1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Anyone lift for increased clearance but keep stock tires?

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Cpb2019, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Jun 16, 2019 at 5:28 AM
    Cpb2019

Cpb2019 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Off-road
    I looks like most folks do a lift + larger diameter wheels/tires. If you have just lifted to gain another 2 inches or so of clearance and kept the stock size tires, I’d like to hear whether you were happy doing so and what setup you used.

I find that there are times that a couple of inches of clearance would be meaningful, but I’d like to keep the stock tire size.

Thanks,
    CPB

Thatbassguy likes this.
  2. Jun 16, 2019 at 6:21 AM
    Cpb2019

Cpb2019 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    Yes, good point, thanks. I hadn’t thought of that. It’s mostly tree roots/branches that I’ve had an issue with and axle clearance would matter.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  3. Jun 16, 2019 at 7:06 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    What you would gain would be slightly improved approach, break-over, and departure angles. And, if you don't drop the front differential, you'll gain a bit in the middle up front. Whether any of that is enough to make it worthwhile is debatable.

I'll stay tuned for more input. I plan on doing a slight lift and keeping the stock size tires as well. At least, until I change my mind again.

:popcorn:

4. Jun 16, 2019 at 7:20 AM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    You can go with a 275/70/17 without having to mod anything. If you go with a P-rated tire, it would be hard to distinguish much of a performance difference with the stock size, if that's a concern. Then again, depending on where you offroad, a C-rated tire may be a better fit durability wise.

The 275 will give you a small amount of extra clearance and will fit the wheel well better with a lift (I think the stock tire size already looks too small for the vehicle even without a lift, but that's my opinion).

Just some food for thought.

SlvrSlug likes this.
  5. Jun 16, 2019 at 7:44 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    While I wouldn't mind larger tires, I think they look plenty big. That could be because I came from a Tacoma, though. The taco had smaller tires and a longer wheelbase.

But, as you said, it's only a matter of opinion.

I actually would like to go a size up for off road tires, but don't see a lot of options I like without going to 285's

6. Jun 16, 2019 at 9:26 AM
    Cpb2019

Cpb2019 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the thoughts/comments thus far. I’m trying to keep costs down and it is a daily driver, so I didn’t want to go full blown lift/tires etc. It is all a balance.

Thatbassguy likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top