1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alignment Issues...UCA???

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by Acruz541, Nov 29, 2022.

1. Nov 29, 2022 at 8:43 AM
    Acruz541

Acruz541 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Cen Cal
    Vehicle:
    19 4Runner TRD Off Road
    Eibach Pro Stage 2 Lift 20% Tint, Canvasback Cover
    I installed my Eibach Pro Stage 2 (to make the truck level) a few months ago and had it aligned already twice! It appears to keep pulling to the left.

The UCA are stock as well as the wheels. It has 265 KO2s. On the inspection sheet the tread is wearing evenly and the tires are all properly inflated. There is no sign of uneven wear on the tires yet but I would like to correct the pulling before it does start to cause uneven wear.

I have been reading on other posts that the caster might be off and this could be due to the stock UCA. I was going to install the SPC UCA from the start but was advised I would be fine with leveling through the Eibach kit and stock UCA. But now it appears that I might have to get them afterall.

Here is a picture of the alignment specs. The caster is no where near the "+4" which I have been seeing.

So is this only fixed by the aftermarket UCA or can this be fixed on the stock UCA?

Also can someone give me some insight on the "thrust angle", looks to be off but doesn't specify a range to be in spec.

TIA

align.jpg

2. Nov 29, 2022 at 9:17 AM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    Just FYI, I previously had a 3” front / 2” rear lift with stock UCA’s and dealership was able to do an alignment with no issues. I don’t have the alignment sheet but it drove fine.

3. Nov 29, 2022 at 9:17 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside A Guy A Girl and A Trail

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Built 2011 T4R Limited
    It looks like they didn’t actually align it.

It’s likely the toe was so far out it was affecting the camber reading. There no way they adjusted the lower control arms cams and the caster stayed dead nuts exactly where it was it. Either they didn’t adjust it, or they didn’t do a caster sweep after to see how it was actually effected, either way they didn’t do their job.

Thrust angle is a hugely important angle, it’s basically a measurement of how square the rear axle is to the vehicle. If the rear axle isn’t straight it wants to push the rear out to one side or the other while moving. I did Dobinsons adjustable rear control arms, adjusting the lower arms was able to get the thrust angle to damn near zero, which is ideal.

2Toys and Toy4X4 like this.
  4. Nov 29, 2022 at 9:24 AM
    Acruz541

Acruz541 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Cen Cal
    Vehicle:
    19 4Runner TRD Off Road

Is the caster adjustment something I have to specifically ask for or is this something they should be doing at all alignments? (Sorry, this is new to me).

And for the thrust angle, adjustable rear control arms? Can this be done with the KDSS? (KDSS is also new to me) Is the aftermarket lift springs the cause of the thrust angle to be off now? Obviously before the lift there was no pulling etc..

5. Nov 29, 2022 at 9:31 AM
    totmacher

totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Nautical Blue
    done some stuff to it
    Doing more than just setting toe is new to some techs too. It's sad.
    Had a shop once tell me caster and camber weren't adjustable on Toyotas. :facepalm:

We shouldn't have to ask for caster but we do just because people don't know their jobs.

Generally you want no more than about 0.5 difference between left/right sides for caster value. It's what causes pulling.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  6. Nov 29, 2022 at 9:35 AM
    Acruz541

Acruz541 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Cen Cal
    Vehicle:
    19 4Runner TRD Off Road
    Great! (#$*&#%$!!!) I guess it also didn't help that I took it in to get aligned the day after thanksgiving when everyone was there to get their "discounted tires".

Guess I will have to call them and see what their willing and able to do to correct the caster. If not I will have to take it elsewhere where someone will be willing to at least attempt to correct it.

7. Nov 29, 2022 at 10:35 AM
    sympley76

sympley76 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4Runner Limited
    Had a alignment does few days ago since car was pulling to the right. Front was off and they were able to bring it into the correct range. Rear is off and they said there is no adjustment on rear so I am still out in the back. What are my options here? How can I get rear into the correct range? Stealership time?

8. Nov 29, 2022 at 10:55 AM
    LunarRock07

LunarRock07 New Member

Member:
    My experience is that the stock UCAs are unable to get to the 4deg of caster. Once I changed the UCAs the shop was able to dial in to 4deg and 3.8. Steering is much more precise. As a side note, I am VERY particular (aka PITA) about straight steering wheel and near perfect tracking so I am sure I am reaching for something that may not be possible. My current alignment took the shop foreman about 3 hours to complete. He walked me back multiple times to show how sensitive it is to adjust caster/camber and how they play off eachother on our 4runners. Addtionally, the folks at JBA were instrumental in teaching me alot. I work on my own vehicles, but have never been well versed on suspension and alignment. In any case, I was unable to get a quality alignment until I changed control arms.

Toy4X4 and 4runGirl88 like this.
  9. Nov 29, 2022 at 12:47 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    As you increase your lift height, it will be harder and harder to get higher caster numbers with stock UCA's.

My caster is maxed out at +3.6* with a 1.6" lift. If you are lifted to 2.5", you may struggle to get +2.5* of caster with stock UCA's (for example).

+4* of caster is not a requirement, but it is a good setting if you are at stock height or have aftermarket UCA's with your lift and are able to get there. But you might feel the drivability is fine at +3.0* if the alignment tech is able to get that with your set-up.

What's your front lift height?

Toy4X4 likes this.
  10. Nov 29, 2022 at 12:55 PM
    Acruz541

Acruz541 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Cen Cal
    Vehicle:
    19 4Runner TRD Off Road
    I adjust anything from the package, so in the front should 2.75” and 1” in the rear.

I guess right at this moment I would be “ok” with being even somewhat close on the caster. Right now .9 to 2.2 seems way too off to me.

I’m sitting at the shop typing this. The manager looked at my alignment sheet and literally said “You’re caster is all jacked up”.

They’re going to take a look at it and see if they can do anything with the stock UCA. He told me if they caster is maxed out already with the lift that there won’t be much that can be done.

Guess it’s time to order the SPCs

Will update on the results…..

11. Nov 29, 2022 at 1:11 PM
    nimby

nimby in the drink

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    California
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5P
    If they can get the caster to around 2.2 (or something close) at least you'll have the opportunity to drive it properly aligned and know that's as good as it's going to be with stock UCA's. If it's not good enough for you at 2.2, then you'll know it's time for aftermarket UCAs.

Toy4X4 and SlvrSlug like this.
  12. Nov 29, 2022 at 1:46 PM
    totmacher

totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Nautical Blue
    done some stuff to it
    It's more about getting driving feel you like than exact numbers. Predictable handling.

As a point of comparison, i dont even know my caster numbers. It tracks straight, handles the way i like, and tire wear looks normal after 30k miles. I DIY my alignment.

Rear axle is often off center slightly after a rear lift. Most people don't even notice or care on their own 4Runners about this. Not worth cost of adjustable track bar to me as long as it launches and stops straight.

Edit. FYI
    Caster too low will make it feel like it is wandering on the road needing constant small corrections to stay in your lane. High caster makes it follow grooves and/or the steering will feel "heavier".
    Having about 0.5 difference side to side in caster accounts for side slope of the road (aka "crown") to keep you tracking straight. If you have equal caster, truck will typically pull toward downhill side which is usually the ditch.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    Toy4X4 likes this.
  13. Nov 29, 2022 at 5:09 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    I installed a 2.5 in lift with stock UCAs, but it came out closer to three inches when I measured after install. After alignment my camber was just short of the factory spec (2.2 to 2.3 iirc). Both sides were even, and it tracks true. However, the it’s a bit more lively than before as it needs a bit more corrections. I dont mind how it feels (actually I enjoy it).

They should be able to get both sides even on caster with your stock UCAs. I cant think of any reason they couldnt.

After things are all evened out, you can figure out if UCAs are necessary, if you want a more planted feeling.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  14. Nov 30, 2022 at 3:14 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    With the numbers you provided , it may be more of a shop issue than UCA issue. Just my 2 pennies worth. Even with stock control arms you should be able to get closer to the 3 side on caster. Been there.

15. Nov 30, 2022 at 4:40 PM
    Acruz541

Acruz541 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Cen Cal
    Vehicle:
    19 4Runner TRD Off Road
    UPDATE: So after my trip to the shop again yesterday they were able to adjust my caster on the alignment. They were able to get the driver side to 1.7 and the passenger side on 2.1. This isn't perfect and still is very slightly pulling to the left. The shop manager told me that it is more difficult to get the perfect alignment on stock UCA after lift. OH and also after this alignment the truck was returned to me with a "VSC" light?? The light on the dash that look like traction control.

Today I spent my day calling a few dealerships(since the shop said it wouldn't be able to calibrate it) to figure out one that could do a "ZPC" (zero point calibration). Half of them had no clue what I was talking about and the other said to bring it in for a "diagnostic".

I decided to look for the ZPC procedure on here and was able to find a write up and a video on Youtube. Had my bud at work come help me tap some paperclips together(literally) and got the code cleared LOL.

What a mess.....With all this I think its going to be better to just go and get the aftermarket UCA to make things easier for future alignments. Will update with a picture of the new alignment sheet for anyone interested.

16. Nov 30, 2022 at 5:26 PM
    Dillusion

Dillusion New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    KYle
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR
    This is why when people ask I would tell um buy once cry once.

Never know if the UCA's are needed or not until after so why chance it.

At least they are fairly easy to replace.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  17. Nov 30, 2022 at 5:34 PM
    Acruz541

Acruz541 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Cen Cal
    Vehicle:
    19 4Runner TRD Off Road
    I’m not going to cry about it. It’s a learning experience. I was going to get them from the day I purchased my lift but I was told that as long as I stayed under 3” I would be fine on stocks. Guess that is not the case if you want to drive straight LOL.

And yea even a newbie like me seems like a straight forward job. Get to spend some time with my pops turning some wrenches. :drunk:

Toy4X4 likes this.
  18. Nov 30, 2022 at 5:56 PM
    totmacher

totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 Nautical Blue
    done some stuff to it
    I'd bet they could still get rid of the pull by reducing passenger caster just a hair without sacrificing camber much but they and you both are likely tired of messing with it for a bit.

19. Nov 30, 2022 at 7:02 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
    I’ve made a few purchases in my life that weren’t the best, but I never cried about it. Not sure where that saying originated?

Must be a 4Runner forum thing.

20. Nov 30, 2022 at 7:22 PM
    TrueTexas

TrueTexas New Member

Member:
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Grey 4Runner TRD ORP
    You actually want the passenger side caster to be slightly higher than the Drivers side to account for the crown in the road. Pulling to the left is much more likely related to toe than the difference in caster. 0.4 difference is about where you typically want to be.

@Acruz541 What are the rest of the numbers after the new alignment (toe and camber)?

It took UCAs to get me into the high 3s after a 2/2 lift. I used Ironman UCAs for the rubber bushings. No complaints and I am very satisfied with them. However get whichever ones you want - jba, spc etc... it is money well spent after a lift. Just did 100 miles on the highway this evening and rode smooth as butter with no wandering.

21. Dec 1, 2022 at 6:59 AM
    Acruz541

Acruz541 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Cen Cal
    Vehicle:
    19 4Runner TRD Off Road
    Corrected Caster Align.jpg

Updated Alignment Sheet:

Here is the updated specs for the truck. As I mentioned it is not perfect, but it drives fairly straight now. But I do believe at this point I rather upgrade the UCA and make it easier to get aligned.

@TrueTexas what lift do you have? I have the Eibach Pro Stage 2 and thinking of pairing it with SPC. I know its mostly a preference thing but I always like to the peoples choice.

*dont know why the picture is sideways.

22. Dec 1, 2022 at 7:08 AM
    TrueTexas

TrueTexas New Member

Member:
    The Woodlands, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 Magnetic Grey 4Runner TRD ORP
    You will most certainly benefit from the UCAs. Not just in the numbers but driveability will improve. Looking at your caster, it probably feels like you are on ice skates.

My lift is Bilstein 5100s all around. Fronts are set at 1.85" with a .25 spacer on the Drivers side. The rear adds bilstein 1" springs and a 10mm spacer on the Drivers side. The spacers correct the lean.

The Ironman UCAs gave me approx 2 degrees additional caster.

23. Nov 27, 2023 at 6:51 AM
    AndyNumnums

AndyNumnums New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner

24. Nov 27, 2023 at 2:11 PM
    Rob41

Rob41 Veteran

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Northern Michigan
    Vehicle:
    2023 Supercharged 4Runner TRD
    Magnuson Supercharger, CSF Performance Radiator, Eibach Pro-Truck Series 2R suspension, SCS Ray10 Bronze Wheels, Pedal Monster, TRD Pro Grill, TRD Pro Roof Rack
    Rather than the SPC UCA's, I'd recommend Dobinson's with 3 degrees of caster correction built in. Literally any allignment shop will have zero issues with these, they are rebuildable and function very well. I get no pull regardless of crown with mine.

raimieb likes this.
  25. Nov 27, 2023 at 3:09 PM
    raimieb

raimieb Hobby Mechanic - Love Our 4Runner!

Member:
    First Name:
    raimie
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP 4x4
    Lots…
    Ditto. You get what you pay for. Dobs are awesome.

Rob41[QUOTED] likes this.
  26. Nov 27, 2023 at 3:22 PM
    AndyNumnums

AndyNumnums New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner

Pardon my lack of knowledge but would I be able to fix my rear toe and thrust angle as seen in this alignment printout with them?

27. Nov 27, 2023 at 3:59 PM
    raimieb

Member:
    First Name:
    raimie
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP 4x4
    Lots…
    Would think so. You’re fine brother. I’ve got the dobs with 2.5” of lift and it’s spot on on all alignment measurements. Could also be the tech aligning.

Rob41 likes this.
  28. Nov 27, 2023 at 4:00 PM
    AndyNumnums

AndyNumnums New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner
    I think I'm gonna try another alignment place before I do any of this. I got this done on a Friday near closing and maybe the guy wanted to get outta there. Thanks for the reply. Appreciate you.

raimieb[QUOTED] likes this.
  29. Nov 27, 2023 at 5:49 PM
    raimieb

Member:
    First Name:
    raimie
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP 4x4
    Lots…
    That’s a solid idea. It can take time to align well. Usually a dedicated 4x4 shop will align well. Let us know and hope it goes smoothly! ;)

30. Nov 27, 2023 at 5:55 PM
    AndyNumnums

AndyNumnums New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner
    Thank you! I am waiting on an appointment this week with another shop. Fingers crossed.

Products Discussed in

To Top