1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

99 Tall coils on 2wd?

Discussion in '3rd Gen 4Runners (1996-2002)' started by Kwilly, Oct 5, 2023.

1. Oct 5, 2023 at 1:44 PM
    Kwilly

Kwilly [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    2001 2wd 4Runner
    Hello 4Runner friends. First time poster here. Did my best to search and not start a new thread, but couldn't find any answers related to a 2wd.

I have a 2001 2wd that needs new shocks & springs. No offroading, just a daily driver.
    Would love to get the slight lift that the 99 Talls provide, since my 2001 is the shortest of all the years. The 99 Talls are an inch taller than most years, but I think a whole 2" taller than 2001's.
    But i haven't found anyone on these forums that's actually used them on a 2wd. The 99 Talls came with the 4wd 1999.

-Can anyone actually verify that these springs will fit on my car? I've heard from 2 other people on another forum that all the perches, shock tower geometry, etc is the same for 2wd vs 4wd, but hoping for further verification. Seems like if there's a 2 inch difference between 1999/2001 that Toyota may have changed something about the spring/shock fittings.

-Would 4wd springs be too stiff for the lighter weight of a 2wd? I don't expect a plush ride on a 4Runner, but not wanting a harsh jolt on every crack in the road.

-Could the front end up higher than the back since those springs were meant for the extra front weight of a 4wd? Or are they just taller but not stiffer springs?

Sorry for writing a novel here, but as a beginner wrencher I'm a little nervous about buying parts, getting things disassembled, only to find something won't work like I thought. Any answers would be appreciated!

2. Oct 12, 2023 at 5:57 PM
    zdale

zdale New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner SR5
    Stock
    You can use 99 tall springs no problem. I have My daughters 2wd 4cyl running on 99 talls and Bilstien 5100's Gave it a nice lift, soft ride not harsh,.

I also have my V6 2wd running on 99 tall's with KYB monomax shocks KYB 565002 MonoMax Gas Shock , Red X2 Front KYB 564002 MonoMax , This ride is stiffer at slow speeds but very confident on the Highway and off ramps again not harsh but more like a well balanced sports car suspension that can go over Speed bumps without jarring your teeth and hit dips in the road and not bottom the back out. I Like the ride better than the 5100 Bilstiens. I used Moog 81043 rear and Moog 81088 for the front. I also put a 10mm spacer in the back to give it a little rack. As it was basically level front to back without it. Overall I got approx 1-1/2 lift after they broke in on both trucks. Maybe 2" on the v6 which I contribute to the stiffer Monomax shocks.

3. Oct 12, 2023 at 6:20 PM
    Kwilly

Kwilly [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    2001 2wd 4Runner
    Thanks for the reply. I just happened to be online when it came through!
    I got several other confirming replies on the T4R forum in the last week, so I went ahead and ordered parts and received them today.
    I went with KYB Gas a Just shocks after finding several others had done that and were satisfied - and to save $. Seemed like the Monomax was meant for heavier duty applications and possibly a firmer ride than i want. Glad to hear it's working out well for you.
    I also ordered the Moog 99 talls. 81088 Front and 81041 Rear. Did you mean 81041? The 81043 is meant for the 2wd, so an inch shorter.
    Sounds like a good idea on the spacers - that may be a future project after loading it with camping gear a few times. I'll see how it does without first.
    I'm looking forward to the significant lift I think I'll see since mine is an '01 and riding on the bumpstops now. Cheers!

4. Oct 12, 2023 at 6:39 PM
    zdale

zdale New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner SR5
    Stock
  5. Oct 12, 2023 at 6:58 PM
    Kwilly

Kwilly [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    2001 2wd 4Runner
    Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about getting entirely new top hats since I have 245k miles and I figure the original isolators will disintegrate as I pull them out. And it'll let me have the new coilovers totally preassembled a day or 2 before instead of having to use the spring compressor so much in one day. But I just may save the money and just buy these isolators. Just to verify, these are the things that go on top of the front springs and underneath the strut mount plate? I'm new to all this.
    And they fit well on your original strut mount plate?

6. Oct 13, 2023 at 8:19 AM
    zdale

zdale New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dale
    Vehicle:
    2000 4runner SR5
    Stock

Products Discussed in

To Top