1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best Rooftop Tent

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by IOTOI, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Jun 17, 2017 at 7:13 AM
    IOTOI

IOTOI [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    Looking to buy a rooftop tent for my 2016 4runner, we are 2 people and be traveling for 3 months so looking for something comfortable and easy to use, don't want to be squeezed in to the rent as this will be our home for couple of months.

Looking for something that is durable/good built/easy to use and best for the money

What about these 2 from REI, good thing is that if not satisfied I can always return them.
    Tepui Tents Autana XL Sky 4 Tent
    Or
    Yakima SkyRise 3 Rooftop Tent

Any recommendations?

2. Jun 17, 2017 at 7:52 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Orange, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 T4R Trail Premium
    Remote Start, 2" lift, Sliders, SSO Hybrid Bumper
    The Yakima looks promising but I don't have enough information to suggest it might be durable at this point. It's made of nylon, which is good for summers, but some people have complained about leaking.

The Tepui, on the other hand, is a hardy and well respected brand. It's heavier duty, and if the difference is cost isn't a problem for you, the obvious choice.

IOTOI likes this.
  3. Jun 17, 2017 at 6:33 PM
    Kyotii

Kyotii New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 TEP W/KDSS SILVER
    WINDOW TINT!.....
    I was looking at a ikamper they seem impressive and they show one on a orange 4runner on the site. Polycotton , hard shell, aluminum honeycomb floor and lightweight

Palerider and IOTOI like this.
  4. Jun 18, 2017 at 7:22 PM
    Palerider

Palerider New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD PRO quicksand
    Installed Rago brackets and 4" cube ditch lights. Weather tech mats. Cargo net. Cargo mat. Ordered Gobi rack with ladder.

I agree with you. Have not seen a better built/engineered tent. Looks like a great company too.

IOTOI likes this.
  5. Jun 18, 2017 at 7:31 PM
    Krezz

Krezz Doesn't want to be a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner TRD Pro
    See Build Thread
    My family uses a Tepui. We've only had it since March 2017, but we've had it out on 4 different camp trips already and so far it's held up well. It had gotten cold over night on our March trip, but the tent stayed very well inside. Too warm, kind of. We have condensation running all along the inner walls... we didn't open enough vents. It was our first time using it.

Next two trips it had rained over night, and everyone in the main sleeper was comfortable and our dogs in the annex remained dry and secure.
    The price was the price, but the quality so far seems worth it.

As we have the 4 man Autana Ruggedized XL atm, we plan on adding a 2 man onto the 4Runner for when we take off without the kids.

IMG_20170603_2125564.jpg IMG_20170603_1319371.jpg IMG_20170513_1646058-panorama.jpg

Palerider and IOTOI like this.
To Top