1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bull bar

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Allaboutfamily, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Aug 30, 2019 at 2:11 PM
    Allaboutfamily

Allaboutfamily [OP] Regular Hound Dog

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner trd off road premium
    F482B0CA-7C66-495E-B1C2-C83020E7ED35.jpg B9E342F6-B6AA-45A7-93C6-CC92C826A5CF.jpg Well... the wifey is wanting a heavy duty front bumper however, her dad surprised her with a bull bar and light for her birthday. She would never consider hurting his feelings so, I installed it for her. But I went ahead and welded on D-ring tabs and mounted some D-rings on it for her because that is what she wanted. I obviously had to grind off the factory finish to weld but the Rustoleum bed liner was an exact match to the factory paint. We’ll leave it on for a while before it’s replaced with probably a c4 bumper. If she doesn’t smoke a deer sooner than later.

kbp810 and WallyT4R like this.
  2. Aug 31, 2019 at 6:26 AM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    Looks good, have never seen that bull bar before. An since she isn't going to go off roading this is a much cheaper alternative to the C4. Would look better if the valances were blacked out, but you already know that.

3. Aug 31, 2019 at 6:40 AM
    kbp810

kbp810 rebmem wen

Member:
    That's certainly one of the better looking bull bar's I've seen (though not a fan of bull bars in general). I'm sure it's moot, and goes without saying, since it was mentioned that she won't be offroading... but I would be sure to never actually use those D-Rings as a recovery point. At the very least, it's going to damage the bull bar; in a worst case scenario, either the bumper, or d-ring itself, is going to rip off and become a dangerous projectile.

4. Aug 31, 2019 at 6:56 AM
    Allaboutfamily

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys. Yeah as far as bull bars go, this is actually a pretty good looking one. It’s built well too. And I explained very clearly to my wife that the DRings were cosmetic only and to never allow anyone to hook on to them or she’d rip the bar right off. The DRing mounts are welded on solid by yours truly, so the bar will yank off before the ring mounts give haha.

Yeah i need to do the valances for sure. Some of you may remember how I hurt my back when I did my wife’s lift kit. Well, since then it’s turned into an extreme case of sciatica. I’ve been going through the worst pain of my life for weeks now. So I’m just not able to get everything done that I want to. It’s bad enough that I own a contractor business so I still gotta work every day to put food on the table. I can barely walk or even sleep due to the pain. Can’t even hardly drive my truck without going into severe muscle spasms. My poor wife had to learn real quick how to pull a 16’ enclosed trailer all over the place so we can do jobs.

SandyTaco4x4 and WallyT4R like this.
  5. Aug 31, 2019 at 1:46 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    Hope you recover quickly.
    As a chronic pain patient myself.
    No relief from pain effects your whole life. It is all you think about (for me at least). Every decision revolves around it.
    Rest & recover soon!
    :curls:

WallyT4R, SandyTaco4x4 and KSJ08 like this.
  6. Aug 31, 2019 at 3:22 PM
    Allaboutfamily

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:

Thanks guys! I’ve dealt with a bad back for 20 years now but this is the worst I’ve ever been. Unfortunately, I hadn’t seen a doctor in many years so had to go to a doc I’ve never seen before. This doc has not ordered any scans, xrays, nothing at all to determine the problem, just put me on pain meds is all and only two a day which isn’t nearly enough for what I’m going through. I’ve repeatedly requested her to give me a referral to the back Dr who has treated me for the past 20 years but she refuses, and unfortunately my insurance and the back dr will only see me with a referral. I’m stuck! I did go to a chiropractor twice last week and he said I’ve definitely got a disk issue ( I already knew that since I’ve got two herniated disks, 5 bulging disks, and degenerative disk disease) I really need to get an epidural or trigger point injection but only the back doc will do those.

I’m miserable to say the least. I’m also a workaholic and even injured as bad as I am, I’m still working so that’s not helping either. I loaded and then unloaded about 1500 lbs of supplies yesterday evening from my truck. Paid the price physically for it, too. I get about 2-3 hours of sleep a night because the pain keeps me up. I start off every morning with a long walk through my pasture because it lessens the pain to a more tolerable point. Pisses me off that all the damn druggies has made getting pain medication a nightmare for those of us that truly need it.

4Runner fun[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Aug 31, 2019 at 10:05 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    We use MDVIP.
    They are a bit more than a normal family physician. However, they make house calls, have hospital rights & many more benefits.
    I am a victim of a GSW that split my femoral artery.
    He has personally delivered my prescriptions to my house if he was too busy (donating his time @ the VA!)
    Absolutely amazing.
    I trying hope for a good recovery!

Allaboutfamily[OP] likes this.
  8. Aug 31, 2019 at 10:56 PM
    toy33

toy33 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    T. Batey
    CA: OC LA SD BB
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum Tundra 4x4
    Driver Grab handle, Billy 4600 up front, OME 0-2 Sport Shocks in back, CoachBuilder +1 Shackles, AJT accents and fob case, Rear axle breather mod, Meso custom leds, Pass side oem matte clips, Fencing over air ducts, New TRD Pro grill, Black TRD pro led haedlights, Angels baseball steering wheel cover, 'T' Toyota Trucks billet hitch cover. Pro high grade tint all windows, PPF on front hood, grill and lights, led oem black fogs, shorty antenna.
    Sending well wishes for Ryan and Brett … health is everything ! … and the walking is excellent for recovery, probably one of the most underestimated exercises. (that and looking at 4Runners :))

9. Sep 1, 2019 at 6:22 PM
    Allaboutfamily

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:

Very sorry to hear that! Yours sounds very serious. I wish you all the best.

And thank you,too, T. Batey!

10. Sep 1, 2019 at 6:28 PM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    I will prob do this to my new 4R. I like the twenty’s and the offset/width is perfect. It matches the lift nicely....

11. Sep 1, 2019 at 6:36 PM
    Allaboutfamily

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    The pics really don’t do it justice. I remember the first time I met my wife on the road after the lift and wheels, her ride looked so mean coming at me. I actually thought it was a completely different vehicle.

12. Sep 1, 2019 at 7:14 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Much appreciated,
    However, I was shot in the beginning of '07.
    It is now just chronic pain.
    Like I said; it can consumes you.
    I hope you heal quickly!

13. Sep 1, 2019 at 7:35 PM
    Allaboutfamily

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    Whoa! Mind sharing that story? I agree on the consuming you part. And thanks!

14. Sep 1, 2019 at 8:33 PM
    2016Pro

2016Pro Why all of the Pro hate?

Member:
    Not a bull bar fan but it looks much better than the usual fugly ass chrome ones.

15. Sep 1, 2019 at 9:58 PM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    I will share tomorrow. It is a long story (nothing heroic), we were watching a movie.

Long story short I was defending our house from a burglar who turned out to be a 18 yr old meth head with a gun.
    Fucking coward.

16. Sep 2, 2019 at 2:54 AM
    Allaboutfamily

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    Wow man, that’s insane! I hope The burglar got what he had coming. I’ve always said that if I caught a burglar in my home, I’d do everything possible to make that his last action before he met his maker.

4Runner fun and KSJ08 like this.
  17. Sep 2, 2019 at 9:32 AM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    *Graphic Content*
    It was a late snowy night (around 2am) & my roommate at the time had just got home.
    I got up to say hello to him.
    I looked outside our front door to see 3 kids in hoodies heading into our driveway.
    As I stated I am 6'4 and my roommate was the same but about 350#. Without thinking we went out after them.
    As soon as they heard us they ran.
    I chased them for about an house & a half before being hit with a 9mm inches above my right knee. I went head over heels. Looked down & blood was pumping out with every heartbeat. Took the belt off my robe to make a tourniquet. Got into roommates car & headed to the hospital.
    I live with chronic pain that is mainly nerve driven so I will never heal fully.

The worst part...
    The 18 yr old whiteboy meth head just came into our neighborhood to steal. I never got a clear sight of him & even with a ballistic match... "He could have gave the gun to someone else" (that lived 3 miles from me) Right!
    The ballistics- the gun used in my shooting matched a gun used to kill a teenager who threw this kid out of his party for being an ass. Cops said they have him for murder so they didn't pursue charges on him for me.
    I know I missed a lot. Ask away...
    Pics of leg shortly.

18. Sep 2, 2019 at 9:36 AM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Yeah. 51 staples in right leg.
    25 in left for vein graft!
    At least I am alive and have a leg!20190902_113406.jpg 20190902_113501.jpg

19. Sep 2, 2019 at 10:06 AM
    Allaboutfamily

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    Holy shit dude! Sounds like you’re very lucky to be alive. Hopefully that punk spends the rest of his life in prison. And I feel for ya as it sounds like this is something you’ll suffer with for the rest of your life.
    The meth addiction shit is out of control. My area is one of the worsts in the country. It doesn’t seem like they’re educating kids well enough on the seriousness if it. Our oldest son talks to us about it constantly and how he sees kids he knows getting involved in it. One of which was his best friend who was on a very good path until he got mixed up in that shit.

KSJ08 and 4Runner fun like this.
  20. Sep 2, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    4Runner fun

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the kind words.
    He got a 20 yr sentence.
    He is close to parol.
    I don't know what to think about that...
    The Meth epidemic is a war that absolutely requires education.
    Kids will be kids; just use Budweiser instead of a piece of foil or a needle!
    Very sad indeed.

21. Sep 2, 2019 at 11:36 AM
    Allaboutfamily

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle:
    Unbelievable!!!

Products Discussed in