1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Awning Options? (180 and maybe 270)

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by jtice, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Aug 5, 2019 at 10:52 AM
    jtice

jtice [OP] New Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    Eibach Pro Truck Lift, 255/75/R17 BFG K02s, TRD Pro Wheels, C4Fab Front Bumper, Smittybilt 9.5 Winch, Rocky Road Super Sliders, BajaRacks Rear Hatch Ladder, SSO Roof Rack, RCI Full AL Skids
    So, I have decided I want to ass an awning to the 4Runner, but Im driving myself crazy trying to pick one out.
    Here are some features that are a must for me.
    - Support legs builtin, and not separate.
    - Optional all on walls (prefer them to be separate panels)
    - Ability to angle the awning down some. (not just rigid straight out from where its mounted)
    - Smaller packed size the better.
    - Ability to still open the rear hatch.

So, that last thing, about being able to open the hatch, pretty much seems to eliminate all 270 awnings.
    I did see that there was a video and couple photos of the 23Zero Peregrine 270 awning being used on a 4runner with the gate open, but it was VERY tight, and touching the one awning arm.
    I also have a ladder, so I fear that would push up on the awning material too much also.
    But honestly, the little triangle of the 270 awnings over the rear gate doesnt seem to add much actual usable coverage anyway.

So far, my favorite 180 awnings are the Overland Systems Nomadic 180
    https://overlandvehiclesystems.com/...g-180-green-cover-with-black-cover-universal/
    Which, seems to be exactly the same as the Darche
    http://www.darcheusa.com/Awnings/darche-ecplise-180-awning

My main issues with them are the fact that the wall kit is all one giant piece, and not individual walls,
    and it doesnt look like you can angle or slope the awning down any. The hinges look very tough which is great, but they dont allow you to angle it any.

Anyone have the OVS Nomadic 180 or the Darche 180? Can you in fact angle it any?

Anyone know of any other options that meet my picky requirements?

2. Sep 18, 2020 at 8:18 PM
    2A4R

2A4R New Member

Member:
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    19 4R TRD PRO
    Have you chosen an awning? I'm also looking at the Nomadic 180. It seems to be at the top of my list.

Anyone else have any input regarding the OVS products?

3. Sep 21, 2020 at 6:37 AM
    jtice

jtice [OP] New Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    Eibach Pro Truck Lift, 255/75/R17 BFG K02s, TRD Pro Wheels, C4Fab Front Bumper, Smittybilt 9.5 Winch, Rocky Road Super Sliders, BajaRacks Rear Hatch Ladder, SSO Roof Rack, RCI Full AL Skids
    I ended up going with an ARB side awning, I was worried about the 180 and 270s getting in the way of the gate.
    I also decided that in most cases I would want to use a wall section also, on at least one side.
    I found out that you can leave the front wall section attached to the ARB and still roll it up into its case,,, barely.
    Its what you see in the lower left photo.
    So far I am pleased with it, seems well made and is easy enough to setup.
    The front wall section also acts as the stake down points so you dont have to have other cords to deal with.
    [​IMG]

2A4R and 4Runner fun like this.
  4. Sep 21, 2020 at 12:09 PM
    DaveW

DaveW New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dave
    Vehicle:
    2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
    I understand that everyone has their own reasons for wanting things and great on them. However, the hassle of taking down an awning or a rooftop tent any time you wanted to drive your vehicle (and then putting them back up when you get back to your camp) would mean that i could never seriously consider owning either of them. I much prefer having a camper trailer with an awning or even a regular tent.

5. Sep 21, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    jtice

jtice [OP] New Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    I completely agree on the, once its setup you cant leave camp thing.
    My buddies and I have discussed that alot about the RTT route.
    I typically dont stay at a place more than one night, not been much of an issue for me, and I only use the awning when I have to.
    I sleep on a platform in the back of the 4R.
    I like the idea of the trailers, everything stays packed and ready to go, you can leave it at base camp, I just dont want to tow anything, and dont NEED to for my setup.

6. Sep 21, 2020 at 12:29 PM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    I agree on the tent part. I set up camp and leave for hours in the vehicle.

the awning, though, 100% worth it. It only takes a minute to set up or put up. I’ve tried portable awnings and came back to them being blown over in cactus because I couldn’t stake them in the hard ground.

2A4R and 4Runner fun like this.
  7. Sep 21, 2020 at 8:00 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    That is exactly what I want. What size did you get? I am very excited for you. Did you get the attachable room for it?
    Thanks for the info.

8. Sep 21, 2020 at 8:05 PM
    jtice

jtice [OP] New Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    I went with the 2500 size, it does overhang the front of the rack a bit, but not enough that you can see it while driving.
    The next size down "fits" much better being about the same length as the rack, but you loose a good bit of coverage that way.
    No I didnt get the room, just the front, and one side.
    I was really happy that I could keep that front piece connected and still get it all rolled up in the bag.

4Runner fun[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Sep 21, 2020 at 8:14 PM
    4Runner fun

4Runner fun Just the beginning...

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2019 Black T4R TRD Off Road Premium
    Wrangler Duratracs, center console organizer & trav all 1576 dog divider for the rear. Xpel wrap with ceramic coating. 20% tint on front windows. TRD intake. TRD oil cap Plus parts on shelf & a wish list.
    As I am 6'4 I will need the 2500 also. I hope to get the room also. I believe it will sleep the two of us & our dog very well.
    Please, let us know how you like it in the coming uses.
    Also, how do you like the SSO rack? How about wind noise?
    Sorry, that is what I want!
    Great setup,
    Ryan.

10. Sep 21, 2020 at 8:24 PM
    jtice

jtice [OP] New Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5
    Sadly I have not used it much at all yet, just not needed it, but what little I have messed with it, it seems well made and should last, no complaints so far.
    The rack, its been great, suuuuper strong setup, well made.
    Noise? ehhhhhhhhhhhh lol
    Its said to be one of the racks on the quiet side, and its not hoooorrible, but, its 100% noticeable up there for sure, especially wind gusts on the highway.
    No whistling or strange noises like that though at least.
    I now have a solar panel on it, with a metal plate between the panel and the front wind deflector, that seemed to help a bit.
    Word of advice, use ALOT of silicone sealant when you bolt it into the 4Runners stock mounting holes to make sure its sealed.
    Down in the holes, on the bolts, between the 4R and the spacers, every damn where. lol
    You can see photos of it here.
    https://jtice.smugmug.com/Vehicles/2016-Toyota-4Runner/Misc-4Runner/

Mohoman and 4Runner fun like this.
  11. Sep 22, 2020 at 5:31 AM
    2A4R

2A4R New Member

Member:
    Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    19 4R TRD PRO
    What @Jynarik said.. I, too, agree that a RTT would be a hassle. I definitely won't be getting one, just because it doesn't fit my needs.

I just ordered the OVS Nomadic 180 awning. Looks like you can get it unpacked or packed back up in a minute or two. My main uses for the awning will be for short periods of time like stopping for a lunch break on the trail. Anything to get my pale ass out of the sun is worth it!

12. Sep 22, 2020 at 5:58 AM
    Mohoman

Mohoman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    99 Limited
    Queen of Battle
    For those of you that are still searching, I just received my 2.5M awning from Ironman4x4usa. The quality seems similar to military grade. Arrived last night, and thoroughly inspected! They have some decent sales going on however, I’ve only seen standard awnings. Dare I say their customer service is unmatched? If you talk to them on the phone, their silver tongues will have you buying all types of goodies!

4Runner fun and 2A4R like this.
  13. Sep 22, 2020 at 6:47 AM
    Todi

Todi New Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD Off-road
    M.O.R.E. aluminum skid set; Artec aluminum gas tank skid and LCA skids; C4Fab rear diff skid; HeftyFab Banshee front bumper; RezFab flat sliders; SSO rack; 285/70-17 E Falken AT3W; Ironman 4x4 Foam Cell Pro Stage 3
    Did you get the room as well, how about the quick disconnect brackets? I saw somewhere on YouTube an Aussie used the quick disconnect, two extra tent poles and guidelines to be able to leave it up while moving the truck.

14. Sep 22, 2020 at 7:40 AM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    I am happy with my 2.5, but I will not vouch for their CS. I think they are among the worst.

15. Sep 22, 2020 at 7:45 AM
    Mohoman

Mohoman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle:
    99 Limited
    Queen of Battle
    With their current sales, the associated room has been sold out since I can remember. I was recently advised though, they should be back in-stock this week. I’ll update pending complete setup. @Jynarik, bummed your experience seemed less than pleasant. I know they’ve been affected by the fires so possible change of heart?

16. Oct 6, 2020 at 8:45 AM
    TrailT

TrailT New Member

Member:
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner TRD Pro in Cavalry Blue - Overlanding Home Away From Home
    ICON Vehicle Dynamics Stage 7 Suspension, CBI Full Front and Dual Swing Arm Rear Bumpers, CBI Rock Sliders w/Kick Outs, Front Runner Slimline 2 Roof Rack, Alu-Cab Stealth Roof Top Tent, Darche Eclipse 180deg Awning, Switch Pro SP-9100, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System, Odyssey 35-PC1400T Battery, RIGID Warn 10S Winch, ARB On-Board Twin Air Compressor, ARB Rear Diff Breather, RIGID E-Series Pro 30" Spot/Flood Combo Grill LED, RIGID D-SS Pro Flood Ditch Lights, RIGID D-Series Diffused Flush Mount Backup Lights, Curt Ball Hitch w/4-in Drop, Dometic FCX-50W Refrigerator w/Cover, Patriot Edition Hi-Lift Jack, EliteSport Waterproof Seat Shields, Front Runner 10.6 gal Footwell Water Tank, DIY Water Filtration & UV Purification System
    I went through the same thought process (180 vs 270 deg) when searching for an awning about 18 months ago for my 5th gen w/roof-top tent on a Front Runner Slimline roof rack. I ended up going with the Darche Eclipse 180 and have been really happy with it. Setup and take down are quick and easy, and I love always having it with me for deployment anytime.

I also have the Datche walls for the Eclipse, but I’ve found that in my situation I value the cargo room more than the walls, so I usually don’t bring the walls with me (we have a fridge and a wheelchair in the rear of the vehicle).

I’ll probably sell the walls to help fund a future snorkel.

One note about the poles and ‘tippability’ of the Eclipse...while the hinges are designed at a fixed (horizontal) angle, there is enough play in the joints that you do have some control over the angle of the awning when deployed. The middle two of the four support arms have integrated, collapsible, folding poles. These work really well. I also use two additional Darche poles for the end support arms to give me extra control over the slope of the awning. Fortunately, These fit in the awning housing, so no worries about forgetting them or needing extra storage space.

One final note: there are two adjustable straps to pull the end support arms taut. I hook these to the far (driver side) corners of the roof rack and the work perfectly. The rear strap is touched when I raise the rear hatch, but it doesn’t damage anything and doesn’t impair the function of the awning or hatch.
    Good luck on your selection!

17. Jul 2, 2023 at 9:46 AM
    Spare Parts

Spare Parts New Member

Member:
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    22 LR ORP
    Sherpa Crestone. 4X Innovations Sliders
    Anyone got any follow up feedback?

Products Discussed in

To Top