1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Best alternative to POR-15 for new armor?

Discussion in 'Armor' started by Snickel Fritz, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Jul 3, 2020 at 12:25 AM
    Snickel Fritz

Snickel Fritz [OP] Grew Up Around Lead Paint

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    FN Konig Six Shooters+Cooper AT3 4S 255/75/17 Kenwood DNX996XR RAV4 heated blind spot mirrors OEM Blackout Edition LED fogs Buncha sheepskin stuff Not installed... yet: Thinkware U1000 DC (benched) Renogy DCC50S (benched) SOS Concepts Aluminum Full Bumper and Steel Sliders (ordered)
    So, I made a goof.
    After a couple of months of reading around the web, I thought that I had found the perfect solution to coating my new bumper and sliders... and followed bad advice.
    My topcoat is probably okay - Rustoleum matte black Hammered spray (a dozen cans) but my primer was ill-advised - SEM self etching grey (fabricator suggested it as a stand-alone primer, thought that was odd...). It would be fine to use if I could properly prep my armor (and use an intermediary primer between the topcoat) but frankly there are too many nooks and crannies that no tool, rag or bit of sandpaper is going to effectively scuff or clean.
    The sliders are plate (Artec), and have a lot of flash rust throughout, and bluing around the welds. The bumper is tube and plate (Hefty Fab), and has less bluing or rust but is nearly covered in black mill scale (which my gf and I wish we could keep, it's purty lol).
    Considering that I won't be wheeling much if at all and that I really don't want to be pulling these off every year or two, I've been looking at some various rust-converters and encapsulators. No matter what I do, I have flash rust showing back up on one end before I finish at the other, so I think this is the right approach...

So far, the brands that have stood out are Corroseal, Mastercoat, and Rust Bullet.
    The Corroseal is supposed to be similar to Ospho while providing a stable primer layer once finished, but I get the feeling it won't do well on clean steel that has only small bits of rust on it... I'm awaiting answers on that still.
    The Mastercoat stuff has gotten loads of great reviews, and while the manufacturer does seem to suggest that a fully prepared surface is best, they claim it will still be durable with a minimum of brushing, degreasing, and solvent wipe right before applying with a brush, roller or sprayer. This stuff is silver, and is supposed to make a good primer or topcoat if one so chooses. I'm leaning toward this, followed by my Hammered for the top.
    Rust Bullet seems to be very similar to Mastercoat, but I haven't found much definitive info on it yet though it does seem generally well received.

I know that a lot of people seem to like POR-15, but I really don't have the luxury of time, space, or extra money to buy all the extras needed for that stuff... do POR-15 wrong, and it'll bite me in the rear.

Any thoughts, tips, tricks, cheat codes, experience and advice is appreciated- I'm way behind and way over budget, but I want to do this right!
    Thanks!

2. Jul 4, 2020 at 12:49 AM
    Snickel Fritz

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    FN Konig Six Shooters+Cooper AT3 4S 255/75/17 Kenwood DNX996XR RAV4 heated blind spot mirrors OEM Blackout Edition LED fogs Buncha sheepskin stuff Not installed... yet: Thinkware U1000 DC (benched) Renogy DCC50S (benched) SOS Concepts Aluminum Full Bumper and Steel Sliders (ordered)
    Bump. Neighbors woke me up, so why not lol...

3. Jul 4, 2020 at 7:01 AM
    erfer1

erfer1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    SW NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 Limited
    Unfortunately, I can't offer an alternative, as I was a POR can. Lived in N Illinois, and rust is a big issue, so I bit the bullet and did the work. I was extremely pleased as over 6 plus years, while dented and touched up, my Rovertym bumper and sliders never rusted. Not 1 bit. YMMV I have heard the MasterCraft was fairly good,b never saw it in person.

Snickel Fritz [OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 4, 2020 at 9:50 AM
    kbp810

kbp810 New Member

Member:
    I've never had much luck using just an etch primer alone; I usually just sand all surfaces as part of the clean/prep process, which makes it moot anyways. I haven't used an etch primer in quite a long time

I've had good luck with UPOL 182 primer as a base, or even SEM Rust Mort. Followed by an epoxy primer, then top coats.

If just touching up an existing paint job without stripping and restarting from scratch... then I'll often just treat with a rust converter (even rustoleum rust reformer), give it a day or two to do it's work, then touch up with whatever matches my top coat.

I do like POR15 for frame/under body touch ups.

Snickel Fritz [OP] likes this.
  5. Aug 1, 2020 at 8:34 PM
    Snickel Fritz

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    West Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD ORP - Silver
    Figure I'd give a minor update, even though there isn't much to report...

I bought three quarts of the Mastercoat Silver, as well as their own reducer/thinner and metal prep solution. We've had such high humidity for the past few weeks that I haven't been able to do squat, hopefully in the next week we'll get some drier air...

To Top