1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Almost Lost It! New Tires?

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by DogoPilot, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Jan 24, 2022 at 9:51 AM
    DogoPilot

DogoPilot [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black ORP w/KDSS
    Yesterday I was driving up an on-ramp and while accelerating between 55-60, the rear end got loose and I overcorrected slightly right into the death wobble. Luckily, while my wife was yelling, "What the hell is happening and why would you do such a thing?", I tamed the death wobble and continued home unscathed.

Now, I have read about how terrible the stock Dunlops are and planned on getting new tires soonish, but they actually seemed okay under braking in slippery conditions so I was thinking that maybe the complaints were from amateurs who have never driven in snow before. Yesterday, however, I experienced that they will break loose very abruptly under light acceleration uphill, in very mild winter road conditions. Granted, I understand that driving a RWD vehicle requires different technique than what I'm used to (AWD Audi S4 with Blizzaks and Honda Pilot AWD), especially in the winter, but this was not aggressive acceleration by any means and the roads were well plowed and salted. Honestly, I don't think there was even any snow on the ramp at all, it was just very cold (8 degrees or so).

What I concluded is that I need new tires and I need to accelerate extremely carefully, especially uphill, even in very mild conditions for any other vehicle. Looking for some thoughts and (hopefully) constructive criticism. Will better A/T tires help or do I need to get some Blizzaks... like now? Honestly, I think if my wife was driving and this happened, it wouldn't have ended well.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
    Thatbassguy and TXKK626 like this.
  2. Jan 24, 2022 at 9:58 AM
    SlvrSlug

SlvrSlug Slightly bent.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Ramona Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 4-Runner SR-5 P. Kings, Built Right uca’s, Durabumps, RSG sliders
    I think the A/Ts would be a good improvement, and also practice slapping it into 4 hi. It will not hurt it to do so.

3. Jan 24, 2022 at 10:05 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    My Dunlops were gone at 1300 miles.

Better AT's will help a ton. Get a 3 peak mountain snowflake tire, severe snow service rating. A true winter tire will be even better, of course.

4. Jan 24, 2022 at 10:07 AM
    afret

afret 2022 ORP, KDSS, Toyo AT3

Member:
    North Idaho
    I would get the Blizzaks for winter. Gives you a good excuse to get a nice set of wheels for AT tires and use the OEM wheels for winter tires. :bananadance: Looks like you know how well the Blizzaks work.

I have several miles of dirt roads to get to my place and right now these roads are covered in solid sheet ice that I have to wear cleats to walk on. If my 4R showed up right now at the dealership I don't think I could get it home with the stock tires unless I put chains on for dirt/ice roads or just have the dealer put winter tires on the OEM wheels.

Glad that you're OK.

5. Jan 24, 2022 at 10:09 AM
    TXKK626

TXKK626 New Member

Member:
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture Edition
    Glad you're alright. Agree... the Dunlops are pretty crappy tires. I've had a couple hydroplaning issues myself, but nothing too scary and surprisingly, they've done fair on the snow in my area. I usually put it in 4 HI if there's a chance of slippage. I plan to soonish replace them as well—at 18k miles now—with AT Falken Wildpeak or Bridgestones KO2. I'll probably do that prior next winter to get as much out of them as I can.

6. Jan 24, 2022 at 10:09 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Also, if you decide to go with a dedicated set of winter tires, check out Nokian Hakkapeliittas. They're some of the best snow tires made.

7. Jan 24, 2022 at 10:15 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Since I've never had winter tires please educate me. I have 2 concerns;

1. Are winter tire strong enough for trails? If you compare same "P" Rated like Falken Wildpeak AT3W P rated vs a Winter tire. I think C/D/E is out of the question for sure.

2. Winter tires are to be used 45F or below right? Atleast in CO I often see temps over 45F during winter. Not sure this will reduce the life / purpose of winter tire.

Just asked if that helps anyone. No money to have multiple sets of tires & wheels..:p

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jan 24, 2022 at 10:41 AM
    afret

afret 2022 ORP, KDSS, Toyo AT3

Member:
    North Idaho
    I'm in N ID and run Blizzaks from Oct to late March and I'm on season #4 with this set of tires and they are wearing well. I don't think having the temperature about 45* from time to time makes any difference. The rubber compound is too soft for off roading I think unless the trails are mostly snow and ice covered. I have about 8-10 miles of icy roads to negotiate round trip to get to the highway from my place. I don't think I could make it with non winter tires. It gets really slippery when it rains and there is water on top of the ice but I just drive slowly and the Blizzaks on my Subaru do OK. I wear cleats to walk on this stuff since it's pretty painful to fall on this hard stuff.

Here's a photo of the road and another of the ice that I broke up that shows it's not just packed powder:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Jan 24, 2022 at 10:43 AM
    xyzzy

xyzzy New Member

Member:
    At the lake
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barc. Red TRD ORP
    Snow tires are for ~45*F and below and excel on snow and ice compared to non-snow tires.
    While you can run snow tires all year round, don't.
    Get a second set of wheels and put your summer ATs or MTs on it and swap them right around the 45*F sustained weather in your area.

Thatbassguy and DogoPilot[OP] like this.
  10. Jan 24, 2022 at 10:47 AM
    banjos-n-beer

banjos-n-beer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro
    The softer compound used in winter tires will wear much faster in warmer weather. But I don't know anyone that moderates their winter use based on ambient air temperature.

Thatbassguy and DogoPilot[OP] like this.
  11. Jan 24, 2022 at 11:04 AM
    xyzzy

xyzzy New Member

Member:
    At the lake
    Vehicle:
    2019 Barc. Red TRD ORP
    If you knew me, then you would. :grin:
    Google "when to switch to winter tires" and you may find that it's a general rule of thumb.

12. Jan 24, 2022 at 11:11 AM
    banjos-n-beer

banjos-n-beer New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2018 Pro
    I've had winter tires most of my life. What I meant was I'm certainly not going to avoid driving on a nice warm 60*F spring day just because I still have my winter tires on. Maine allows for studded tires 6 months out of the year. (Studs on Nov 1st, off by May 1st.) That's basically the calendar timeframe I follow.

kmeeg likes this.
  13. Jan 24, 2022 at 11:31 AM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    I think @afret nailed it.

An occasional warm day shouldn't be detrimental.

I have never thought about snow tires and trail use. They would probably rule for snow covered trails, but not hold up well in rocks. I'm just guessing here, though.

14. Jan 24, 2022 at 1:07 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    Wow, sounds “exciting” to say the least. Im surprised the stability control didnt kick in more aggressively. I always feel mine kick in pretty quickly around slick corners. But I suppose I havent seen how it does with faster sweeping turns.

If you dont have the cash and space for two sets of tires, Id skip the snow tires and just get a good snowflake/three peak rated tires, and drive within those limits.

i have BF KO2. Decent all around, but not good with standing water/hydroplaning

Thatbassguy and TXKK626 like this.
  15. Jan 24, 2022 at 1:15 PM
    DogoPilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black ORP w/KDSS
    Thanks all for the replies! I think I will be getting new tires and I'll also plan to utilize 4Hi a bit more liberally, at least while getting onto the highway. Thinking about the Falken Wildpeaks and then probably plan on buying snow tires for the extra wheels next winter.

That's the interesting part, I was going straight when it happened. I just reached the top of the hill and was continuing to accelerate in preparation to merge when it broke loose. The stability control kicked in and I'm certain it helped, but I think traction broke so abruptly at a relatively high speed that it didn't really help until after I had already overcorrected once.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  16. Jan 24, 2022 at 3:05 PM
    glwood54

glwood54 Stop making me buy stuff!

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    2019 OR, KDSS, RSG sliders, Eibach shocks, 265/70 Falken Wildpeaks
    It's curious that you used the phrase "death wobble", which only occurs in front solid axle 4WD vehicles, mostly Jeeps, and has nothing to do with the rear of the vehicle, other than it having to follow the out-of-control front end, as it scares the crap out of the driver.

I'd venture to say that what you described as death wobble most likely was the traction control system trying to take control of a vehicle going out of control.

17. Jan 24, 2022 at 3:45 PM
    WarTurtle357

WarTurtle357 You're killing me, Smalls.

Member:
    Land of 10,000 Potholes
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM ORP
    Black ice?

Driving this morning, I started sliding out of my lane on Hwy 36 around a curve... Left the 4Runner (stock Dunlop's) at home and took the AWD Tucson.

18. Jan 24, 2022 at 3:45 PM
    DogoPilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black ORP w/KDSS
    I grew up biking and skateboarding so it's probably not the technically correct terminology, but that's how we've always described what occurs when you overcorrect back and forth, and almost (or actually do) lose control.

jasonmcelroy and Thatbassguy like this.
  19. Jan 24, 2022 at 3:51 PM
    DogoPilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black ORP w/KDSS
    Definitely could have been but the roads were generally pretty good yesterday.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  20. Jan 24, 2022 at 3:54 PM
    WarTurtle357

WarTurtle357 You're killing me, Smalls.

Member:
    Land of 10,000 Potholes
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM ORP
    Ahhh. Didn't leave the house yesterday. Also not looking forward leaving the house tomorrow or Wednesday morning. Supposed to be negative teens again.

21. Jan 24, 2022 at 3:57 PM
    TrailGuy2016

TrailGuy2016 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium, Silver
    Raptor lights, TRD front grille, RCI Metalworks skid plates
    I've been "made fun of" around here for having the same problem. New quality tires fixed the spins. Do it!
    And put it in 4WD when it's dicey outside. Then there's no issue.

22. Jan 24, 2022 at 4:02 PM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    When the snow starts to go away it might be the time to jump on the snow tires at a discount.

23. Jan 24, 2022 at 6:42 PM
    307WY

307WY New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kade
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 4x4 Nautical Blue
    Check out BFG Trail Terrains. It’s a new tire (came out last fall) that is 3pms rated and a good mix of an all terrain and highway tire. I got a set for my 21 SR5 about 6 weeks ago they have been fantastic in Wyoming on snow, ice, dirt, and tarmac.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  24. Jan 24, 2022 at 6:49 PM
    DogoPilot

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St. Paul, MN
    Vehicle:
    2022 Black ORP w/KDSS
    Thanks for the heads-up! I saw those but I couldn't find much about them so I didn't really consider them.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  25. Jan 25, 2022 at 10:25 AM
    Joekader

Joekader New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Michelin LTX or Falken wildpeaks period

DogoPilot[OP] likes this.
  26. Jan 25, 2022 at 5:52 PM
    IMLGND

IMLGND New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Army Green 4Runner TRD ORP
    With all the recent snow we have had in southern WI I haven't had any problems with the OEM Dunlop AT2s. There have been slippery instances while in 2wd, but the conditions were ice or very compacted snow. In 4wd the Dunlops have done pretty good overall in fresh and day old snow and traction has been steady at 45-55 MPH in the backcountry roads. I have lived in WI most of my life and have driven rear wheel drive (76 Olds Cutlass Supr and 84 Olds Delta 88) in the winter early in my driving experience (high school), so driving a truck is no problem.

I have thought about getting back up high user rated AT tires as an upgrade but haven't decided on which one to get yet.

I believe that knowing your equipment's limitations and understanding the road conditions leads to successfully getting to where you need to go safely and timely, no matter what tire you have installed.

27. Jan 25, 2022 at 6:00 PM
    Thatbassguy

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    Welcome to the forum from your neighbor! :wave:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
  28. Jan 25, 2022 at 8:45 PM
    mac1usa

mac1usa New Member

Member:
    Not to high Jack this thread but what would you guys suggest for a 21 ORP that will be mostly highway use. I will be towing a boat and on wet boat ramps this summer. After reading this I am slightly concerned not having towed my boat yet.

I just don’t want to have anything really loud but still looks sharp. This is only driven in summer/fall. If you want to PM me that’s fine again no intentions to high Jack thread.

29. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:00 AM
    Tradbow

Tradbow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    NW
    Vehicle:
    2023 MGM SR5
    The day I bought my 4Runner, I drove straight to my local tire shop and sold them the tires that came on the vehicle, and had them put on a set of AT 3 peak mountain snowflake rated tires and they have been outstanding. As has been already mentioned use 4hi when needed. Where I live, Western Oregon, it is hard to justify summer and winter tires.

30. Jan 26, 2022 at 7:55 AM
    TXKK626

TXKK626 New Member

Member:
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Vehicle:
    2021 Venture Edition
    Something was bugging me about this post. It dawned on me today that my OEMs were actually Bridgestone Dueler HT. Dunlop vs. Dueler. Oops.

Except for the brand, I stand by everything I said though!

Attached Files:

Products Discussed in

To Top