1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buying a 3rd gen toyota 4 runner. What can i expect to go wrong?

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by stanleyo1, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Dec 10, 2018 at 6:33 AM
    stanleyo1

stanleyo1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey there,

So I'm a complete newbie when it comes to cars. I've decided to buy a 3rd gen 4 runner over many other options because I hear of their reliability. I'm still not 100% sure what this reliability entails? Assuming I find a 4 runner in decent shape with about 170K miles on it, will I be having to do a lot of routine maintenance to keep it going or does the "toyota reliabiity" mean I probably only have to worry about changing the oil, timing belt (when needed), tire rotations etc.?

Thanks you guys

2. Dec 10, 2018 at 10:04 AM
    stecow

stecow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    1998 Black 4Runner SR5
    Generally Toyota's are very reliable and keeping up on the basics like fluids and tires and stuff will keep the vehicle running strong. Now obviously when you are looking at used cars try and get service records from previous owners, that's usually a good gauge to see how its been treated. Assuming you found a pretty clean 4runner with about 170k miles, keeping up on the regular service things may pretty much be all you need to do. Look out for lower ball joints though. 1st gen tacomas and 3rd gen 4runners have a history with their lower ball joints failing and it being pretty catastrophic. If one of those 2 vehicles had been babied by one owner and the LBJ's were still the original and looked good...I'd still replace them just in case, that's my opinion. Also something can go wrong with the radiators in the automatic 4runners. I've got a manual transmission so I don't know about this too well but from what I've seen in the forums something happens and transmission fluid can leak somewhere and mix with the coolant. You get the "pink milkshake" looking stuff in the radiator...you'll have to look into that a little more. Also look for rust as always with older runners
    Anyway hope this helps and best of luck looking for a 4Runner! :thumbsup:

3. Dec 10, 2018 at 5:54 PM
    DGP1961

DGP1961 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Premium
    If you find something with that many miles and it doesn't have rock solid records of maintenance I'd change every fluid in the vehicle. You'd also be beyond a timing belt in my opinion.

4. Dec 11, 2018 at 12:55 PM
    Large

Large New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Ball joints
    Frame rust
    Timing belt

Those are the major things.

5. Feb 14, 2019 at 6:53 PM
    Vonhetzer