1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear 4 speakers not working

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by sebosky2384, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Jul 25, 2020 at 8:16 AM
    sebosky2384

sebosky2384 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2011 4runner sr5
    I just got a great deal on a 2011 4r from family, single owner, low miles great condition, everything is perfect except only the back 4 speakers, 2 rear door and 2 lift gate speakers don't work. I've tried a different head unit, tried jumping the wires to a new speaker but nothing going to the wires, and the head unit is 100%. I believe it is a wiring issue between the head unit and the rear speakers. Any suggestions or tips on how to get new wires ran clean and out of sight?

2. Jul 25, 2020 at 12:13 PM
    4scooter19

4scooter19 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 and 86 4Runners
    I'm not familiar with how the audio is setup in an 11' but does it have an amp?

3. Jul 25, 2020 at 12:39 PM
    sebosky2384

sebosky2384 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    2011 4runner sr5
    It does not have that JBL audio amp and subwoofer, stock regular CD player head unit, and 8 speakers: 1 in each door, 2 tweeters I'm the dash and 2 in the lift gate. Wiring harness is weird I'm not even sure what wires go to the speakers exactly

4. Aug 1, 2021 at 5:35 PM
    kickboxingpenguin

kickboxingpenguin New Member

Member:
    Sorry for the late comment. The back speakers are all in series, so if any one speaker is out, they all will not work. Best bet is to check the connections / polarity on each speaker, or just do an upgrade and rewire them in parallel.

aroyalsfan likes this.
  5. Sep 30, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    dolbytone

dolbytone New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road
    The left side is series and the right side is series, they are not all four wired in series. He would need one left and one right to both have failed to have no audio in the rear.

This is plausible however.

I would meter the connector at the rear door speaker on each side to diagnose.

6. Oct 6, 2021 at 12:18 PM
    Sixgunz

Sixgunz Gold Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    2022 ORP
    Kings front and back, RSG sliders, GOBI ladder BFG AT 285s, OEM phone dial wheels, KDSS
    Are the rear 4 speakers stock? If they aren't, there's a decent chance someone along the way also added an amp. The amp may have gone bad or maybe the "remote turn on" wire to the amp came off or a fuse has been blown. You said it's a 1 owner vehicle. Maybe ask them if they ever had any audio work done.

I also believe your 4Runner has the "party mode" button, which does some electrical magic and routes all sound to your lift gate speakers from the rear door speakers. Maybe that button is malfunctioning? It also could mean your rear lift-gate speakers are blown if the party mode button is engaged & they aren't working.

If the system is completely stock, the party mode button isn't engaged and you don't have any electrical diagnostic equipment, try taking one of the rear lift gate speakers and plugging it into the opposite side door speaker location. If that works, do the same to the other side. If that fixes the problem, you have blown door speakers. If none of that changes anything, you either have a bad head unit or the wires to both sides have been cut or worn through, which would really be surprising.

To find that problem, you're talking about removing the seats, consoles, door trim pieces, and carpeting to follow the stock wiring and/or running new speaker wire. It's not a quick project. If it were me, I'd buy what's called an electrical toner and "tone" the rear speaker wires at the head unit to see if the "tone" is heard at the rear speakers, starting at the doors. If the tone is there, it's not a broke wiring issue.

7. Oct 20, 2022 at 4:48 PM
    STrooper

STrooper Let’s Go Places!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2019 4runner TRD Off Road
    Hey guys. Sorry to revive this thread but my left back and left hatch speaker is not working. Every other speaker works just fine. I have a 2014 4runner sr5 non JBL and I do not have a "party mode button“. Any thoughts what could be causing the issue? I have new kicker speaker and swap them to troubleshoot the issue and no sound, so I know is not a speaker issue. I’m checking the head unit next since I was considering replacing the head unit to a double din Pioneer. Does the OEM head unit has an integrated amp?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  8. Oct 21, 2022 at 4:13 AM
    dolbytone

dolbytone New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road
    Yeah, easy fix.

9. Oct 21, 2022 at 5:06 AM
    STrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    What’s the fix sir???

10. Oct 23, 2022 at 5:56 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road
    Well, we know each side is wired in series and if there is a connection issue on either speaker they would both go out so the easy fix is to bust out the old meter and chase the open circuit.

I’d start at the hatch speaker and verify impedance on the speaker disconnected, then the disconnected wires if the speaker shows good. Probably either one speaker is bad, or the connection to one of the speakers is.

11. Oct 23, 2022 at 6:04 PM
    STrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    I’m not sure about the connection being in series as I interchanged speakers and is not the speaker. I thought, could it be the radio not sending a direct signal? So I also change the radio for an aftermarket and is not the radio either. Some advised that it might be the OEM radio amplifier located in the trunk right side. Even if is the amp, what would be the next step? Are they rebuildable? And who can do the job? Find a use one on eBay etc.
    One option I had in mine (in which I tried already and works perfectly) was to throw a line directly from the aftermarket radio to the back door speaker. However I truly want to fix the issue and not cut corners.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Oct 23, 2022 at 6:28 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Off Road
    Keep it simple and verify your speakers and connections first. It’s a process and it’s best to start at step 1.

13. Oct 23, 2022 at 6:30 PM
    STrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    It would be great to have a diagram of the full audio system but very difficult to get one.

14. Mar 27, 2023 at 8:04 PM
    Jeff w

Jeff w New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2011 4runner
    2011 4runner. Hatch speakers are working in party mode, not doors. Turn off, just front. Party mode switch? No jbl

15. Mar 29, 2023 at 10:49 AM
    LadeDruck

LadeDruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Pearl Effect White Ltd.

buy a multimeter and learn how to use it. Simple to pop speakers out and check for continuity, highly doubt the issue is in the wiring itself. If it’s not an amplified system it’s either the speakers or the HU channels, that’s it. As someone mentioned above, car audio is in stereo, so having a blown speaker would affect only the side with which it is in line.

Check the HU by looking for ac voltage locally at the speaker locations.

simple and plain.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
  16. Mar 29, 2023 at 12:20 PM
    STrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    Few month ago I had a similar issue (speakers not working) and made a post for it to gather some input from the community. My driver side rear speaker and the hatch speaker stopped working and I thought it was a wire issue as well. I had a spare speaker at home and swapped it to troubleshoot the issue and both speakers started to work. From the manufacturer, the rear driver side speaker is also in connection to the left hatch speaker. At first, I thought it was a wire issue b/c the OEM speaker looked brand new. I would definitely encourage OP sebosky2384 to swap the speakers first and see if that fixes the issue before starting to rip interior panels out etc.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
  17. Apr 4, 2023 at 8:31 AM
    LadeDruck

LadeDruck New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Pearl Effect White Ltd.
    Update?

Products Discussed in

To Top