1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

About to give up!

Discussion in '1st Gen 4Runners (1984-1989)' started by flyright198, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Nov 10, 2018 at 5:21 PM
    flyright198

flyright198 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    1987 4Runner turbo
    After market direct replacement turbo
    Hey, I’m new to the forum. I’ve owned a 1987 turbo t4r for about two years now. Nice, clean truck with hardly any rust. I bought it in need of the turbo being replaced which I did. A Chinese identical replacement. I’m not a mechanic but there are a couple guys here in southern KY which have good reputations for working Toyotas. I’ve had it to both of them and they can only get it to run rough and not enough power to pull itself. So question number one is: Is there any one within 200 miles of southern KY that is an expert on the Toyota turbo? And Q#2 is: can I drop a 22RE engine including the wiring harness in this thing and go?

2. Jan 20, 2019 at 7:20 PM
    turbosteven

turbosteven New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    1986 4Runner 22RE
    None
    I would call Jerry at 22REPerformance (www.22reperformance.com) and ask him about the turbo. I know the owner, Jim, has a 22RE Turbo that he built and it has plenty of power. I am not sure if he rebuilds the turbos, but he certainly knows everything about the 22RE engines.

WallyT4R likes this.
  3. Jan 27, 2019 at 6:49 PM
    87ret4runner

87ret4runner New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle:
    Red 87 Turbo 4runner
    CT26 turbo, ARP Studs, 82 Supra AFM
    I have an 87 turbo 4 runner I upgraded to a CT26 maybe I can help... need to know what's been done and what the issue is...
    The turbo is VERY picky about any leaks... that's the first thing I'd look for...
    We've owned an 87 with a 22re for nearly 3 decades and gave it to our daughter that drove it in college... I've owned the 87 turbo 4runner for about 6 years...
    I'd NEVER go back to the 22re after driving the 22RET...

WallyT4R likes this.
  4. Dec 15, 2019 at 7:03 PM
    NightOwl

NightOwl 1985 Toyota 4 Runner DLX 22REC

Member:
    First Name:
    Amos
    Ballwin, MO
    Vehicle:
    1985 Toyota 4 Runner DLX
    LCE header, 2.5 inch exhaust, 31x 10.50 BF Goodrich, 15 X 8 aluminum wheels, Bilstein Shocks, 3 inch lift kit, 3M fender flares
    You know who may be able to help is LCE Engineering https://www.lcengineering.com...they are all pretty sharp and may be able to steer you to someone that can help if the recent post from Steven doesn't get you any where. We are all here to help keep these 4 Runners going...they are incredible vehicles that always get attention!!!

5. Dec 16, 2019 at 4:25 AM
    ajohnson

ajohnson Glamorous

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    87 4Runner SAS and other stuffs, 07 Tacoma
    Things and stuff and such
    If you swap to a 22re, you would need the 22re ECU and harness in place of the turbo ECU. I would not give up on it though. Need to check for exhaust/charge pipe leaks, vacuum leaks, confirm that the TPS sensor is functioning and adjusted properly, test the fuel pump, replace the fuel filter if there is no knowledge of it being changed.

How many miles are on it, and what have the two mechanics done?

BestGen likes this.
To Top