1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilstein 6112 Droop and UCA

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by koukimonster, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Jan 7, 2021 at 11:02 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster [OP] DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    Hey guys,

I'm leaning toward a Bilstein 6112 setup for the front of my 4Runner, set to 2" lift, and I'm trying to retain the OE UCA's for various reasons. However, now I am learning about how the UCA affects droop. I believe the 6112 offers more travel than the OE struts, which means the strut and suspension can extend further down, right? I'd obviously like to utilize that additional down travel, and don't want the UCA to limit it. Also, since the shock/strut is apparently the preferred limiting droop factor, I'd like for my UCA to never contact the springs at full droop.

I am looking for experiences.. if you have 6112 up front and stock UCA's, what is your UCA-to-Spring clearance under full droop (tire off the ground)? Experiences with aftermarket UCA's could also help!

Thanks!

2. Jan 7, 2021 at 11:18 AM
    HondaKen

HondaKen New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    WI
    Vehicle:
    2021 blue SR5 Premium
    TRD pro wheels, 12volt solutions remote start, dobinsons fronts
    Stock uppers will surely do the job you want, and full droop aren't going to contact the springs because the entended length will limit it on a 6112. But I suggest looking at the shocks travel length, as in entended and compressed. All shocks have those specs on the sites. I'm guessing you may have, but that's really your answer.

Mtbpsych and Toy4X4 like this.
  3. Jan 7, 2021 at 11:54 AM
    koukimonster

koukimonster [OP] DYNO4

Member:
    Appalachia
    Vehicle:
    Midnight Venture
    Bigger A/T LT Tires, Slight Lift, Sliders, Rack, Lights, etc.
    I couldn't find the specs on Bilstein's website. I also don't know the specs for the OE struts to compare to.

Supposedly the 5100's extend further than stock, so I imagine the 6112's also do. Perhaps it's various odd things happening with the people that report issues, but I've recently seen where a few guys are hitting their UCA's on their springs (with 5100's) under full droop.. that's what lead me to starting this thread. Maybe these few instances I'm seeing are just a result of a botched install job?

I suppose that's the case.. and that I shouldn't have any issues with the 6112's on stock UCA's (regarding droop / contact).

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  4. Jan 7, 2021 at 8:37 PM
    OpBalance

OpBalance New Member

Member:
    Look man, if you don’t want to upgrade UCAs then don’t. If you end up running into contact issues with stock UCAs then get new UCAs. You really are overthinking things in these (multiple) threads.

Trail Runnah and Redned like this.
  5. Jul 7, 2022 at 10:35 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    OP, what did you end up doing with the UCA’s.

I’m currently researching my affordable suspension options and the 6112 has caught my interest.

Droop is certainly a consideration but I was thinking that the increased spring diameter would be a factor to. :)

6. Jul 8, 2022 at 12:02 PM
    Shock Surplus

Shock Surplus New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail
    3 Linked Rear, 35s
    If you are going for best bang for the buck the SPC UCAs cant be beat imo. But to piggy back off the comments above you won't run into any problems with the factory UCA contacting the spring if you are running the 6112

7. Jul 8, 2022 at 12:59 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    Excellent, thank you!

Your YouTube videos have really helped educate me.

I understand the 4Runner driver side lean thing but I’m not sure that it was addressed when my Readylift spacer was installed. To be honest, I haven’t noticed any lean with my 4R. So I don’t know if I will need the C-clips at different settings.

If I could get by with 1.5” in front and no lift in back and run my 285’s that would be great.

8. Jul 8, 2022 at 1:39 PM
    Shock Surplus

Shock Surplus New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail
    3 Linked Rear, 35s

We appreciate the love! As for the driver side lean. If you have a non-KDSS 4runner we would still suggest getting the 6112s circlip settings offset. We've set up plenty 6112s with Bilstein's recommended circlip offset and to my knowledge never ran into a problem with it making the truck lean the other way.

Slopemaster[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top