1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying new tires, what about the spare?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by canadian.bacon, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Sep 11, 2020 at 2:35 PM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon [OP] H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    So I am about to pull the trigger on Falkens stock size - 265/70/17.
    Do you guys buy 5 of them so the spare gets it too, or leave the spare as it is, on the Duellers?
    If I need to install the spare, wouldnt the diff work overtime to compensate for the difference?
    I know it is the same size on paper, but the real world size is a bit different.

2. Sep 11, 2020 at 3:23 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Oldtoyotaguy Paid cash for it

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota 4 Runner Offroad
    That’s a great question canadian.bacon. The answer to that depends on how much off roading you do. Of course, in a perfect world all 5 tires should be the same no matter what. However, it’s a spare, and if you’re on pavement and close to service as long as it rolls, it’s fine, imho. The problem comes off road. If you’ve driven into a remote area using 4 wheel drive and have a flat, and put on a car spare that tire is going to give you problems getting out. Especially if it’s on an open differential - in that case it will spin on every opportunity and could strand you. I travel occasionally into Canada’s far north and some of the roads up there you need a second spare. Believe me, if you don’t put on an e range good tire the same as the one you took off you’ll regret it. There are lots of places where it’s ok to save money, but something you’ll depend on in the middle of nowhere isn’t one of them. But for a flat tire at the mall, where you need to drive to discount tire a block away, don’t sweat it.

Thatbassguy, Bob and 4Runner fun like this.
  3. Sep 11, 2020 at 4:10 PM
    canadian.bacon

canadian.bacon [OP] H9 halogen is the best led bulb

Member:
    Snowland
    Vehicle:
    ‘22 Tesla Model Y
    While i get your point, still doesnt make me go one way or the other. Do I want to save money? Yes. Will it happen at the worst time ever? For sure, given my luck, on a rainy day, on a trail, right after dark.
    I might get one, they go for under $200 and it is peace of mind anywhere I go, I guess...

Thatbassguy likes this.
  4. Sep 11, 2020 at 4:22 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, it’s your call. There’s nothing illegal about cutting corners on a spare. Will you pay a price for that? Maybe, maybe not. I learned about this the hard way as a young guy, driving an old pick up that was’nt mine. It was a long walk, on a dark night to the highway. So, it’s a no brainer for me. If the spare is new, you should be able to resell it. It’s a common size.

5. Sep 11, 2020 at 5:12 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    I don't roll with the correct size spare if it make you feel better and I have 285's.

I'm sure I'll pay for it one day but its not on my priority list right now.

Oldtoyotaguy likes this.
  6. Sep 11, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    Oldtoyotaguy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    There’s definitely no absolutely right answer to this question. It’s a choice.

7. Sep 11, 2020 at 6:43 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I wouldn't worry about it. It's not a big enough difference in size to be an issue.

The only reason for you to get one would be if you wanted to do a 5 tire rotation.

canadian.bacon[OP] likes this.
  8. Sep 11, 2020 at 8:13 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    As @Oldtoyotaguy mentioned, a matching spare will be ideal if you get a flat on a trail.

I kept the OEM spare until I changed size. In hindsight, I'm really glad I never got a flat in the middle of a trail run.

As far as the size difference, it's probably not an issue unless you run the spare long term. Honestly, I don't see it being an issue either way, unless it was a significant size difference.

mrmike7189 and Oldtoyotaguy like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top