1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Advice on UCAs

Discussion in '5th Gen 4Runners (2010-2024)' started by 6foot4_Mike, Jun 28, 2022.

1. Jun 28, 2022 at 9:11 AM
    6foot4_Mike

6foot4_Mike [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 Off Road
    Got a 3inch lift coming in from Ironman 4x4. Should I stick with the same brand for the upper control arms, or does it matter? I like theirs, but I prefer the look of the Bilsteins. My 4R spends most of its time as a daily driver. Thank you in advance.

2. Jun 28, 2022 at 9:14 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    Any upper control arm should pretty much be compatible with any lift, unless you're going to long travel or something like that.

One thing to consider is to avoid a uni-ball type upper control arm if you drive your vehicle year-round and live in an area where they salt the roads in the winter.

captrussia253 and Toy4X4 like this.
  3. Jun 28, 2022 at 9:22 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Staff Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    This. :thumbsup:
    As @Thatbassguy indicated pretty much any UCA should work. Shameless plug, but if that's the route you decide to go we can get you the Bilstein ones or another recommendation would be SPC which we stock here at Hotshot Offroad.

Thatbassguy[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Jun 28, 2022 at 9:30 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Bilsteins has UCA?

If I'm not mistaken Ironman allow to use stock UCA. They only force you to buy their track bar and KDSS spacer blocks if you have KDSS (stock panhard bar would hit KDSS brackes when KDSS 4Runners lifted). I would keep stock UCA if it clear the tires and springs at full droop. I'm a big fan of SPC UCAs when it comes to alignment.

upload_2022-6-28_10-29-49.jpg

Thatbassguy likes this.
  5. Jun 28, 2022 at 10:09 AM
    whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2019 4Runner TRD Offroad Premium
    I went with SPC for my Kings. The reason is I want the adjustability for a proper alignment.

Mtbpsych, Toy4X4, 2Toys and 2 others like this.
  6. Jun 28, 2022 at 10:23 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I think proper alingment, re-greasable nossle, trouble free balljoint part availability are advantages imo.

Cons - Toyota dealership has no jacksh** idea about these adjustable UCA when it comes to alignment when my car got the accident. I guess only good 4x4 shops should touch these.

Toy4X4, Thatbassguy and travelinscout like this.
  7. Jun 28, 2022 at 10:24 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Ha I literally walk in with the tech sheet from SPC and requested specs when I have to toss the truck up on a rack.

Toy4X4, kmeeg[QUOTED] and Thatbassguy like this.
  8. Jun 28, 2022 at 10:33 AM
    Thatbassguy

Thatbassguy New member? Really??

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    S/E Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRDORP, KDSS, MGM
    RSG sliders, Yakima offgrid basket, Pro-Comp wheels, SOS Streamline bumper and skids, Warn VR EVO10S winch + Ultimate Sidewinder, Bilstein 6112 + 5100 + rear lift coils, Rigid Dually SS ditch lights w/Caliraised brackets and OEM style dash switch
    That's probably the best idea.

After my lift, I had one shop ask me for alignment specs. I said to get it into factory specs, and they did a shitty job. There was no symmetry, each side had different results.

Finally, I took it to a good shop, and they got both sides perfect. To be fair, I told them exactly what I wanted.

Toy4X4, 2Toys and kmeeg like this.
  9. Jun 28, 2022 at 10:43 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    I literally walk in and hand them the SPC sheet of paper. On it I have written:
    Camber: +.2 Degrees Per Side.
    Caster: +2.2 - +2.5 Degrees Per Side.
    Toe: +.07 - +.10 Degrees Per Side, Do not exceed +.20 Combined

This is on a Tundra with different tie rod ends as well. I have the Firestone lifetime alignment so it's kind of nice to go out, knock something out of place, and just drive it up to get fixed whenever. That said, I don't often have my SPCs come out of alignment anymore. After I started torqueing the ball joint nut to ~170 ft-lb instead of the 150 I don't get movement hardly at all anymore.

10. Jun 28, 2022 at 10:54 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question.

Alignment shop needs to know to adjust that nut with the plate on SPC right? Not only the bolts they usually adjust?

Sorry, have no idea about numbers.

11. Jun 28, 2022 at 11:00 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    There's 2 primary pieces to the puzzle on the SPC arms. You have the little "star" plate that goes between the ball joint and the underside of the UCA. This dictates your caster. In most people's scenario this is set to Option "D" which is +1deg of additional caster and you don't have to futz with it again. This is the part where a local shop might find themselves scratching their heads though, and where furnishing the sheet can be helpful.

The other piece is the top nut. After loosening you can slide the ball joint around in the slot cut into the UCA. This is your camber adjustment.

Thatbassguy, 2Toys and kmeeg[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Jun 30, 2022 at 1:38 PM
    matoolie

matoolie Taking it a day at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Pro
    With the 3” lift you should definitely consider new UCA’s as you are. As stated above, stick with one’s that use OEM type ball joint for basically no maintenance and also use OEM Type rubber bushings at mounts for no maintenance. The adjustable ones can be little difficult to get aligned as being discussed above. Tthere are many UCA’s out there that have fixed caster that will work just fine. I have both Dobinsons and OME UCA’s on my rigs and no complaints from either.

Thatbassguy likes this.
  13. Jun 30, 2022 at 4:00 PM
    Altitude4x4

Altitude4x4 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo Blue TRD Pro
    SPC has the most adjustability out of the aftermarket UCA's, that being said pick a product that fits your needs. To echo @Thatbassguy , stay away from anything uniball, they require a lot of maintenance and squeak constantly.

Thatbassguy and 2Toys like this.
  14. Jun 30, 2022 at 5:01 PM
    DIRTRCR13

DIRTRCR13 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerm
    The 405
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sierra Romeo Cinco
    Fuel Trophy 17x8.5, Nitto TG2's, Roof Rack delete, RC spacer lift and so much more to come...
    Yes Bilstein makes UCA's. Tubular chromo with OEM style ball joint. Just like OME and Dobison's. But they use polyurethane in the swing joints vice rubber.

Also, Ironman doesnt "force" you to buy any parts. They just put those packages together (the ones you screen shot) to make it easier than going thru and selecting each piece. Hense the Stage 1 is only shocks and springs...

Thatbassguy and kmeeg[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Jun 30, 2022 at 6:00 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    and track bar and KDSS spacer blocks for KDSS. Yes you can buy Non KDSS stage 1 even if you have KDSS. I didn't meant to say company force you. I mean if you select stage 1 for KDSS those additional items will come with the kit. Correct? Or is there a stage 1 kit for KDSS with just shocks and springs? I didn't see on their lift kits. Having those items is a good thing imo as new KDSS owners won't know about this problem when lifting.

16. Jun 30, 2022 at 7:02 PM
    wmdtech

wmdtech Send MOD Money!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Mid TN
    Vehicle:
    18 TRD ORP
    275/70r17 KO2 Eibach Stage 1 JBA UCAs
    JBA?? Haven't had any issues out mine

Toy4X4 likes this.
  17. Jun 30, 2022 at 7:54 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    SPC is what I put on mine. I got the Old man too in it.

18. Jun 30, 2022 at 8:05 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    OME BP-51? I've heard they can be the softest you can dial in. How do you like it? Did the shop recommended SPC over OME UCA? I too look at BP-51 when I was looking for my Limited. Little expensive $3200ish without UCA. So almost 4K with UCA. I bet you are extremely happy when it comes to comfort?

19. Jun 30, 2022 at 8:12 PM
    ChessGuy

ChessGuy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LR
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro / 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Too many..... Performance: • Magnusum Supercharger • Gibson exhaust with dual black tip • Pedal Commander * PowerBrakes • Suspension – Old Man Emu BP-51 front and back with Medium load coils • Tires: AT3 Faulken Wildpeak – 285/70/17 • Wheels: Relations Race Wheels, RR7-H with -12 offset • Full roof rack and ladder by Westcott Design (removed the stock Yakima basket) • Molle storage panels by Rago fabrication • Front light brackets by Rago • Illuminator light bracket by Rago (roof rack location) Lights • Morimoto front and back with sequential signals • Morimoto fog lights and side mirrors with sequential signals • 40” Baja design light bar for roof rack • 20” S8 Baja design driving combo (winch location) • Squadron sport baja design ditch lights • S2 Chase lights by baja designs (mounted on roof) In the bay: • Odyssey 34-PC Battery • SDQH Aluminum billet battery terminals and bracket • Switch Pro 9100 with aluminum tray • Anytime front and back camera • ARB twin compressor Recovery & Protection: • Smittybilt X20 synthetic rope winch • Factor 55 fairlead and flatlink • Southern Style Off-road (SSO) low profile bumper • SSO stage 2 high clearance wings • Weekend warrior recovery kit by treaty oak • RCI – skid plates – entire vehicle + catalytic converter protection wings Interior: • Nano Ceramic IR – Avery Dennison Window tint – all windows • Several phone mounts • Upgraded Rear Hatch lift gate struts (ladder is heavy) • Boom blaster horn switch (featuring La cucaracha)
    Yes. The shop and the experts help me go with the SPC. Big difference too using the old man BP51. I like it.

image000005.jpg

Thatbassguy, 2Toys and kmeeg[QUOTED] like this.
  20. Jun 30, 2022 at 9:30 PM
    Slopemaster

Slopemaster Slope Survivalist

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    265-70-17 Ridge Grapplers, TRD Pro rims, 3M precut bra, N-Fab nerf/steps
  21. Jun 30, 2022 at 9:52 PM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
  22. Jul 1, 2022 at 2:39 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    We went with the JBA's, they have an amount of additional caster "built" into them. I had to tell the alignment shop of modified specs., they are at about 4.0 caster, the toe in and camber are to factory specs. This might have a bit of bump steer at factory toe in and camber, but only at full movement one way or the other, which doesn't happen much. Tires cost too much now to be wearing them out prematurely!20201222_095113[703]JBA UCA.jpg

2Toys and ted4311 like this.
  23. Jul 1, 2022 at 3:14 AM
    GrantA

GrantA Enjoying God’s creation

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Fully locked 2020 SR5 Premium
    - GOBI roof rack and ladder - Westcott Design Rock sliders - M.O.R.E. Underbody Skid plates - Dual ARB air compressor & ARB single compressor - LED interior lighting - Ironman 2.0 meter awning and enclosure - Ironman winch with factor55 hook - Ironman foam cell pro suspension - Ironman recovery snatch rope - Ironman recovery traction boards - lilbscustomfab Hybrid Front Bumper - lilbscustomfab BMC - RRW RR7-H Hybrid Beadlock wheels - Nitto Trail Grapplers 285/75/17 M/T - 4.88 gears - ARB front air locker - ARB rear air locker - Hi-lift jack & mount - Sony aftermarket speakers - LASFIT External LED Light Conversion - Center console organizer - Glovebox organizer - ICS phone Mount holder - C4 rear bumper with dual swing arms - C4 gas skid plate - C4 rear diff skid plates
    I have the Ironman UCA. I figured if I am getting new UCA might as well get the one that Ironman designed and I like that it uses factory joints in the event of a failure I don’t have to get any special part. Dealerships/part stores would hopefully just have them.

Toy4X4 likes this.
  24. Jul 1, 2022 at 4:12 AM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
  25. Jul 1, 2022 at 6:10 AM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    I thought SPC is the best for alignment. And UCA won't use the full range of the ball joint, so its not a criticalfactor. Did i understood that wrong?

26. Jul 1, 2022 at 3:09 PM
    Slopemaster

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    Yes, I’m meh on the whole lift thing. I watched his part 1 & 2 videos again on IFS lifts and it’s interesting that in most cases you actually reduce suspension articulation from stock when you lift, regardless of lift.

I enjoy the look and the ground clearance of my lift but it seems to come at the price of reduced travel.

Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Jul 1, 2022 at 3:35 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    I watched that video when it first came out, I don't even remember exactly what it was that turned me off about the SPCs. I think maybe it was the angle of the ball joint wasn't any better than stock? I don't remember.

Or it could be that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I'm kind of a dinosaur in that I believe that real off-road vehicles should have solid axles.

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Jul 1, 2022 at 3:38 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Yeah, I think at anything over like 1.75 in of lift is diminishing returns. It makes sense when you think about how IFS works, all you're doing is pushing the A arms down and making the ride height at a different point in its travel.

It's really evident when you watch lifted IFS vehicles off-road, and they lift the front wheels at the slightest little thing, because the lift has used up most of the downtravel.

People crap on bracket lifts, but that's technically the way to do it right and keep all your angles and suspension travel in its stock operating range.

29. Jul 1, 2022 at 3:41 PM
    kmeeg

kmeeg LionRunner

Member:
    AMEN..!!
    Lucky Asia, Australia, (not sure what others) still get solid axle Land cruiser 70 series with TURBO DIESEL V8 manual transmission..!!

Trail Runnah[QUOTED] likes this.
  30. Jul 1, 2022 at 5:00 PM
    Trail Runnah

Trail Runnah New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 T4R Trail Edition
    Stock
    Yeah, they get some great vehicles. I mean we can still buy Jeeps if we want front solid axles at least. Whenever I think about modding my 4Runner for off-road, in the back of my mind. I always think how I could pick up an XJ Cherokee for just what a couple steel bumpers for my 4Runner would cost.

On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily want to drive an XJ hundreds of miles to get to the trails.

kmeeg[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top