1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alternator questions for charging my RV while driving

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by budlight, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Jul 10, 2020 at 8:55 AM
    budlight

budlight [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Off Road
    Want to install a 30A dc - dc smart charger to charge my RV battery while driving.

I presume my truck alternator is the newer "smart" (euro) version, rated at 130A. Yes? This will mean using an "isolated" Victron charger instead of their "non-isolated" charger, whatever the hell that means.

Can't find a power vs rpm chart for this alternator, but I'm assuming it will have no trouble powering 30A - 35A under idle, low-load conditions. Am I correct?

Any other thoughts? The charger will be activated by an isolated switch, after engine warm-up.

2. Jul 10, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    You're probably fine if that's all the extra load you're running. There's some overhead built into the vehicle's charging system.

Also, yes, you have a Smart Alternator, as most people do after 2003 or 2008 or something. Basically they used to put out 14.4v but now do more like 13.6v to save fuel economy.

I don't know of any 30A DC DC Chargers, what brand are you looking at? Good ones are RedArc, CTEK, and Renogy, but there are others.

Last question, can the DC DC charger do lead acid only, or lithium? I'd invest in one that can do lithium so if you upgrade later you'll not regret it.

3. Jul 10, 2020 at 11:31 AM
    budlight

budlight [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Off Road
    Thanx for the input fajitas21. I'm getting the only 30A charger I can find which is a Victron and it will serve the Li battery I will be charging. Just hope the Victron can nicely accommodate 4awg wire.

4. Jul 10, 2020 at 11:51 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2020 ORP
    Custom scratches
    If not, other good options are the Redarc BCDC25A (25A but plenty), and the BCDC40A. 4AWG works for both of those too, and lithiums as well.

Victron is quality stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top