1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any successful anytime locker (blue wire) mods?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by 11x, Mar 27, 2023.

1. Mar 27, 2023 at 8:24 AM
    11x

11x [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd limited
    Been reading a lot about anytime rear locker (blue wire) mods on older gen 4Runners. I want to know if anyone has successfully completed it on a newer model especially 2019 and up? Yes I fully understand the risks,complications, limitations and liabilities involved so please don’t try to belittle me for wanting to do this. Thanks in advance for the positive and useful responses.

Nano909 likes this.
  2. Mar 27, 2023 at 8:48 AM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    Watching…

11x[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 27, 2023 at 8:57 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    Dr KDSS was working on something but not sure how far along he got. I did the relay method on my Tacoma and it worked fine but I don’t think I want to do it in the Runner.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    11x[OP] likes this.
  4. Mar 27, 2023 at 2:34 PM
    11x

11x [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd limited
    Kinda. On the 4Runner’s that have been done it’s a blue/red wire. Most of what I been reading about being done were 2010 or older models though.

5. Mar 27, 2023 at 11:39 PM
    Captain Spalding

Captain Spalding . . .

Member:
    In another thread I posted a cut and paste PDF of several pages of a wiring diagram I downloaded from somewhere. I don’t know what model year it’s from, but the pages pertain to the rear diff lock. If I read it correctly, using a switch to short the blue or blue-yellow wire (Transfer Indicator Switch (L4 Position)) to ground will fool the Four Wheel Drive Control ECU into thinking the transfer case is in 4lo, which may or may not allow the rear diff lock to be engaged at all times. This may also cause the 4lo light on the instrument panel to be lit, and the VSC and TRAC systems to be turned off, and their attendant lights to be lit. Or maybe it will fry the ECU. This is at the edge of my understanding or beyond, so use this info at your own risk.

https://www.4runners.com/attachments/toyota-4runner-rear-diff-lock-wiring-pdf.129169/

Maybe someone smarter than me can chime in…

Edited to add: so if the shift lever is in 4hi, and the 4lo switch circuit is shorted with an added switch, the ECU might get confused. I have no idea what I’m talking about.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
    11x[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top