1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying advice

Discussion in '4th Gen 4Runners (2003-2009)' started by nomad_4runner, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Feb 16, 2022 at 6:19 PM
    nomad_4runner

nomad_4runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 V8 4x4 4Runner LTD
    Hello all,

I found a 2009 V8 Limited for 17K but it has 200K miles on it. Now im new to 4runners and especially cars with that many miles on it. I’ve done as much researching as I can and see that I should check for rust. I looked at the carfax and it had 1 owner with no accidents. Service history doesn’t mention too much. There’s a lot of “recommended maintenance” performed. I’ll get to call tomorrow and hopefully find out some more but is there anything specific I should look out for? Is this even a good deal? I work from home but intend to use it for moving out of state every 3-6mo.

Thank you in advance!

2. Feb 16, 2022 at 6:35 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I want to say that's a lot, but 4runner prices are crazy. That's the last year of the V8, and the V8's are desirable. I 100% endorse getting one with V8. Definitely check for rust, especially if you are in one of those states where they use road salt.

As long as maintenance has been performed and everything in the interior works, such as the AC and all the electronics, I wouldn't be too too concerned about the mileage. The 4.7 V8 has gone a million miles in a few Tundras, and is pretty stout as long as the timing belt is changed. Toyota recommends every 90K for the timing belt, and from what I understand, that's about a $1,000 service. So if it's been done recently, that's a very good thing.

Toy4X4 and nomad_4runner[OP] like this.
  3. Feb 16, 2022 at 6:56 PM
    nomad_4runner

nomad_4runner [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 V8 4x4 4Runner LTD
    I agree the price is a bit high but I too see that the V8 is quite sought after. I checked the maintenance records again and unfortunately see no timing belt having been replaced. Maybe the dealer might know some more information on that. I definitely will check on rust since yes the state uses salt quite frequently.

Products Discussed in

To Top