1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Trim to Buy to Start a Build

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Running4Tacos, May 27, 2020.

1. May 27, 2020 at 5:02 PM
    Running4Tacos

Running4Tacos [OP] New Member

Member:
    Little Rock, AR
    I am new here, so this is my first thread post out of hopefully many more to come. I've searched for this topic and couldn't find anything. So if this topic has already been discussed in a previous thread, I apologize.

To keep things short, I just graduated college and I've had my mind set on getting a 4Runner for a while now. A 4Runner would be a very practical vehicle to have for both my job and my hobbies. My friend just recently bought a 2020 TRD Off-Road 4Runner and is beginning an overland build and it got me very interested in starting my own overland build.

Being that I don't yet have a 4Runner, I'm wanting to know what the most optimal trim would be to start an overland build. There are so many to choose from. The SR5 is the most affordable trim, but is lacking in options such as the terrain selection and the locking rear differential. The TRD Off-Road is the middle tier that costs a little bit more, but has more options. And the TRD Pro is the top tier that is the most expensive, but has the most options.

Are these options worth the money if I am going to inevitably replace them in my overland build? e.g. the FOX coil-overs and shocks on the Pro that would be replaced with a whole new suspension system, or the color-match bumpers that would be replaced with off-road bumpers.

Obviously I have tons to learn, and I'm sure I will gain plenty of knowledge once I start to dive into the deep threads of this website. But basically this is what I'm asking: is it worth buying a trim that has more options when my intentions are to do a complete overland build? What trim is the best starting point in order to start an overland build?

2. May 27, 2020 at 5:22 PM
    flyinhoot

flyinhoot When in doubt, Throttle out.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro 4Runner "Trudy"
    Monochrome everything. LED reverse lights.
    nimby and MI-FL off roader like this.
  3. May 27, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Welcome and congrats on your graduation! You can now consider this your graduate studies. Lot's of reading ahead of you so you might want to take a break for a couple days lol. The thread above has all the valid points I am sharing here, to give you a lot of people's perspective. Hopefully you can find a good deal when you get close to your purchase time. There are several schools of thought on this subject. Buy once cry once, or budget minded, and everything in between. I think in a lot of ways Toyota has adopted the Walmart school of thought, give the public a lot of options and keep them in the store longer.
    The first thing is, the Pro is in demand, with dealers charging 3-10k above msrp, depending on the market. A lot of people consider the Pro to be an overpriced appearance pkg with some cool features, but not entirely necessary. The roof rack looks cool but not as functional as a good Prinsu. The Yakima basket on the Venture is better but still not a full size rack.
    The Fox pkg on the Pro is nice and blingy, and I'm not experienced in their performance but you can do a lot with a good bilstein set up and the right spring ratio for the considerable added weight of an overland build. There is also the Fox or King OEM series that a lot of people have put on including myself. This could save you a lot of coin towards your O-land mods, going with even an Off Road Premium could save 5-8k compared to the Pro, and still have some of the options that come with the Pro including the Locking Diff. I think the ATRAC in my limited works good in my LE, combined with an ARB aftermarket rear locker. Bought it used at 57k miles and have been very happy doing most of the work myself building this baby up and at 6'6", the power seats in the LE were a selling point, so there is the interior options to consider for extended trips.
    I guess it comes down to if you want to focus on just the O-land mods and get to traveling, or do you want to focus on the build as a whole and in the process create your own identity with different mods. Are you going to wrench yourself, learn more about your truck, and save some labor costs?
    In the end, a base SR5 is highly capable and you could get a decent shock and spring pkg with A/T tires and that would be a great base for O-land. Adding the locker later down the road. I think the locker might steer me to the Off Road and go from there. But if you don't consider the weight your going to add later on in the process, your suspension will be lacking. So plan on studying up on suspension and tires in the beginning.
    Oh, and don't expect the power and handling of anything short of a small bus. It's not a sedan or a crossover that some recent buyers are trying to compare it to and feeling the remorse. But, when you hit the blinkers and head down that first trail, these things are right at home and a freaking blast!! Good Luck!!

4. May 27, 2020 at 6:27 PM
    flyinhoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    Also If you plan on doing the overland build theres no reason to get a pro unless you want the army green special color. Otherwise the Off Road is similar. Minus a couple extra speakers and such.

5. May 27, 2020 at 6:40 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Welcome!

The answer depends on what you intend to do. Pretty much any trim trim is capable of some fair off-roading with a decent set of tires.

nimby and MI-FL off roader like this.
  6. May 27, 2020 at 6:57 PM
    PVT Pablo

PVT Pablo

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Kitsap County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner TRD Pro
    Treat yourself, get the Pro and look down on the plebes who vilify your willingness to drop Benjamins on a whim.

No on the real, all the trim levels will suit your needs. The electronic do-dads of the TRD or Pro are awesome, but are a small part of the equation. A great set of tires, a little experience and four wheel drive will do you better.

If it were me and I was in your shoes, I'd get the SR5 premium or TRD premium (I need the softex seats, they are super durable and real easy to clean vs cloth) and upgrade the suspension for the money you'd save over the Pro.

7. May 28, 2020 at 12:26 AM
    flyinhoot

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    Also, If you can buy something with as few dealer options as possible the better. No running boards, rack, exhaust tip, trailer ball, etc... that all gets wrapped into the payment and they are cheaper everywhere else but toyota.

8. May 28, 2020 at 2:38 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    Big truth! The salesman is going to try to blind you with blingy stuff that won't do anything for overland, and cost more $$.

Running4Tacos[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top