your college dorm room. ;) Everything up there has a factory specified torque spec.. I suggest using the Toyota FSM or perhaps cross-reference the Toyota published TRD Pro Suspension Installation Guide to help in your endeavor.

Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top