1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Beadlocked Wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by K-Paul, Feb 26, 2022.

1. Feb 26, 2022 at 8:16 PM
    K-Paul

K-Paul [OP] Looking for a water crossing

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    If you are running wheels with beadlocks please post them up and your experiences offroading.

Looking forward to getting some non-TRD wheels and want to increase my understanding on whats out there.

Also helpful would be any nuances to keep in mind when looking for wheels. Thanks in advance!!

djwantke likes this.
  2. Feb 27, 2022 at 3:31 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    Lots of simulated bead locks on the market. Competition seems to be the right place for real bead locks, you know they are a pain in the ass to change a tire right? Ever try to change a side by side tire with real bead locks? Some side by sides and 4 wheelers have bead locks due to the very low tire pressure they run and the tires cans easily bust a bead loose.

K-Paul[OP] and nimby like this.
  3. Feb 27, 2022 at 5:12 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    Real beadlocks are not street legal. I don't know of any that are DOT approved.

99.9% of the beadlocks that you see on 4Runners are fake beadlocks.

Since there are so many fake beadlocks out there, I'm sure you could get away with running real ones if you really wanted to. You may have a hard time finding a tire shop that will put them on, unless you go to a dedicated offroad shop.

djwantke, Toy4X4, K-Paul[OP] and 2 others like this.
  4. Feb 27, 2022 at 5:39 AM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    It appears the responses your getting fail to answer your question. So I will share what I found during my research on this topic.

There are 5 routes you can go in this…
    • True beadlock wheels
    • Hybrid beadlock wheels (what I got)
    • DOT approved beadlock grip (which I believe Method wheels patented)
    • Inner beadlock wheel with a secondary inner tube
    • No beadlock and be like every other person

I am going to reference the 3 middle options. Obviously true beadlock and no beadlock need no introduction.

Hybrid beadlock option:
    For reference here is what I got (Relation Race Wheels H7):
    Here it is with and without the plate on it. This wheel is able to be a beadlock wheel (if I choose to buy the beadlock wheel plates), or be a regular wheel with a changeable aluminum or steel plate:
    Without the plate:
    35CD2DFC-FBA2-40A4-BC2C-9E50A3728617.jpg

With the plate:

C8B4888A-231A-4485-A623-48C546F405BD.jpg

Beadlock grip technology

Inner air beadlock

I hope this helps.

djwantke, dgtulsaguy, Toy4X4 and 6 others like this.
  5. Feb 27, 2022 at 5:50 AM
    MI-FL off roader

MI-FL off roader T4R Hobby/Addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    03' SR5 Sport - 12' Limited
    Too many mods and too much money
    A true quality beadlock in a 17" size will be well over $300 a piece. In the unlikely possibility there is a DOT approved model, it will probably be priced well over $500 a piece. Gov certifications don't come cheap. The liability of an improperly installed bead lock ring flying off at 70 mph, effectively becoming a missle on the highway, makes it problem for most manufacturers.

Method has what they call bead grip rims, which have ridges running laterally on the lip, which helps keep the bead on the rim in a low pressure high stress situation.

If the simulated bead lock is what your looking for, like @nimby pointed out there are dozens.

IMO, they would be a PIA to keep clean.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
    djwantke, nimby and K-Paul[OP] like this.
  6. Feb 27, 2022 at 5:56 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    I don't think there is a true bead lock thats DOT approved.
    Screenshot_20220227-103422.jpg

nimby and Toy4X4 like this.
  7. Feb 27, 2022 at 11:14 AM
    K-Paul

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    Fantastic,

The dialogue above is what I wanted to see. And it is correct that Beadlocked wheels are not DOT approved, hence in the unlikely event you are in a fatality accident, legal teams would feast on your tires, defective or otherwise.

So far the Method 700 series are the only ones I have researched that are DOT approved, and offer a technology that helps you run lower pressures. They are the price of beadlocked wheels at $317+ a wheel.

All things considered, for 95% of us on here, seems like standard lightweight rims are sufficient.

nimby, Toy4X4 and MI-FL off roader like this.
  8. Feb 27, 2022 at 11:34 AM
    TRDLE

TRDLE New Member

Member:
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro
    Total noob question, but why aren't beadlock wheels DOT approved?

9. Feb 27, 2022 at 11:43 AM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    If a BL ring flies off at hwy speeds it would be a missile. Too much of a liability.

TRDLE[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Feb 27, 2022 at 11:47 AM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    MI-FL off roader likes this.
  11. Feb 27, 2022 at 12:12 PM
    K-Paul

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    This is just speculation on my end:

The threads for the screws that lock down the bead plate are more susceptible to coming loose. Keep in mind many people generally will NOT tighten screws to spec and go the "Good & Tight" route, which is not the safest.

So as mentioned earlier, the screws can become loose projectiles. And once one screw goes, the rest of the screws on the plate are more apt to loosen and create a higher possibility of wheel failure.

TRDLE[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Feb 27, 2022 at 12:14 PM
    TRDLE

TRDLE New Member

Member:
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro
  13. Feb 27, 2022 at 12:57 PM
    K-Paul

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    I also heard its good to use the stuff below for the beadlocks since the metal of the screws is different from the metal of the rims (For those not in the know, mixing metals expedites corrosion)

3421154E-D7E0-4190-9F37-BF0E271AD0B0.jpg

Ultra Tef-Gel as anti-seize for beadlock wheels.

Side question: Anyone here running the Method 700 series? What tires are you using and what are the lowest pressures you have run on trail?

GrantA and Toy4X4 like this.
  14. Feb 27, 2022 at 3:09 PM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    What is conversing? I married a beautiful woman, got a job, bought a house, moved, went to college, had 4 kids… But never conversed with anyone.

Maybe you should ask yourself before posting… what are my resources for the questions I am seeking? If you can’t find them then ask away. I know your specific question is better left to facts vs. some opinions on a forum since it is regarding laws.

I also like to implore people to actually do their own research vs. having someone do it for them. I believe that helps people grow vs. just giving everyone the answers they are seeking. While Google helps give you answers you are seeking it is a resource just like a dictionary. Instead of me being rude I was trying to help you.

you are welcome!!!

Toy4X4 and Thatbassguy like this.
  15. Feb 27, 2022 at 3:11 PM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    This is good info. Thank you for sharing this information. No guidance was given on that from RRW. I purchased anti-seize stuff from autozone to do this. But this might be better.

K-Paul[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  16. Feb 27, 2022 at 3:14 PM
    TRDLE

TRDLE New Member

Member:
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    '22 TRD Pro
    If someone mentions something that piques my interest, I might have a follow-up question and I'll ask it. That's how conversations work. If I were contemplating the purchase of beadlock wheels, or otherwise really needed to know the legal implications, of course I'll look it up.

Since you've never found basic people skills, I decided to hand them to you. Not trying to be rude, just trying to help. You're welcome!

Thatbassguy likes this.
  17. Feb 27, 2022 at 7:27 PM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Lol! Great conversation here. :D

I'd say beadlocks aren't worth the legal risk, in most cases. Non- beadlocks can be run pretty low without popping a bead. I've heard of folks running as low as 7-8 psi. I've never run less than 15. But, I might try 10-12 on a rocky section of trail this year, just to see how it is.

Ironguy, Toy4X4 and GrantA like this.
  18. Feb 27, 2022 at 7:32 PM
    GrantA

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    You kill me @Thatbassguy

Yeah I stay about 15-20psi as well. Don’t want to work to change out the tire. However if I hit super soft sand like in Utah I would venture down to 10-12. But that is because I am running a 285 on a 8.5 inch wheels and I believe that they will be a little harder to pop off the bead. But I guess you never know your limits until you try. I just never have been gutsy enough to do it nor have I felt the need (yet).

19. Feb 27, 2022 at 7:44 PM
    K-Paul

Member:
    First Name:
    Corbin Dallas
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4WD
    Same, ive gone down as low as 17psi because I am a chicken, but I would like to explore the limits more lol.

I had already done some research on beadlocked wheels but I wanted to pick everyone's brains here and also memorialize a topic so the next time it comes up it's easier for someone to reference this

GrantA and Thatbassguy like this.
  20. Feb 27, 2022 at 8:00 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    The lowest I've run so far was 15. 295's on 8.5" wheels. We were in an area with a lot of standing water and I really didn't want to get stuck.

I think I could get away with 8-10 if I don't push it.

Toy4X4 and K-Paul[QUOTED][OP] like this.
  21. Feb 27, 2022 at 8:14 PM
    MI-FL off roader

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Merritt Island, FL
    Vehicle:
    The other aspect of this... ugh ...conversation, is a D or an E sidewall. I think with a good sidewall and that Bead Grip rim that Method has developed, you could run below 15 or even 10 psi w little concern.

In the rocks a good spotter would help keep an eye on a potential problem.

Down here in Florida, people love to blast thru mud holes and puddles, but you aint ever gonna see that stump that rips your tire off the rim.

So IMO, driver experience and constraint plays a big role in all of this. Sometimes "full send" costs too much, when steady and deliberate would have worked.

Ironguy, GrantA, Toy4X4 and 2 others like this.
  22. Feb 28, 2022 at 2:16 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    We try to keep it around 20-22 psi offroad, I don't think it's that easy to "de-bead" a tire with that much air in it.

K-Paul[OP] and Thatbassguy like this.
  23. Dec 18, 2023 at 11:23 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    If you can't get the job done at 15 psi, back off! Stay away from beadlocks unless you have a street illegal rig that you tow everywhere. In that case run it at zero psi lol.

24. Dec 19, 2023 at 4:35 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    That's funny.

I just looked back at this thread, and I was going to mention that I've run 12 on several occasions now. I usually start at 15-20, though.

Depending on the tire, and weight of the vehicle, 15 PSI is not very low at all. If I had 35's, I'd probably run as low as 8.

I wouldn't run beadlocks on a daily driver, though.

djwantke and semprenissart like this.
  25. Dec 19, 2023 at 6:39 AM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    You are taking your chances when you go under 15

26. Dec 19, 2023 at 7:37 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I've heard of people going down to 7 without beadlocks. I judge it by the look of the tire. Every tire/size/load range reacts differently to being aired down.

djwantke, semprenissart and 3JOH22A like this.
  27. Dec 19, 2023 at 7:40 AM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    I am 34 inch load E, and I don't want to learn lol. I believe when I see somebody

djwantke likes this.
  28. Dec 19, 2023 at 12:27 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    I've done 8psi through deep sandy areas when I owned a 2wd Ranger. Tires were 33's on a 15" wheel. No issues.

Once I was out of the sand, I would bump it back up a little.

29. Jan 10, 2024 at 2:31 PM
    djwantke

djwantke New Member

Member:
    Maple Ridge, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner Trail Premium
    Bought brand new 2016 After May 2021: -Approx 3" lift/level: Bilstein 5100's, OME 2884 590lb 3" front lift springs, SPC UCA's, ICON 158506 2" lift rear coils, diff drop -Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ LT285/70R17 Load E -Mickey Thompson Sidebiter ll 17x9, 0 offset, 5 backspace -Pro Comp black spline lugs ^installed by 4WheelParts^ -New brakes and rotors by brake shop -4-piece ARB skid kit -Smittybilt 2" nerf steps -MBRP black exhaust tip, chopped OEM -Drivers side OEM FJ oh shit handle -All blacked out emblems -Blacked out roof rails -4x WeatherTech window rain guards -OEM custom rear mud flap deletes -KICK BACK MUD FLAPS 12" WIDE - BLACK TOP AND BLACK WEIGHT -FRAM EXTRA GUARD CA10835 engine air filter -1797 LED tricolor fog bulbs Yellow 3000K White 6000K Blue 15000K 28W 4000LM -Armour paint lower rear bumper -Front bumper high stage high clearance cut -Fenders cut straight across, pink reservoir sprayed black -4Runner Lifestyle sequential fog fangs -4Runner Lifestyle smoked taillight decals -Pedal Commander -Rear passenger cargo mounted 120v truck tire pump -4x Spidertrax 1.25" black aluminum wheel spacers -Yota Twins Paracord Hatch Strap sand camo -Teton Workshop hard anodized matte black aluminum shift knob -Ditch flood lights 4 LED 20w 1400lm w/ OEM hood mounts on OEM style dash switch -Backup flood lights under bumper 6 LED 18w 1500lm on OEM style dash switch -Body Mount Chop; cut, weld, paint -Fender mount chop, re-weld, paint -Fender Liner cut behind wheel (I cut liner in front of wheel clean off at top of viper cut) -Wheel well firewall hammering, painting ^done by Arc One Industries^ -valance cap trim -Agency6 Black Shackle Block 2" US Certified 6061 T6 CNC machined aluminum -DRT fab universal hitch skid -ACDelco inner tie rods, outer tie rods, bellows -Full Dr. KDSS switch kit -March 31 Behind grille 13-1/4" 32 LED light bar + wide-angle, eagle-eye lens 6000lm on OEM style dash switch -RAA Powder coated steel roof rack cargo basket, 1" side rails, 64" x 39" x 6", 250lb limit -roof gas can, water can, shovel -PEAKTOW PTT0063 Hitch Mount Cargo Carrier 51-1/2 x 17-1/2 x 4 inches 500 lbs. Capacity (trips only) -July/2023: purchased first needed SPC balljoint replacement kit - newly released, upgraded non-zerk sealed joints 25002 -July 15/2023: The Original Universal EZ Flares, 1". All four corners -Dec. 2023: removed bumper cover and crash bar, drilled frame, installed Apex Overland KDSS Recovery Points -Jan. 2024: SPC balljoint replacement kit - upgraded non-zerk sealed joint design 25002 -Feb. 3/ 2024: 4x KC Wire Hiders, for roof rack lighting Feb. 13/2024: New ditch lights, on new Rago Fabrication Extension brackets. 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Replacing 3inch EVERGEAR clear lens ditch light pods w/ yellow lamix-x In progress: 4th, 5th, and 6th set of off road lights Electrical components and wiring purchased, not started -roof rack scene lighting - EVERGEAR ea. 1,350 lumens, 30w, 3-¾" round floods. Custom, side mounted w/ galvanized flat bar And -roof rack upper ditch lights - 3inch Quad Row Amber Pods from LED-Club. 32W 3200Lm 16-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to front corners And -roof rack reverse amber pods / secondary hazard lights. 20W 2000Lm 2-LED Spot Beam. Bar clamp mounted to rear side And -roof rack F1 smoked chase light w/ lighting effects. Custom bolted to rear side -POR15 rust proofing line-up, 3-step process PAUSED until 70⁰ weather Bought, in the garage queue: -BlueFire 6-Circuit Fuse Block with LED Indicator & Protection Cover -Blue Sea Systems 100A Circuit Breaker w/ reset lever -Rust prevention •New can POR15, 2x Black Fluid Film, long spray nozzle attachments, 2x PB Surface Shield, 1x Chainwax •partially used POR15 Degreaser, Metal Prep Wanted - PerryParts or Wheelers bump stops, self fabricated limb risers (seasonal, removable), 1" body lift, powder coated center winch bumper w/ large bar (got no tss), rear steel bumper w/ tire carrier for an LT285 Kumho on steely, sliders, bolt on cat shields
    @Yotaholic
    @Thatbassguy
    Man I just read this entire thread haha
    That was funny. And knowledgeable.
    Can I ask you smart folks one question, how low psi you reckon LT285/70's load E can go without going too too crazy?
    Yotaholic you were saying 15 psi on ur load E's

Yotaholic likes this.
  30. Jan 10, 2024 at 2:32 PM
    Yotaholic

Yotaholic New Member

Member:
    Olympia, WA
    15 psi works perfectly fine, I've done 30 mph with them for miles lol

Products Discussed in

To Top