1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any RN’s on here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mtbpsych, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Apr 14, 2020 at 8:10 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Got back into school, set on pursuing a career as an RN as its a job where you are providing a service/helping others, there is a surplus of jobs everywhere it seems, and is always an in demand job.
    That being said, I have about a year of school I need to do, to finish up the pre reqs required for the programs in my state.
    I currently work in a non-related field. I sometimes deal with very minor medical situations where I take individuals vitals, dispense meds, and coordinate medical care with doctors/nurses. Current job pays well so I’m wanting to stick with it up until I can apply to a nursing program and then have to quit and go part-time to do well in the program. Would it be better to finish school, get CNA certs, work at the hospital for a while and then apply? I’m not sure how heavily it weighs in your favor to have a CNA job moving onto RN or some medical job.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I know there’s no clear cut answer but I’m trying to get as much insight as I can to make the smartest move.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    WallyT4R likes this.
  2. Apr 14, 2020 at 8:22 AM
    SR5 Limited

SR5 Limited New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1996 SR5 Limited
    Get you Masters or PHD? Then you can start making the BIG bucks. That’s what my sisters did. Takes awhile to pay off your school loan but in the end you will come out ahead....

3. Apr 14, 2020 at 8:23 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    No interest in pursuing that path, as of yet. It’s more so about the work I’ll be doing rather than the money that’s intrigued me.

Bob, WallyT4R and 4Runner fun like this.
  4. Apr 14, 2020 at 8:24 AM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Start applying as soon as you can. Don’t worry about working as a CNA, IMO.

5. Apr 14, 2020 at 8:41 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Just curious, but why would say not to worry about CNA? Just trying to gain an understanding.

6. Apr 14, 2020 at 8:56 AM
    Jynarik

Jynarik I like boobies

Member:
    Austin Texas
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo
    Maybe it’s different where I’m at, but people with no life experience get into nursing school and get a job right after graduation. It’s such a high demand job. Now, if your specific program has qualifiers for applying that may get you higher on the list like volunteer work or medical experience, then sure, that may be a good route.

7. Apr 14, 2020 at 10:47 AM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    That make sense. I’m not 100% sure, but most of the programs here in state don’t require previous CNA experience with the exception of maybe one school. They all do however favor volunteer work.
    Good to know though, thank you!

8. Apr 14, 2020 at 7:31 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    Not an RN but I've been working in rehab medicine for 25 + years where I frequently irritate a lot of nurses and have 3 RNs in the family. As far as I know, none of RN's I'm around ever worked as a CNA. I say go for the RN. Tough job but good money and if you're any good at all you can just about pick where you work.

WallyT4R and Mtbpsych[OP] like this.
  9. Apr 14, 2020 at 7:33 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Good to know, I thought it would be way more common for RN’s to have worked as a CNA beforehand but looks to be like that’s not the case. Can’t say how good I am because I’m just going to be taking the pre reqs for it, but I will say I am very people oriented and love science so I think I’ll be good!
    Thank you!

10. Apr 15, 2020 at 5:21 PM
    Tama1968

Tama1968 New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5 in Classic Silver
    You sound motivated...that's half of it right there. best of luck!

Mtbpsych[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Apr 16, 2020 at 2:03 PM
    WallyT4R

WallyT4R New Member

Member:
    In some states you are required to be a CNA before you can be accepted in to a RN program. I feel it's beneficial just in the fact you will be around the field you will be studying. Of course all the ass wiping isn't that fun :D but you will be doing that as an RN anyways. Also start applying as soon as you possibly can for the program. As mentioned it is a high demand field. My daughter is currently in nursing school and she actually got in a little earlier due to others not making the cut for various reasons. So get on the list as soon as possible.

I currently work for the VA in the ICU. Been an RN for going on 15 years now. Although the VA is kind of antiquated it has been a very good job with excellent benefits. An I have a certain pride taking care of our veterans being one myself. You can make a lot of money in this field and if I was you I would at least get your BS degree as soon as you can. You can go pretty far with just that degree. Good luck and if you can stay out of the bullshit every job has and just concentrate on helping your patients, you will have a rewarding career.

Mtbpsych[OP] and nimby like this.
  12. Apr 16, 2020 at 2:46 PM
    Sundy

Sundy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD ORP
    My girlfriend did a similar path - she went through a masters program though (for people without a bachelors in nursing). Took the same amount of time, she was able to learn a lot more and is positioned well now that she's working. Passed her RN exam and eventually would like to become a nurse educator, after working in the field for awhile.

Good luck to you and I'm sure you'll enjoy!

Mtbpsych[OP] likes this.
  13. Apr 18, 2020 at 10:46 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Been MIA but thank you for the advice everyone! I really appreciate the thought out responses and honest direction. Helps a lot! Good to hear from veterans in the field as well as I know a lot of people get burnt out due to politics and what not, but as with all jobs if you can move past the BS politics and focus on your work it usually leads to a rewarding career.
    Again, thanks all I appreciate it!

Products Discussed in

To Top