1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best suspension for on road / pavement princess Limited?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by bumbobee, May 13, 2024.

1. May 13, 2024 at 6:18 PM
    bumbobee

bumbobee [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ziggy
    Hello,

I am a suspension noob and would like if someone broke down to me all the possible components I will need when replacing my suspension. Currently I have a 2022 Limited with X-REAS and while the car is still fairly new (only 30 k km) I know that one day the x-reas will fail. I have 2 questions:

1. What are the best options for on road handling and driving dynamics?

2. What are all the parts associated for replacing the x-reas system? I see shocks, struts, coils, UCA, spacers, etc. Will I need all those things or only some?

Also I forgot to add that I am open to a 1 or 2 inch lift in the future.

Thx

2. May 14, 2024 at 5:56 AM
    Borracho Loco

Borracho Loco My 4Runner identifies as a Prius!

Member:
    Dallas/Ft Worth
    Vehicle:
    2023 40th Anniversary Special Edition
    Oooh look, another mod.....
    The XReas will last until (about) 100k miles. So you have plenty of time to think this through and do research. With your current mileage you've got a good 4 - 5yrs before you need to replace it. A LOT can happen during that time.

So why bother with it now?

3. May 14, 2024 at 7:43 AM
    bumbobee

bumbobee [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ziggy
    I agree. I am not looking to replace it now. Just want to educate myself on what is needed for the future and what has the best on road dynamics. Hopefully it will last 150 k miles.

4. May 14, 2024 at 7:44 AM
    water

water New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    brian
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner
    Yes
    I am interested in what responses you get.

my initial thought is stick with stock as Toyota designed it to work.

changing suspension is commonly done to achieve something (better clearance, softer ride, towing/weight). Some like the look of a lift. When changed, the truck will perform differently. that could be an overall detriment for some types of driving like on road.

There are upgraded shocks to make the ride more comfortable.

Springs add lift, shocks dampen bounce. Control arms and other adjustments are commonly because of larger lifts needing redesigned parts. Struts are basically shocks and springs mated to each other.
    Cheers.

5. May 14, 2024 at 8:37 AM
    sympley76

sympley76 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Limited
    From my research if keeping it more on a road than Xreas is pretty good system. I have it too. A side question, I bought mine used, how would one know if it is working property? I see no signs of leaks or anything like that but still have a nose dive. Maybe not as much as my parents SR5 but still some nose dive. Other that that is feels pretty planted for a truck.

6. May 14, 2024 at 9:23 AM
    Airdam

Airdam New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    airdam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Urban Runner 2012 Limited 2023 TRD Sport
    First thing is you will see oil residue on the shock, covered by dirt and road grime
    then probably 10,000+ miles later you will notice whichever corner that is leaking will feel different than normal, feel it topping out on big bumps and maybe even hearing it flutter on chatter bumps on a gravel road
    then probably 5,000+ miles after that you will notice whichever corner that was leaking, the opposite corner will start doing the same thing as the right front and left rear are connected, as are the left front and right rear are connected. Whichever was leaking first, and then fluttering, you will notice the opposite corner starting to do the same as the main tube loses pressure so both shocks are affected. At this point you will start to hear even more flutter and feel bottoming out and topping out on bumps and pot-holes since the shock no longer has the nitrogen charge or oil to dampen the springs "bounce"

Ricphoto and Harringbr99 like this.
  7. May 14, 2024 at 9:44 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg New Member

Member:
    In my personal experience I haven't find anything good as XREAS for on road comfort. (This is based on personally using cheap Bilstien 5100, OME Nitro Sport, Ironman FCP, Factory TRD Pro Fox to stupid expensive ELKA 2.5DC)

XREAS is completely manual system. It just have some lines connecting front and back shocks in a X like pattern. When I swap the suspension the 4x4shop just charged extra 1 hour to remove those lines running along the frame. No big deal. No check engine lights after remove, its not like KDSS swaybar, XREAS are just fancy kind of shocks.

From my experience I like Ironman FCP to be the value for money (when they are on sale) for a decent on road comfort. I used their stage 1 with out UCA. The alignment is not 100% perfect but I feel no issues nor any sign of uneven tire wear. In the past I used aftermarket UCA but later I'm thinking aftermarket are not good as factory needing to re grease at every oil change. I do oil changes at dealership and dealership don't re-grease UCA. I'm a lazy a$$ and not doing extra maintenance myself.
    Even though I don't have personal experience I think shocks that have both compression and rebound adjustability (Eg - OME BP-51, Dobinson MRR)you could possibly adjust to a level that is pretty comfy on road.
    I also think higher load springs give firmer ride. Why I picked 1.5in rear springs for my Limited.

Sometimes I wish I kept XREAS and just drop a 1/2in spacer on top of front strut to give a better look. The drop type spacer would most likely not put risk technician ruining the XREAS.
    Fancy aftermarket suspension most likely to leak with less miles than XREAS anyways as aftermarket suspension that are serviceable have a service interval of 30K-50K miles depending on the use.

Ricphoto and Harringbr99 like this.
  8. May 14, 2024 at 1:41 PM
    TimGinCentralNJ

TimGinCentralNJ New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Vehicle:
    '24 Limited in Classic Silver
    TRD Pro rims w/265/70-17 Toyo OC AT3s
    Understandable that you want to get in front of this, but based on the guidance that it should last at least 100K miles...if you're anything like me, you will have long forgotten the advice you received here by the time you actually need it - lol ;)

I just picked up a '24 Limited and will need to go this route, too, one day....but until then, I'm just going to enjoy her.

TimG.

2018 Limited likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top