1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can't get muh wheels off

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Bodie the Dog, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Nov 16, 2019 at 6:33 PM
    Bodie the Dog

Bodie the Dog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4runner TEP, 1994 SR5
    Toytec 3/2 lift, Shrockworks sliders, Shrockworks rear bumper, ARB diff mod, 8 pod RGB LED's, RCI steel front skids, Big Sky katana rack, Reese roof rack
    I'm trying to refresh my front end (replaced idler and pittman arms), but can't get my wheels off so I can't do the ball joints.

I had it at a tire shop last month, and a simple tire rotation turned into a 5 hour appointment because they couldn't get them off either. I called today and asked, and they said they loosened the lug nuts to about a 1/8" gap, then drove slowly (1-2mph) forward over a dip in their parking lot, until the tire "popped" loose. They also recommended brute force from the inside with a rubber mallet, but I don't see much room to swing. Maybe use a piece of wood to make the hammer fit and not ding my rim.

Any other ideas? 1994 SR5 Thanks in advance for your help!owens valley truck.jpg

2. Nov 16, 2019 at 6:36 PM
    scottalot

scottalot Stockalot

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Charleston SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 T4R offroad
    To be determined
    Crazy they’re already stuck again after having them off so recently. I’d try force and maybe loosen the lugs and try something along the lines of what they did- maybe just do it in the driveway without moving and let the jack down fast

Bodie the Dog[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 16, 2019 at 9:21 PM
    ForRun

ForRun 4Runner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 orp
    Ouch! Something seams off. I wonder if the strips the threads putting them on?
    On an old truck I had similar and used a gorilla lug wrench and with help holding it flush on the nut, used a 6ft iron pipe. It will either come off or break off.
    Never tried this on wheels but at work on HVAC motors we heat up bearings to get them off a shaft. I would not use flame but may try a heat gun on the lugs. Heat expands metal and cold will shrink it

Bodie the Dog[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 16, 2019 at 11:26 PM
    Bodie the Dog

Bodie the Dog [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4runner TEP, 1994 SR5
    Toytec 3/2 lift, Shrockworks sliders, Shrockworks rear bumper, ARB diff mod, 8 pod RGB LED's, RCI steel front skids, Big Sky katana rack, Reese roof rack
    We tried a torch, too. Maybe I can get a bottle jack in there sideways. We did get the lugs off. A buddy of mine just used a 6' breaker to get the wheels off his Kubota, ha. I think he cursed me.

5. Nov 17, 2019 at 12:14 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    A piece of wood and a sledgehammer has worked well for me in the past.

Sometimes it helps to rotate the tire while banging on it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top