1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Agent_Outside: Adventures in a 4Runner Limited

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010+)' started by Agent_Outside, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Jan 12, 2021 at 11:53 AM
    Agent_Outside

Agent_Outside [OP] New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 T4R Limited

The body is bolted to the frame via big rubber bushings that absorb harshness, in turn the body flex’s in relation to the frame. With a steel bumper mounted to the frame you NEED to have about 1/2” gap to allow for flex or you’d tear up the body and crack the taillights when they impact the bumper during flex. It’s not the most aesthetically pleasing thing in the word but it’s absolutely necessary. It does tend to stand out more on lighter colored vehicle where you clearly see the body inside, dark colors hide it better.

2. Jan 18, 2021 at 6:52 AM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 T4R Limited
    Got back to work on the bumper yesterday. We pulled it back off, prepped and painted and the body, got the rear foglight housing mounted, the reverse light housing mounted, the tailgate and swing arm swapped over get everything setup and adjusted. It looks so much better with the body painted black in the gaps.

Today I’m going to start on the electrical. I’ve decided the cleanest simplest way to power the reverse light and the license plate light is to tie into the wiring for the tow hitch trailer plug. This way I don't have to route wires out of the body so theres no potential for water leaks running wiring into the vehicle. Unfortunately the plate light that came with the bumper is a cheap little $8 POS that doesn’t even appear to be waterproof, I ordered a replacement but it won’t be here until later in the week. I’ve decided I’m going to control the rear foglight via the factory fog light switch since it currently doesn’t do anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jan 18, 2021 at 8:32 AM
    OpBalance

OpBalance New Member

Member:
    Looks great!

Agent_Outside [OP] likes this.
  4. Jan 18, 2021 at 11:18 AM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 T4R Limited
  5. Jan 18, 2021 at 6:33 PM
    wmdtech

wmdtech Send MOD Money!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Mid TN
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD ORP
    275/70r17 KO2 Eibach Stage 1 JBA UCAs
    Was it worth the wait? I’d say so, looks killer

6. Jan 19, 2021 at 11:43 AM
    Agent_Outside

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2011 T4R Limited
    To be determined. For starters they didn’t follow though on issuing a partial refund for all the trouble, instead they said just keep the old bumper frame and sell it.

The product itself is awesome, the design and the build quality are top notch but some of the details fall short. For example the “bolt on” tow hitch can’t actually be bolted on. They included bolts with washers and nuts but the nuts aren’t necessary because all of the bolts for the hitch tie into the frame.... but all the included bolts are to short to use with the bolt on hitch. it’s like the didn’t realize the bolt on hitch still ties into the frame in all the places the stock hitch did. Some of the wiring and extras have been updated but the directions clearly don’t reflect that. I had to grind the tip of the bracket that the swing arm striker attaches to, with the weight of the spare it understandably sags just a hair, that’s why it’s adjustable, but with the pin adjusted the top corner of the bracket hit the swing arm instead clearing it and tucking inside. I had to grand just a hair off. The swing arm is an optional upgrade, because of that they don’t have a hole for the wiring to go through the bumper to the swing arm. I’d like a hole drilled before powder coat, not after. The license plate light that was included is a POS, it doesn’t even look like it’s waterproof, it’s $8 on Amazon. My biggest complaint is that you can’t actually use factory lugs for the spare. The plate the wheel studs are mounted in is to thin so the lug bottoms out before it even makes contact with the wheel. I had to grind about 3-4 mm off the end of the lugs so they could actually get tight against the wheel. I haven’t tackled the rear view camera relocation yet but their instructions certainly don’t include that you will have a big 3/4” x 3/4” where the camera is and you will need to find a way to seal it. Same thing with the old bumper brackets, you take them off but then it leaves holes in the body for water to get in. No plugs or anything included, hell there’s not even a mention that you should find a way to plug the holes.

I’m lucky in the sense that I can take care of all this stuff and come up with solutions on my own, but for the price and a 10.5 month wait, I don’t feel like I should need to do any of that, let alone spend any money to make it happen.

Kritsana21 and wmdtech like this.
  7. Jan 19, 2021 at 3:17 PM
    wmdtech

wmdtech Send MOD Money!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Mid TN
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD ORP
    275/70r17 KO2 Eibach Stage 1 JBA UCAs
    Damn, agree with you. I figured all of that would have been spelled out in the install instructions.

Products Discussed in

To Top