1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Adjusting ADS Coilovers?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Thacrow, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Sep 13, 2021 at 2:27 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    Sorry for the nooob question but my ADS coils did not come with spanners like other coilovers have I've worked on.

Couple questions. Is there a specific spanners that works? I ordered several off Amazon and between all those something should work. The ADS website shows what look somewhat like screw drivers for sale so i guess I could always use a punch or something.

Also, I'm used to coilovers with double rings where to lock a height you tighten the rings into eachother. With ADS it looks like there is just one right. How do these lock?

https://imgur.com/a/J4UdMVx

2. Sep 13, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    I had kings that just came with a punch basically. Looks like the same thing that would work, I know icon and toytec uses more of a wrench oriented tool. I might have my punch from king, if I can find it I can free99 it to you just cover shipping if you’re interested.

Thacrow[OP] likes this.
  3. Sep 13, 2021 at 4:07 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    That is incredibly nice of you and thank you for the offer. For now I'm going to use a punch with a small pipe for leverage. And then I've got a couple sets of spanners coming in the mail.

I'm assuming there's an Allen locking screw in the adjustment ring. I can't see the screw on either shock so it looks like it's probably on the inside for both shocks....so looks like I need to remove the shocks to loosen the screws for adjustment, and put the shocks back on. Definitely something to have researched before putting them on. oh well :)

Mtbpsych[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Sep 15, 2021 at 8:12 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    I ended up using a 1/4 socket extension, cut the end off. Worked perfectly. Bent a few punches

Mtbpsych likes this.
  5. Sep 15, 2021 at 8:39 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    These need to be lowered down before going on the truck right? There's just no way to adjust these with everything in the way. People take these off and lower them down right? There's just no way to get a punch in there to adjust it any further down in its current position.

https://i.imgur.com/AoAA9KY.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  6. Sep 23, 2021 at 9:48 PM
    McSpazatron

McSpazatron New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 4runner OR
    Dobinson IMS Warn Bumper CaliRaised Sliders 285/70 K02s
    It’s not the same brand, but Dobinson recommends removing the coilovers, disassembling the spring, cleaning the threads, and adjusting with no load.

i thought i remember hearing of someone adjusting on the truck, but with spanners and extensions. That might mess up the threads if they are gritty.

Thacrow[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  7. Sep 23, 2021 at 9:52 PM
    Mtbpsych

Mtbpsych New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5
    You could possibly get a spanner
    wrench to fit in there but I can’t 100% by the picture. If you have any off-road shops near you try reaching out to them and see what they recommend or if they offer any tools.

Thacrow[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  8. Sep 23, 2021 at 9:59 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    I saw the same thing someone had said on an old group buy for ADS and Kings using the ole Google. I ended up needing to take them off, use a 1/4 socket extension for the spanner wrench, also using a very long 3/8 extension to hold it in place as well as spring compressors. Spring compressors I had to grind down a lot to fit in there as the coil over shock is much larger than a regular shock so there isn't a lot of room between the spring and shock. Bit of a PITA. I'm at 3 inches all around on stock tires, have KO2's in 285/70R17's and waiting on some wheel coming int he mail for those. might lower it a little before putting on new wheels and tires

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  9. Sep 23, 2021 at 10:04 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes
    1/4 extension fits perfect. cut the tip off and used a pipe on it for more leverage in addition to the other steps I took. Also bought a bunch of spanners off Amazon that finally came.

10. Sep 24, 2021 at 5:50 AM
    kbp810

kbp810 rebmem wen

Member:
    I don't think I've ever had a coilover come with a spanner, unless I added it to the order myself. The wrench style doesn't do a lot of good though, too much stuff and the coil bucket in the way. I've always just used a 5/16 punch, and put a bar over it if I need more leverage.

Sucks that you can't get to the allen head bolt to loosen the collar; usually they align it so you can get to it later. If it wasn't for that, it's would have been easy enough to adjust on the vehicle without having to take it off or use a spring compressor. I soak the threads with PB or other penetrating lube the night before and then again before starting; lift the vehicle just enough to get the weight off (high enough to get the wheels just off the ground); carefully slightly loosen the collar bolt; then use the punch to start adjusting. If it's not wanting to move, sometimes I'll hit it with a rubber mallet to help get it going and/or use something on the punch for added leverage.

Thacrow[OP] likes this.
  11. Oct 2, 2021 at 2:42 PM
    Thacrow

Thacrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2021 ORP
    Speed holes

Products Discussed in

To Top