1. Welcome to 4Runners.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all 4Runner discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other 4Runner owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

98 4Runner Fuel Leak when filling up

Discussion in 'General 4Runner Talk' started by CoolToyota, May 22, 2023.

1. May 22, 2023 at 1:01 AM
    CoolToyota

CoolToyota [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4Runner 1A5
    My 3rd Gen 4 Runner was about empty- light was on so I pulled into my local gas station and started filling up - when the gas pump shut off I could hear liquid running onto the ground - looked under and gas was running out from the rear area below fill - all under the tank and the front area of tank. Exactly from where I’m not sure as of yet. I coasted away from pump and called for a tow.
    Got home - lowered spare tire so I could see the fill tube as I suspected that was the culprit yet all was attached by visual inspection and seemed firm and leak free. Any ideas or suggestions before I pump it out and drop tank ?

2. May 22, 2023 at 1:51 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    I had a similar problem with my 2001 years ago. I determined that the seal between the filler neck and tank had degraded over time from me squeezing just a little more in over the years. So I just stopped topping off, didn't pursue getting it fixed. That was also the likely cause of the evap codes I couldn't get to stop.

3. May 24, 2023 at 5:53 AM
    CoolToyota

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4Runner 1A5
    I checked that - it seems to be running down from above that location - I did look around (what I could see of it) the gasket of the fuel pump as I poured a little more gas in and it running off the tank and nothing seemed to be coming from around the pump - above that is the roll over valve - I’m suspect maybe that area or even something worse ( hole due to age). At good point I’m thinking I’m dropping the tank or maybe - someone posted a video and said they replaced that valve and seal by cutting through floor !

4. May 24, 2023 at 6:07 AM
    Daddykool

Daddykool Photography enthusiast

Member:
    It would be interesting to see what you find. Filler neck corrosion up higher, maybe. Mine definitely stopped when I stopped overfilling, which is why I assume it was at the filler neck connection to the tank. I never did confirm it, though.

5. May 28, 2023 at 3:02 AM
    CoolToyota

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4Runner 1A5
    Got the tank empty and dropped and well….didn’t really discover much - I think I will replace all the gaskets on the tank - might fill it up off the vehicle and see if anything leaks - the gaskets look ok but will replace anyway. Still scratching my head - new issue - how to find the boots that hold the suction assembly and then others to tank. Small Phillips head - cannot find anything online as far as specs

6. May 28, 2023 at 7:38 PM
    CoolToyota

Member:
    Vehicle:
    98 4Runner 1A5
    got tank off - the filler I reattached off vehicle
    Filled tank w (debated ) water
    No leaks - hose between filler pipe assembly and tank pump assembly (smaller diameter) looks worn. With it not connected water came out of tank side connection. I wondering if that hose(s) is the issue. Those two small hoses connect to a short pipe still attached to vehicle between fill assembly and tank. Not 100% satisfied yet but it’s about the only thing I’ve got.

Daddykool[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top