1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A golden oldy question.

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by Vandall01, Oct 9, 2022.

1. Oct 9, 2022 at 3:30 PM
    Vandall01

Vandall01 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Van
    Vehicle:
    2004 4runner Limited
    2004 4runner Limited with an issue. For some reason (Could be the new LED head/tail light install) the windows and sunroof stopped working. If I cut off, and remove the key, swap out the 10 amp fuse and start it back up everything works fine, then for no rhyme or reason they all stop working until I swap out the fuse again.

Have done the battery reset trick rolling half way down and then back up holding for a second with no luck. I thought maybe a short, but then why would it work when I swap out the fuse, and the fuse is always still good, never blows.

Anyone ran into this issue, as everything I read online is of a different problem not the same as mine, and suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Oct 9, 2022 at 4:49 PM
    White Walker

White Walker Double badass

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    White trd pro
    Leveling kit, n fab turning boards 285 70 17s nitric ats
    So if you didn't have the problem before the LED headlight/taillight upgrade then my best guess is there's the issue. Did you try swapping them back? This is exactly why I hate electrical when doing my own work on my vehicles!!!:annoyed:

Ironguy and Toy4X4 like this.
  3. Oct 10, 2022 at 1:34 AM
    Toy4X4

Toy4X4 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2020 Offroad Prem. 4-runner
    RevTek 3" front- 2" rear leveling, JBA uca's, LED interior lights, Cooper 275-70-17 AT3 LT
    That's a question for the 'electrical pros' here. I wonder if any related relays may be overheating and staying open? White Walker's idea.... yep, try that.

White Walker likes this.
  4. Oct 11, 2022 at 6:06 AM
    Ironguy

Ironguy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Bisbee AZ
    Vehicle:
    2020 Black 4Runner Venture 1967 FJ40 Land Cruiser
    New pine scent hanger, new sun shade
    Welcome! There are a number of wiring knowledgeable folks here.

5. Oct 11, 2022 at 12:41 PM
    PhantomTweak

PhantomTweak New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    OREGON
    Vehicle:
    1999 4Runner, bone stock
    None. Bone Stock. EXCEPT: Brushguard, tow hitch, both welded to the frame. It's good to have friends and a fully equipped garage!
    Honestly, relays are pretty immune to heat. Not completely, very few electronic components are, but pretty immune.
    What they are vulnerable to, more than anything else, is age, closely followed by corrosion.

I would replace the relay with an OEM one. If you choose, you can pull the casing off and check the contacts for corrosion build-up. They can be cleaned with some fine grit sand-paper, or ruby cloth. You can also ohm the coil out. It shouldn't be much more than 1-3 ohms resistance. Much more, the coil is bad, much less, it may be shorted. All a relay is is an electro-magnet, after all. If the coil has gone south, it no longer magnets, if that makes sense.

Generally though, it's the contacts build up corrosion over time. Every time they make, and break, a microscopic spark jumps the contacts, and every time deposits a tiny amount of crud/corrosion on the contacts. Enough builds up, the current can no longer pass through the contacts. If moisture gets in, and most relays aren't sealed at all, it will accelerate the process. High humidity, water intrusion, etc.

Finally, check the contacts where the relay plugs into it's socket. Same problem there. Corrosion/dirt buildup. Just as easy to clean.

Sorry, I'll shut up now...
    Pat☺

6. Oct 11, 2022 at 7:31 PM
    4scooter19

4scooter19 New Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    98 and 86 4Runners
    Wondering if you need to wire in resistors for the ECU to read the correct resistance. I have no idea if the circuits are related but I just ran I to an issue similar to this on my ford pickup. Installed a flatbed with LED lighting and found the brake light circuit was connected to several other circuits.

Products Discussed in

To Top